• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Doesn't Seem Like Much Has Been Done

hazer

The Spurs comparisons are mostly bogus. It's like comparing Guy Ritchie to Quentin Tarantino

They're both style over substance, and the padawan is basically ripping off the master while the master rips off foreigners?

I kid (kind of), always like seeing movie analogies though cuz I'm a movie snob.

No. You can't simply say a team has proven to win championships when they were healthy,  and then turn around and make an apples to oranges comparison to us when we weren't healthy our one chance at it. The point is that you, nor anyone else, knows what this team would have been able to accomplish if we had been healthy. The point was that health plays a huge part in winning in the playoffs, even for a team with "proven players" such as the Spurs. You can't say our players aren't proven or lacking, when they haven't even had a healthy chance at it.

It was also to point out how silly it was to think teams adjusted to our style of play when they haven't adjusted to the Spurs style of play. Injuries are what held them back last year, just like us.

And now that DMC has moved on, unfortunately we'll never know how far that team could have really gone. But, oh well.

This is why I say lets see what the Hawks due at full strength. If they go deep in the playoffs then the theory of the team has enough talent is good enough for naysayers however if they fall flat again in the playoffs what will your excuse be?

I'd add the #15 overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft as an "out" as well......

"I am sooo excited about Edy.  Very pumped.  This makes us giving up the #15 pick more bearable for sure." ~ AHF

• Moderators

You can't say our players aren't proven or lacking, when they haven't even had a healthy chance at it.

Isn't that the definition of unproven? Rookies are unproven because they haven't had a chance.

• Moderators

"I am sooo excited about Edy.  Very pumped.  This makes us giving up the #15 pick more bearable for sure." ~ AHF

I stand by that. I hated the trade of 15 but love us bringing Edy into the fold.

The big question for me is what happens at sf next year. The year prior to this we suffered big from a lack of depth on the wing. When DMC or KK were out our record was garbage. When they played it was good.

Now KK and Thabo are both coming off major injuries. Behind KK we have two clear SG backups in Bazemore and THJ. Behind Thabo there is no clear alternative - really just 2s and 4s. Our #15 roster spot has to be a 3. Who will it be? This inquiring mind wants to know!

• Like 3

I stand by that. I hated the trade of 15 but love us bringing Edy into the fold.

The big question for me is what happens at sf next year. The year prior to this we suffered big from a lack of depth on the wing. When DMC or KK were out our record was garbage. When they played it was good.

Now KK and Thabo are both coming off major injuries. Behind KK we have two clear SG backups in Bazemore and THJ. Behind Thabo there is no clear alternative - really just 2s and 4s. Our #15 roster spot has to be a 3. Who will it be? This inquiring mind wants to know!

Preaching to the choir over here. I'm beating the "trade for Chandler" horse to death. Sidenote: Oubre is 6'7 205, Holiday is 6'7 200. And you already know which one has the greater wingspan and BBIQ. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison on my part, Holiday has nothing to do with the 15th pick. But he is superior to the guy they originally picked there. Didn't Hawks come away with two 2nd-rounders in that swap?

RandomFan, on 09 Jul 2015 - 8:51 PM, said:

You can't say our players aren't proven or lacking, when they haven't even had a healthy chance at it.

Isn't that the definition of unproven? Rookies are unproven because they haven't had a chance.

There. Let's seperate the proven from the lacking argument.

This is why I say lets see what the Hawks due at full strength. If they go deep in the playoffs then the theory of the team has enough talent is good enough for naysayers however if they fall flat again in the playoffs what will your excuse be?

If we are healthy, then there wont be a need for an excuse. The FACT that we weren't healthy isn't an excuse, it's a FACT. But if healthy, either we get it done or we don't. However, if we lose in game 7 of the NBA finals, will you consider that a failure and want to blow up the team? Or will you consider that we have a good team and need to keep doing what we are doing and take another stab at it?

Overall I like this years team better than last years.  Like most, the loss of Carroll has me scratching my head regarding our SF position.  I think everyone's going to be enamored with Splitter by the 2nd month of the season.

• Moderators

The Spurs comparisons are mostly bogus. It's like comparing Guy Ritchie to Quentin Tarantino

I agree. The Spurs have a future HOF'er and 3 (now 5) All-Stars on their roster. If there is any comparison to the Spurs, maybe we can say that we are where the Spurs were back in '96. We haven't drafted our Duncan, Gino, or Parker. Horford could be our Robinson, but only because he is a fan fave to get a ring on his way out? IDK.

• Premium Member

Where I think we often talk past each other is this: ATL has adopted the Spurs operating philosophy. They just have. And whether they have an HOFer or not, they have. And they're going to continue to operate under that philosophy for awhile, perhaps even long-term. They bought-in... and now, some of us fans, too, have followed... because they are persuaded that following the philosophy ultimately results in success. So, to ignore the fact that this is the state of play in Hawks HQ now is, to my mind, oblivious. You can be critical of the viability of adopting the Spurs model w/o a Tim Duncan clone, but it doesn't change the fact that that adoption has occurred, and that we can anticipate decisions will continue to be made consistent with that model.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Where I think we often talk past each other is this: ATL has adopted the Spurs operating philosophy. They just have. And whether they have an HOFer or not, they have. And they're going to continue to operate under that philosophy for awhile, perhaps even long-term. They bought-in... and now, some of us fans, too, have followed... because they are persuaded that following the philosophy ultimately results in success. So, to ignore the fact that this is the state of play in Hawks HQ now is, to my mind, oblivious. You can be critical of the viability of adopting the Spurs model w/o a Tim Duncan clone, but it doesn't change the fact that that adoption has occurred, and that we can anticipate decisions will continue to be made consistent with that model.

What would the Spurs model do without a Duncan?  We don't know because Duncan has been the cornerstone of that franchise for as long as we've seen what we think of as today's Spurs operating philosophy.  When Robinson went down, SA embraced the opportunity to non-compete which led to Duncan.  From that point forward, they build themselves into what we think of as Spurs culture.  How would they operate without premium talent as the cornerstone?  That remains to be seen when and if that day finally comes.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What would the Spurs model do without a Duncan?  We don't know because Duncan has been the cornerstone of that franchise for as long as we've seen what we think of as today's Spurs operating philosophy.  When Robinson went down, SA embraced the opportunity to non-compete which led to Duncan.  From that point forward, they build themselves into what we think of as Spurs culture.  How would they operate without premium talent as the cornerstone?  That remains to be seen when and if that day finally comes.

Like I said. Regardless. Continuity and player development and all of that are purported hallmarks of the SA philosophy, and it's the state of play in SA East now. We've seen two years of it. In the second year, to the surprise of nearly everyone, ATL enjoyed its best season in the decades since arriving in the city. Are we what it looks like to operate without premium talent? I suppose you could say that, though, I also don't think our talent is the chopped liver that some appear to think it is. But, again... one can be critical of the process, but so far, in SA and now here... and based on what I've been reading lately, going back to Jerry Sloan and all of those winning years in UTA... the process/philosophy/system/model seems to speak for itself so far. It's the state of play, and even if one doesn't like that it's the state of play given the lack of a Duncan clone, s/he seemingly should take comfort in the fact that there is some plan and reason behind every decision being made... not haphazard about it.

Edited by sturt

The Hawks are in the early stages of the Bud regime and it does feel alot better being optimistic towards the future winning 60 games last year. The biggest worry is will the Hawks become another Utah or Atlanta Braves team where you have excellent regualr seasons but can't get over the hump in the playoffs due to not enough quality players.For arguments sake lets say the Hawks win 55-60 games a year for the next 5 years yet get bounced out in every round not makeing it to the NBA finals will the regime be a sucess?