• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hardaway says he will bring defense

capstone21

• Moderators

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Thabo brought in mainly for defense with offense being the bonus? If so, the comparison to THJr isn't really valid as THJr is here for offense with defense being the bonus. 

That's true but my point was that it takes some time to get comfortable in this offense.  While Thabo wasn't expected to be a scorer he still struggled in the offense at first despite being a seasoned vet.   Baze was the same.  And THJ is a young guy who is probably pushing too hard to make an impression.   This is the first time he's been on a winning, functional team with a lot of guys who know what they are doing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

And THJ is a young guy who is probably pushing too hard to make an impression.   This is the first time he's been on a winning, functional team with a lot of guys who know what they are doing.

But the question still remains...What did Bud see in THJ and Holiday that he didn't see in Glen Robinson III or Bobby Portis for that matter?  I think that I would much Rather have the latter 2 over the former

But the question still remains...What did Bud see in THJ and Holiday that he didn't see in Glen Robinson III or Bobby Portis for that matter?  I think that I would much Rather have the latter 2 over the former

I guess that's the conundrum in this argument. And to be honest we probably aren't going to see an answer right away. With that being said, I'll trust the judgment of a coach that has won Coach of the Year at this point. I'm looking foward to seeing how this plays out.

• Like 1

I don't even think it's really that compelling a question at this point.  As @HawksNWaffles alludes to, Budz has earned enough currency for us to trust his judgment.  He's not perfect but he's been rolling mostly 7's so far.

Still though, I do hate that I couldn't use this as my avatar ...

Image result for bobby portis funny picture

Edited by kg01

• Moderators

Pretty much this.  For all those still whining about the trade, I propose stickying a thread comparing Oubre's and THJr's stats this season.  DLeague nimbahs don't count.

Not sure how much you are going to get out of comparing a 19 year old with a 23 year old, but have at it.

• Like 1

Not sure how much you are going to get out of comparing a 19 year old with a 23 year old, but have at it.

Nothing meaningful really.  Just still railing against the draft night gnashing of teeth over us trading a guy who I don't think will ever amount to much in the league.

Can I have my irrational moment(s) please?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Thabo brought in mainly for defense with offense being the bonus? If so, the comparison to THJr isn't really valid as THJr is here for offense with defense being the bonus. 

We knew what Thabo would bring after 8 years in the league.  THJr is still a toss up (decent in year 1, horrible in year 2) work in progress.  I would actually prefer to see a jump in his defense while he figures out the offense.   At his point, him missing open shots within the flow of the offense instead of just doing his own thing and chucking shots (like in NY) I can live with.  

Defense is why we won 19 straight, if he can show improvement there it's a step in the right direction.  I still want him working hard on defense even if his offense isn't clicking.  I also think he'll be able to help with rebounding as a SG - we need all the help we can get there.

• Moderators

who should we compare, if anyone at all.

There were a lot of people available at that slot.  The Wizards wanted Oubre so that is who we drafted.  I don't think we drafted Oubre anymore than we drafted Pau Gasol.

There were a lot of people available at that slot.  The Wizards wanted Oubre so that is who we drafted.  I don't think we drafted Oubre anymore than we drafted Pau Gasol.

Agreed, but I think if the guy who Bud WANTED was available at 15 he would be on the roster. 

Then I guess it's a comparison between who each Squawker wanted and THJr.

The comparison is in trading the 19th for THJr. I think theres a possiblity that Oubre was raw and had tools that Bud could've potentially molded into the SF we're lacking vs a player that may be who he is. Sure THjr is pretty young and may be molded as well but as an SG. Time will tell. However, I'm not convinced that we could've gotten him for less. 

The comparison is in trading the 19th for THJr. I think theres a possiblity that Oubre was raw and had tools that Bud could've potentially molded into the SF we're lacking vs a player that may be who he is. Sure THjr is pretty young and may be molded as well but as an SG. Time will tell. However, I'm not convinced that we could've gotten him for less. 

So we compare the PG taken at 19th?  which we definitely didn't need to THJr.?

Agreed, but I think if the guy who Bud WANTED was available at 15 he would be on the roster. 

Then I guess it's a comparison between who each Squawker wanted and THJr.

EXACTLY...the thing is bud did get who he wanted at the end of the day. Bud has been outspoken as well as koonin in saying that they have always had an eye on THJ and that's who they wanted and was surprised they could get him for what they stated as "so cheap".....therefore since bud who should have earned all NBA fans, analysts, players and whoever else respect by now says he wanted a certain player and actually managed to get hands on getting that player on the team we should at the absolute least give BUD and that specific player (THJ) 2-3 months to prove themselves...since bud is a top 5 coach and player developer in this League along with one of the best staffs.

Plus I can already see the effort from THJ being on this team! The dude is really putting out the effort especially defensively however I'm thinking the offense struggles are coming from stressing out as he's not relaxed. Once he settles down he will be fine but being on a team that has a great coach, a structured organization, and around players that know what the hell they are doing he's trying too hard not to mess up rather than just freely flowing and learning.

lets just let THJ get comfortable in this offense and defense then we can judge him....but the thing about that is (and I don't mean to contradict my point in giving THJ 2-3 months) but even after 2-3 months he may not start showing improvement until February and may not really be clicking until next season similar to Teague and DMC who to me stood out more in year 2 under bud rather than in year one. All in all We will see THJ improve TRUST ME but it may not come until the 2nd half of the season is my main point.

(long post as usual my bad)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

who should we compare, if anyone at all.

The Hawks could have gone in so many different directions...Drafting Oubre was probably #10 on the list of players available to the Hawks thru the draft and free agency.

Edited by Peoriabird
typo