• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it possible that the refs will make us a marked team?

Wurider05

What is more typical (and you see it often in most games) a coach gets himself thrown out and the team rallies behind him. One of the reasons for this is when a coach throws this tantrum, it brings scrutiny to the game in question. This was one of my biggest complaints of both Woody and Drew. Both were very hesitant to stand up for their guys and take the ejection. To see Bud go aggressively after the referee to protect his guy (despite the incidental contact), will protect our guys down the road and is required every once and a while to draw attention to the officiating for your squad.

Interesting article on it from one of the best coaches in NBA history.  https://jazzbasketball.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/how-many-technical-fouls-was-jerry-sloan-assessed/

• Moderators
4 hours ago, thecampster said:

One of my favorite quotes of all time is "you get what you tolerate". Letting the refs know that you aren't going to tolerate one of your players getting raked across the face as he goes up for a layup is key to elevating officiating scrutiny in the playoffs.

Historically there has absolutely been pressure on the refs not to get superstars in foul trouble.   The NBA has gotten slightly, and i mean very slightly, better and more transparent about calling the games but as you point out the refs all know that if they make a bad call on Lebron it's going to bring a lot of attention.   So human nature is to avoid that.   There is no pressure to give the Hawks the benefit of the doubt.   I mean how much grief did they get for ejecting Horford from a playoff game?   Almost none.   Yet there were serious debates about whether Delladova diving into Korver's knee and rolling was a dirty play.   And the only reason he wasn't universally condemned as dirty was he played for Lebron.   If Lamar Patterson does that to Lebron he'd be suspended for the entire playoffs.   

So I definitely think Bud needs to stand up for his team more and get in the refs ear.   We're getting pushed around right now.   

• Premium Member

Look, we all know we aren't gonna get the calls against the Cavs, who does? But what has bothered me this year is our lack of calls against teams like the Timberwolves. I mean really, the freaking timberwolves get more respect than us? Why do refs hate this team year in and year out? It definitely feels personal sometimes, like they flat out just don't like us for whatever reason.