• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kent Bazemore to start at SF

I think it's too early to say that.  Carroll made his big jump in year 2 under Bud and Bazemore is about to enter year 2.  Carroll's size and quick release may end up being his only advantage over Bazemore.  Carroll was an average defender who gave elite effort, a good 3 pt shooter and slasher but he couldn't dribble.  

We'll see if Kent can shoot in the high 40's from the field as well as 39% in three's I doubt it... I think he is too much of a streak shooter.

The decision has been made.

The biggest question facing the Hawks this preseason was who would replace DeMarre Carroll as the team’s starting small forward. The answer is Kent Bazemore.

When the Hawks tip off the 2015-16 NBA season Tuesday night against the Pistons at Philips Arena, Bazemore join Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap and Al Horford in the starting lineup. Coach Mike Budenholzer confirmed his decision following Monday’s practice. The AJC reported that Bazemore would start earlier in the day.

“It’s a blessing to be out there with four All-Stars,” Bazemore said. “It’s a dream come true. We’ve got a long season ahead of us and, obviously, I have some big shoes to fill. Let’s get after it.”

Bazemore spoke having not yet been told of his new role. When Budenholzer made the announcement later he joked “I might have to make a phone call now.”

The decision to put Bazemore in the starting lineup was not a surprise following training camp and exhibition games. Bazemore appeared in five games and started all with the four regulars. He sat out exhibition games against the Mavericks and the finale against the Pistons, as all five starters did not play in the final tune-up. The Hawks are also bringing Thabo Sefolosha along slowly in his recovery from a broken right leg and ligament damage in his ankle.

The 6-foot-5 Bazemore averaged 10.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 22.2 minutes during the preseason. In last week’s full rehearsal against the Grizzlies, Bazemore had 18 points, two rebounds and two assists in 31 minutes. He was 7 of 10 from the field, including 2 of 3 from 3-point range.

Bazemore reflected Monday on how far he has come in three years. As a senior at Old Dominion he was arrested for DUI. He was arrested again minutes before a game against Mercer, what was to be his last collegiate contest, for not complying with the conditions of his suspended sentence when he failed to complete an alcohol safety course on schedule. He went from zero to nine pre-draft workouts after his agent, Austin Walton, convince teams he was an NBA quality defender. Still, Bazemore went undrafted. He landed a spot with the Warriors Summer League team, which turned into a contract. There were 61 games in his rookie year of 2012-13. The following year he split the season between the Warriors and the Lakers after a trade. Bazemore signed a two-year contract with the Hawks last summer.

“It’s definitely surreal,” Bazemore said. “… It’s just been a great ride, to say the least, to come from those kinds of depths to be here, smiling and talking about it. You definitely have to count your blessings and keep working. Keep working at the things that got you here. My work ethic, belief in myself and belief from others around me has helped me get to this stage.”

Bazemore appeared in 75 games, 10 starts, for the Hawks last season. He averaged 5.2 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 17.6 minutes. His role expanded late in the regular season and into the playoffs with season-ending injuries to Sefolosha and Kyle Korver.

“He is one of those guys who brings an edge, an energy, and hopefully it fits well with our team,” Budenholzer said. “We love how competitive his is and the edge he plays with. It really has a big impact on the group.”

Sefolosha will see significant time off the bench at small forward as he continues his return from injury. Whether Sefolosha eventually works his way into the starting lineup remains to be seen. When the season starts Tuesday, the job belongs to Bazemore.

http://atlantahawks.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/26/bazemore-will-start-at-small-forward-for-hawks-in-opener/

We'll see if Kent can shoot in the high 40's from the field as well as 39% in three's I doubt it... I think he is too much of a streak shooter.

Maybe, maybe not.  Demarre shot only 36.2% in 13/14 before shooting 39.5% last year.  Baze will get much better looks since he will be out there with the starters instead of the bench.  He will get the chance to feast off of those wide open looks that Demarre took advantage of last year. Baze shot 36.4% last year.

Maybe consistent minutes is what Baze needs to be more consistent with his 3.  He shot 41.4% from 3, on 36/87, in games where he played at least 20 minutes vs 24%, on 12/50, in games where he played less than 20 minutes.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

re: C-Viv's column

Like I said... it appears to be C-Viv's interpretation... Bazemore may get a limited number of minutes at small forward on occasion, but he's not a small forward as most people think of small forwards.

Maybe, maybe not.  Demarre shot only 36.2% in 13/14 before shooting 39.5% last year.  Baze will get much better looks since he will be out there with the starters instead of the bench.  He will get the chance to feast off of those wide open looks that Demarre took advantage of last year. Baze shot 36.4% last year.

But it seemed like he was off much of the time while Carroll was money so often.

Moreover, Bazemore's shooting numbers were much better off the bench:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/6637/kent-bazemore

Starter: 39.3% FG 30.6% 3pt

Bench: 43.8% FG and 38.5% 3pt

Small sample size as a starter, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that Kent is a quality stater.

But it seemed like he was off much of the time while Carroll was money so often.

Small sample size as a starter, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that Kent is a quality stater.

I was busy editing the post you quoted while you were responding.  Here's my edit:

Maybe consistent minutes is what Baze needs to be more consistent with his 3.  He shot 41.4% from 3, on 36/87, in games where he played at least 20 minutes vs 24%, on 12/50, in games where he played less than 20 minutes.

Did you think that Carroll was a quality starter when we signed him?

Kent will be fine as long as he sticks to what he does bset, play defense, shoot when open and bring his energy.

I think the effort is what got him the nod as well as Sefolosha's injury. My thinking is that you dont keep your best defender on the bench while the opponents best offensive player is on the floor going off on you. If it were me Sefolosha would be the starter every night just to insure our opponents didnt get into a rhythm early. But like I said Baze's  effort must be to the point where Bud likes his energy along side the starters more than Sefolosha's savvy and effortless style. Plus Bazemore has developed in to a better two way threat. We will need both to perform at a high level if we are to be successful this year. 

Honestly, I think it's about Sef not being completely ready to roll and/or Bud being cautious... but the more positive spin is to chat up Baze.

I disagree.  I think the job is Baze's all year as long as he performs well.  It just makes sense to pair a younger player with a veteran on each unit.  We need a couple of vets coming in with Dennis and Thabo has been injury prone over the past 3 years.  Bud brought in the GSW training staff for a reason.  His main goal is to get to the playoffs healthy and the likelihood of Thabo going down increases significantly if he is playing 25+ minutes per game.

• Premium Member

Point well-taken.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Baze "performs well all year," but then again, I've already started out the season pleasantly surprised by a lot of things, so I like the trend. And, we're not actually saying anything that different, right?--i.e., that Bud has reason to be cautious isn't a whole lot different than saying his main goal is to keep Thabo as healthy as possible for 82+ games. But for that reason for caution, I think Thabo gets the nod. Bazemore played well in spurts last season, but not enough to secure a starting slot were it not for a perfect storm allowing him the opportunity. But yeah... let's hope we see just more of the same as he did in the Grizzlies game.

• Like 1

Baze is about to make us forget about Demarre.

call me crazy but I think bazemore can be better than DMC in buds system due to his athleticism being a lot better than DMC. 

Once baze consistently knocks down that 3pt shot and continues to grow in buds system he will flourish BIG time. I think he's going to surprise many.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think it's about Sef not being completely ready to roll and/or Bud being cautious... but the more positive spin is to chat up Baze.

the job is bazemores to lose at this point. If he plays well like I know he can...he will remain starter.

I'd be interested if it was said just that way to C-viv (... I'm suspicious based on other things Bud has said at times, it was merely said that Baze is starting...) because I think in actuality, Korver's going to end up guarding the opposing SF. You can get by with our SGs playing SF on occasion, but there are two legit SF bodies on our roster that you're going to characteristically have to play against the other legit SF bodies as a rule.

Am I alone in that thinking?

nope I said the same thing because korver does have legit SF size like you mentioned but ultimately it will be whoever is the opposing teams better offensive player between SG and SF position and that will be bazemores matchup for that game.

The thing is, is that We can't worry about strength and our players getting over powered at the 3 because the only way to really stop that is by putting sap or Thabo at the 3. I don't believe korver is any stronger than bazemore honestly so if they are both going to be on the court at the same time you mind as well put bazemore who's the better defender on the opponents best offensive player between SG/SF

offensively  bazemore and korvers roles won't change. It doesn't matter who's guarding korver they are going to be running around like crazy to keep up with him. As for bazemore he will take the DMC role which to me had nothing to do with strength it was all about smarts and finishing which DMC excelled at and I believe bazemore can do too.

• Premium Member

call me crazy but I think bazemore can be better than DMC in buds system due to his athleticism being a lot better than DMC. 

Once baze consistently knocks down that 3pt shot and continues to grow in buds system he will flourish BIG time. I think he's going to surprise many.

You're not crazy.

But you're perpetually optimistic... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course.

• Like 2

I agree 100%.  Demarre has become severely overrated after his hot postseason.  This is a guy that was in Baze's same spot 2 years ago and now people act like it's impossible for a player to improve like Demarre did.

I would say Baze is naturally a better athlete than Demarre.  He is just more fluid and quicker.  His dribble is also much better than Demarre's. 

• Like 1

• Admin

I agree 100%.  Demarre has become severely overrated after his hot postseason. 

I don't know if DMC is overrated ... he just worked hard and fit our system perfectly.  He was the unheralded guy of our starters until he was able to get to the limelight.  

I don't know if DMC is overrated ... he just worked hard and fit our system perfectly.  He was the unheralded guy of our starters until he was able to get to the limelight.  

Many of the "experts" are saying losing DMC will cause us to win about 10 games less.  Go on realgm and the common theme is DMC was our best defender and we will suffer greatly without him.  That is overrating him big time. 

• Like 1

Many of the "experts" are saying losing DMC will cause us to win about 10 games less.  Go on realgm and the common theme is DMC was our best defender and we will suffer greatly without him.  That is overrating him big time. 

Agreed, he was important to us yes, but the expectation of the losses because of him is downright silly.