• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My personal new favorite emerging target for 2015 is essentially DMC circa 2013 clone

sturt

• Moderators

.470% TS% versus Carroll's .535% TS%

double the turnovers per 36

almost half the steals per 36

20% fewer rebounds per 36

Grant is a LOT younger than Carroll at that point, too.  20 versus 26.

.470% TS% versus Carroll's .535% TS%

double the turnovers per 36

almost half the steals per 36

20% fewer rebounds per 36

Grant is a LOT younger than Carroll at that point, too. 20 versus 26.

21 years old now...but still way younger.

21 years old now...but still way younger.

Oh I guess you meant last year my bad

• Premium Member

Yeah, I do appreciate the comparison in terms of numbers and perhaps calling him a "clone" went overboard a bit, but indeed, at age 20 DMC was still three years away from his first NBA season, so I'm more interested in just thinking about the essentials of the overall package for now...

- Suspect shooter, but clearly has some range and potential to improve

- High motor

- Strong D

Is he available? I've never seen him play but he got me intrigued from that video. Kid just needs some seasoning. I think he'll be ok

• Premium Member

Is he available? I've never seen him play but he got me intrigued from that video. Kid just needs some seasoning. I think he'll be ok

Answer: He plays for Philadelphia. Enough said.

(hehe)

A little more seriously, I have little doubt he could be obtained, but as always, the question is whether the two sides could agree on a reasonable price.

• Premium Member

Caaaaaarrreffulllllll... let's not get this thing detoured over to Trade Talk... hehe... I'm just saying, if we're not going to obtain and... importantly, pay for... an established starting SF, then Grant's my favorite other option that I'd like to see explored. (And no, I'm not just cow-towing to Dolf. :D ).

• Like 1

Carroll was an undersized center at Missouri. No one ever thought he could be effective as a wing in the NBA. He proved everyone wrong. 

The thing he has that Grant doesn't have is that "junkyard dog mentality." Very few people are as competitive as Carroll. That and his work ethic set him apart.

Grant is just an elite athlete with unworldly reach. He really has very little basketball skill other then his God given physical talent.

• Premium Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't know that I can agree that there's that much separation in mentality/competitiveness, and it's hard to know exactly what skills DMC was showcasing at age 20... he sure did seem to be developing skills through his career.

• Premium Member

Hadn't looked until now.

4th game looks like he probably suffered some injury after 5 minutes.

But in the 1st, he went 5/7.

In the 2nd, he went 5/7.

And in the 3rd, he went 4/4.

Yeah, I guess you could say he couldn't hardly miss.

Carroll was an undersized center at Missouri. No one ever thought he could be effective as a wing in the NBA. He proved everyone wrong. 

The thing he has that Grant doesn't have is that "junkyard dog mentality." Very few people are as competitive as Carroll. That and his work ethic set him apart.

Grant is just an elite athlete with unworldly reach. He really has very little basketball skill other then his God given physical talent.

Power Forward.

• Premium Member

What DX said as he was coming out of Cuse last summer... and I of course concur...

2015-07-09_1705.png

2015-07-09_1713.png

And, Grimey, while he certainly got minutes at PF in Philly last season, his greatest number of minutes came at SF (and he even got some at SG).

• Premium Member

Reading up on my newest man-crush... sounds like he's also a fit in terms of family and character, to the degree you can know much of anything like that from the outside anyhow... seeing a lot of talk about his work ethic between games impressing coaches.

Unfortunately, though, googling "Jerami Grant" and "chess" doesn't turn up anything.

• Like 1

Grant seems like a solid player that could contribute off the bench, but don't we need (or at least most of us think we need) a starting caliber SF? I think grant could be very good, but I think it might take a few years. I would like to see us get someone that can help us win now.

• Premium Member

Grant seems like a solid player that could contribute off the bench, but don't we need (or at least most of us think we need) a starting caliber SF? I think grant could be very good, but I think it might take a few years. I would like to see us get someone that can help us win now.

Ramblin, the Holiday signing really got me thinking, and so here's what I wrote shortly after, and is the reasoning behind my gravitation toward this kind of acquisition...

Given hours to digest it [iE, THE ACQUISITION OF ANOTHER SG], if another shoe doesn't drop--and I think we all hope one will--I'm left with

a) the fact that clearly Scott's being pushed to make himself more of an option for minutes at 3 (saying that based on it being the first thing out of his mouth in the exit interview), and

b) the fact that of all of the positions on the summer league roster, PF is the one where we seem to have gathered multiple guys with the potential to make an NBA roster (Smith, Moser and Ashley)... perhaps setting up a scenario where we keep one and slide Scott into a hybrid F slot.

c) the fact that Korver can... not preferable, but can... play 3.

Thus, as things stand now and assuming no other moves are expected, I think the natural conclusion is that DeMarre's minutes at 3 will be absorbed by Korver and Scott, with end-of-the-bench reinforcements Holiday and PF-to-be-named added to make up for minutes those two wouldn't be playing at their more natural positions.

So to my mind, it would be ideal... given our cap situation (very limited), and given the philosophical value placed on continuity and depth... to obtain a developmental guy who is an SF first and a PF second, and who can immediately contribute defensively even as we seek to help him develop his offensive game.