• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott thread

Sothron

• Premium Member

Not sure why the other thread was closed but today more information came out. I think this is from the AJC:

Mike Scott could face up to 25 years in prison on two felony charges for his arrest last month.

He already admitted the drugs in the car were his. The 10.9 grams of MDMA carries a sentence of up to 15 years and his possession of 35.2 grams of marijuana carry a sentence up to 10 years. Banks County will wait for lab tests on the drugs to be returned before setting a court date, according to Assistant District Attorney Sam Skelton.

So...why hasn't he been suspended or released or contract nullified yet? Something? I believe  people are innocent until proven guilty but the guy already admitted the drugs were his and this is 2015. Look at how sports organizations deal with things like this. Quick to suspend or release a guy after initial arrest or report.

I'm kinda shocked the Hawks have sat silent on this for so long.
  • Like 1

• Admin

Not sure why the other thread was closed but today more information came out. I think this is from the AJC:

Mike Scott could face up to 25 years in prison on two felony charges for his arrest last month.

He already admitted the drugs in the car were his. The 10.9 grams of MDMA carries a sentence of up to 15 years and his possession of 35.2 grams of marijuana carry a sentence up to 10 years. Banks County will wait for lab tests on the drugs to be returned before setting a court date, according to Assistant District Attorney Sam Skelton.

So...why hasn't he been suspended or released or contract nullified yet? Something? I believe  people are innocent until proven guilty but the guy already admitted the drugs were his and this is 2015. Look at how sports organizations deal with things like this. Quick to suspend or release a guy after initial arrest or report.

I'm kinda shocked the Hawks have sat silent on this for so long.

There has been no verdict or even trial ... until he is found guilty and sentenced there will probably be nothing from us.

Based on what you said ... its safe to assume that he is done and we soon will be longing for a replacement

So domestic abuse is the only crime that gets a response from a team or a sports league?

There's no emoticons to convey the disgust...

Could you list this supposed lengthy list of instances where a team took immediate action over a player's first time drug offense?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Could you list this supposed lengthy list of instances where a team took immediate action over a player's first time drug offense?

You did not say that. You specifically said only domestic abuse would get a response.

You did not say that. You specifically said only domestic abuse would get a response.

Is that not the main offense that teams have been taking immediate action on? Even in most.of those cases, the team waited it out before taking action. Ray rice was good to go before the video came out. The guy for the 49ers was given a pass until he had a second case of domestic abuse.

Ty lawson just had his third DUI and the nuggets didnt fine or suspend him and thats a far more dangerous crime.

I cant think of any recent instances where a team took immediate action against a player after committing a victimless crime. So what instances were you referring to in your original post?

To me, the key to this entire thing is:

"He admits that the drugs are his."

Anyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.  I agree with this.

When he admitted that the drugs are his, what more proof of guilt do we

require?

Does any one now see any way he's going to get out of this?  He may not

be sent to "The big house" over this but do any of you see the Hawks keeping

him after this?

Is the NBA stopping the Hawks?  They probably can't release him or anything

else until the NBA says it's all right but what are they waiting on?

to_keep_order.gif

• Like 3

Truth is that the NBA isn't worried about random drug offenses or DUIs harming its image to be issuing wanton suspensions left and right.  This isn't steroids in baseball or the litany of violent crimes in the NFL where they can cite protection of the league's public image as reasoning for swift reprisals.  Odd, I know, given that the NBA probably leads all leagues in arrests on a per capita basis.   So knowing that, what exactly would be the impetus for either the league or the Hawks to reach a swift conclusion when, you know, there are actual guidelines to handle offenses like this that they could also follow?

So domestic abuse is the only crime that gets a response from a team or a sports league?

There's no emoticons to convey the disgust...

The Ray Rice incident and Goodell's handling is what has prompted immediate action on domestic abuse cases that were previously brushed aside.

Drug related and DUI offenses typically get league punishments after the legal process is adjudicated unless there have been previous/multiple offenses from what I can remember.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Larry Sanders got 10 games and then a buyout from the bucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_banned_or_suspended_by_the_NBA#Suspended

So is there a difference between testing positive for marijuana and getting arrested for possessing it?   Apparently Scott hasn't tested positive in any of the league testing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_banned_or_suspended_by_the_NBA#Suspended

So is there a difference between testing positive for marijuana and getting arrested for possessing it?   Apparently Scott hasn't tested positive in any of the league testing.

I'm pretty sure Larry's was after numerous offenses. 

• Like 1

So is there a difference between testing positive for marijuana and getting arrested for possessing it? Apparently Scott hasn't tested positive in any of the league testing.

Sanders had previous drug related infractions, plus an assault conviction, etc.

On April 4, 2014, Sanders was given a five-game suspension for violating the NBA's drug policy after testing positive for marijuana.[12]Sanders again violated the NBA's drug policy during the 2014–15 season and was subsequently suspended without pay for a minimum of ten games on January 16, 20

I love how people think a contract can just be nullified for any reason.  This is real life and not some fairy tale.  You can't just go around voiding contracts at will.

I just voided your Hawksquawk contract. Nothing you can do, and if you do I sue you. {/sarcasm}