• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabo: Defensive Sage

benhillboy

I was gonna mention him in the Celtics game thread but after checking a few numbers I had to crank up a thread to follow this guys' season.  I was too lazy to find his field goal percentages against from the various distances, I'm sure someone will help.

But this dude is 1 of 5 guards among top 50 in blocks per foul, 
number 1 overall (with a bullet) in steals per foul, well ahead of The Hooping Prophet (you know him as Steph), and 2nd overall in the Association in defensive plays per foul behind Whiteside (Al 4th?!).  

He's the embodiment of Popovich's "defense without fouling" edict.  His elite anticipation skills, ultra-fluid lateral movement, and deceptively strong and quick hands make for a special wing defender.  I never cared about his offensive production: he'll get in where he fits and minimize turnovers.  His shot has looked better, starting 6-6 tonight wasn't too shabby.

I don't know how, but he makes playing defense look pretty.  I always thought he was the reason we ascended in January in points allowed and wins, conversely his absence the main reason we slowly regressed into a shell of ourselves by the Conference Finals after that dreaded NY night.  

It's like clockwork: he's inserted into the game or starts, we run.   He goes out, they run.  We need one of them oxygen mask sh@ts NFL players be using for Thabo.

• Like 3

I'm telling you man you play your best players. Your best defender is one of your best players regardless of position or offensive output. People complain about him not being a good shooter but you can't deny great defense almost always leads to easy offense. So I will take the extra transition opportunities over having another 3point shooter on the floor.

• Like 1

What a performance by Thabo....WOW!!!  He filled the box score across the board.  The most surprising thing was his aggressiveness on offense driving to the basket.  Need to see more of that.

7 rebounds. 3 asssists, 3 steals and 3 blocks.

16 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I think we are better with him as a starter ....

It might be to our advantage to also have Baz's energy off the bench

I was going to make a thread on this but your comment beat me to it.  We've had some slow starts and Thabo could help.  Thabo has played recently like a man on a mission who wants that starting spot.  It also seems like he has a little chip on his shoulder this season which I like.  I wonder if the NYPD incident has something to do with that.....

I agree that Baze may be better suited as an energizer off the bench.  Not that he has been a terrible starter, I just think he fits that role better.

Poor guy.  He's a great defensive player but he can't score.  (He only went 6-6 from the floor.

what do you want?) 

Bazemore, with his speed, quickness off the bench, along with his ability to score, should partially

make up for the absence of DMC.

• Like 1