• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could Teague set a new career-high in assists next season?

ATLHawks3

It started with a trip to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

Jeff Teague just wanted to visit hospitalized children to spread a little cheer last summer. He and the hospital got a whole lot more.

The Hawks guard felt compelled to donate $20 for each assist he had the previous season, a sum of $11,260. He felt he could do more. Teague and the hospital set up a program where he would match the figure again this year and challenge others to do the same. Those who matched his $20 per assist total would be All-Star sponsors. Others could give $2 per assist for $1,126 as Teammate sponsors. The money benefits the Hughes Spalding Hospital, according to a hospital spokesperson.

052115-hawks-main-CC41.jpgCurtis Compton
Cavaliers LeBron James guards Hawks Jeff Teague in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Wednesday, May 20, 2015, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com

“I went on a visit to Children’s to try to give the kids a little inspiration,” Teague said recently. “They go through a lot. I wanted to go there, see the kids, interact with them and have them interact with me. When I got there, I was touched. I wanted to do whatever I could to help out. That’s when we came up with the program.”

The giving will culminate with Teague’s inaugural Hoops for Hughes dinner on Saturday, Aug. 15 at Maggiano’s Buckhead. The event will feature a dinner, question and answer session, photographs with Teague and more for those who gave this year.

“When I met Jeff Teague of the Atlanta Hawks during a recent visit to Hughes Spalding, his thoughtfulness, kindness and compassion impressed me even more than him being a young basketball superstar,” said Julia Jones, Vice President Operations at Hughes Spalding. “His sensitivity towards the children we care for and his concern for their needs was very genuine. He seemed truly interested in gaining a greater understanding of the important work that is being done at Hughes Spalding and committed to supporting that work in every way he can.”

Teague said the Atlanta Hawks also donated to the cause.

There are plans to continue the program next year – and for years to come. Teague finished last season with 620 assists in the regular season and playoffs combined. He finished 10th in the NBA in regular-season assists with 513 and added 107 more in the postseason. His donation will be $12,400 dollars. He will ask others to match or give $1,260 at $2 per assist.

“I just wanted to give back,” Teague said. “I didn’t think it would grow into something like this. It’s a beautiful thing. At first it was just something I wanted to do from my heart. I just wanted to give back. Now, it’s grown into something beautiful and large.”

Hughes Spalding was opened in 1952 and today cares for more than 75,000 patients annually. It has a primary clinic, emergency department and several specialty clinics.

“Whatever they need the money for, I’m all for it,” Teague said. “I’ve been there. They are good people. I know they are going to use the money where it needs to be. I’m going to continue this for the rest of my career.”

For more information go to https://giving.choa.org/teague

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/teague-continues-his-assists-to-hughes-spalding-ho/nm9xS/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_hawks_sfp

• Like 3

If I was Teague, I'd come in with a HUGE chip on my shoulder. Dennis is gunning for his job, he needs to know that and come in wanting to keep it.

• Premium Member

Doubtful. He has the talent to do it, but our offensive system calls for everyone to pass the ball and get assists.

This is just hate right here.   Jeff ranked 8th among all players in Assists per game.  Assists per 48, he was 7th.. right behind Stephen Curry.  I think Jeff definitely has the talent to do it. 

The offensive system does provide a problem for him to be better than say Chris Paul because Teague doesn't have the ball in his hand at all time.  However, this disregarding Teague's ability and hating on him is weak.  BTW, Dennis was 36th in a/g, and 12 in a/48. 

This is just hate right here. Jeff ranked 8th among all players in Assists per game. Assists per 48, he was 7th.. right behind Stephen Curry. I think Jeff definitely has the talent to do it.

The offensive system does provide a problem for him to be better than say Chris Paul because Teague doesn't have the ball in his hand at all time. However, this disregarding Teague's ability and hating on him is weak. BTW, Dennis was 36th in a/g, and 12 in a/48.

Don't get how that's hate.

He's clearly stating the obvious and that's the fact that Teague does have the ability to get higher assist per game but it's more likely his assist numbers stay the same due to how Bud runs his offense.

Now what I think we can say is that Teague points per game will likely increase for sure now that DMC isn't on the team as well as Sap & Horfords ppg. I don't think Korvers points will increase much from last year but of course will still be a reliable scoring threat from the perimeter.

I believe Teague will avg 19/7 this next season. Tony Parker like stats. I believe Teagues passing is good enough for this system as it is, I rather see more consistent floaters and a greatly developed consistent mid range shot off the pick which he's very capable of making a go to play

Edited by JTB