• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kent Bazemore to start at SF

I'm ok with this. Baze worked his tail off, he showed up well in the exhibition also, he gets the nod. I would still like to see more of Thabo late in the games, specially in the close games to shore up our D and finish off the opponent.

Sure, Blaze is 3" shorter and 10lbs lighter than DMC. But has a 7' wingspan, which is 3" longer than DMC's. And is faster and more athletic. I do see him more as our SG of the future, but until Hawks land that 3 they've been looking for this will be great experience until he can take over for Threezus when he retires. And becomes Bud's assistant :Korver:

• Premium Member

I'd be interested if it was said just that way to C-viv (... I'm suspicious based on other things Bud has said at times, it was merely said that Baze is starting...) because I think in actuality, Korver's going to end up guarding the opposing SF. You can get by with our SGs playing SF on occasion, but there are two legit SF bodies on our roster that you're going to characteristically have to play against the other legit SF bodies as a rule.

Am I alone in that thinking?

Edited by sturt
Clarification for my initial assertion about what was said to C-viv
  • Like 1

I'd be interested if it was said just that way to C-viv (... I'm suspicious based on other things Bud has said at times, it was merely said that Baze is starting...) because I think in actuality, Korver's going to end up guarding the opposing SF. You can get by with our SGs playing SF on occasion, but there are two legit SF bodies on our roster that you're going to characteristically have to play against the other legit SF bodies as a rule.

Am I alone in that thinking?

Outside of PG, I don't think we have defined positions on this team.  I would say we have at least 3 'legit' SF bodies on this team with Thabo, Korver and Millsap.  Bazemore will do fine guarding 2's or 3's on most nights.  He has great length and great athleticism which will be plenty as long as he's not facing one of the few elite big body scoring wings.

• Premium Member

While we may not have defined positions offensively, the bottom-line is who you are guarding defensively, as you seem to agree JetSet.

Body frame-wise, I get why you'd bring up Millsap. I'm just not sure about Millsap seeing any time guarding SFs, particularly given what a force he's developed into guarding 4s.

I'm intrigued to see if we're going to see Korver and Bazemore play beside each other most of the time, and then Thabo and Hardaway substituting for both... an offense/defense paired rotation. Of course, I'm at a disadvantage not seeing any preseason games... did that happen against Memphis (the supposed "real game" in the bunch)?

While we may not have defined positions offensively, the bottom-line is who you are guarding defensively, as you seem to agree JetSet.

Body frame-wise, I get why you'd bring up Millsap. I'm just not sure about Millsap seeing any time guarding SFs, particularly given what a force he's developed into guarding 4s.

I'm intrigued to see if we're going to see Korver and Bazemore play beside each other most of the time, and then Thabo and Hardaway substituting for both... an offense/defense paired rotation. Of course, I'm at a disadvantage not seeing any preseason games... did that happen against Memphis (the supposed "real game" in the bunch)?

I would say Thabo and Millsap are clearly our best options at guarding the elite SFs.  I think it's very obvious that Bud plans on playing Millsap/Horford/Splitter at the same time this year.  This is why we saw Horford jacking 3's so often in the preseason.  While being great defensively, that trio, on the court at the same time, will hurt our spacing and Horford shooting 3's will help gain some of the spacing back.  I believe Bud's confidence in Millsap defending elite 3's is proven by our roster moves this off-season.  We would have signed a bigger body if Thabo was our only option to defend those players.

From the Memphis game, it looked like we will have a main 8-man rotation of the starters +Dennis/Thabo/Splitter.  Those 8 will receive consistent minutes on a nightly basis.

Splitter subbed in for Bazemore after 5 minutes.  Thabo/Baze/Dennis subbed in for Horford/Korver/Teague after 7.5 minutes. Muscala subbed for Millsap 1 minute after. 

Hardaway Jr. didn't enter the game until 8 minutes in to the 3rd quarter.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

As long as Baze stays within himself, he can be a good starter for us.  I just don't want to see him trying to do too much and getting erratic with his play, that's the only way I could see him hurting us.  It will be interesting to see how he plays bigger/stronger 3's as well.

I like that his FT% has improved and I know the kid will hustle so I think this will work out overall.

Edited by AUhawksfan

• Premium Member

Baze will be guarding the other teams best wing player unless he's on the floor with Thabo.

Okay. I guess I tend to agree.

Let's think out loud about this. Who are the barrel-chested SFs around the league who have such an effective post-up game that we probably don't want Baze guarding on any consistent basis?

1. James

2. Anthony

3. Gallinari

4. Deng

5. Leonard

6. ?

Okay. I guess I tend to agree.

Let's think out loud about this. Who are the barrel-chested SFs around the league who have such an effective post-up game that we probably don't want Baze guarding on any consistent basis?

1. James

2. Anthony

3. Gallinari

4. Deng

5. Leonard

6. ?

Deng?  I would love for the Heat to try and force the issue with post-ups for Deng.  I think that would only benefit us.

• Like 1

Sure, Blaze is 3" shorter and 10lbs lighter than DMC. But has a 7' wingspan, which is 3" longer than DMC's. And is faster and more athletic. I do see him more as our SG of the future, but until Hawks land that 3 they've been looking for this will be great experience until he can take over for Threezus when he retires. And becomes Bud's assistant :Korver:

Still, Bazemore a considerable drop off from Carroll.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Still, Bazemore a considerable drop off from Carroll.

I think it's too early to say that.  Carroll made his big jump in year 2 under Bud and Bazemore is about to enter year 2.  Carroll's size and quick release may end up being his only advantage over Bazemore.  Carroll was an average defender who gave elite effort, a good 3 pt shooter and slasher but he couldn't dribble.  

• Like 1