If the Hawks really want to compete for championships

Lurker

They should be doing a scorched earth rebuild.

There is no way they are going to come close with any of the featured players they have now. All top end FAs are going to continue laughing in their face if they try and get down on their knees and beg and plead for them to come here, and they aren't going to get star talent in trading their assets.

So here's what one looks like:

Al Horford for Brooklyn's first rounder from Boston.

Paul Millsap for Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo from Orlando.

Thabo Sefolosha for Allen Crabbe from Portland.

Jeff Teague for Willie Cauley Stein from Sacramento.

Kyle Korver for Robert Covington from Philadelphia.

Starting lineup for the rest of the season: Schröder/Oladipo/Covington/Harris/Cauley-Stein.

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

They should be doing a scorched earth rebuild.

There is no way they are going to come close with any of the featured players they have now. All top end FAs are going to continue laughing in their face if they try and get down on their knees and beg and plead for them to come here, and they aren't going to get star talent in trading their assets.

So here's what one looks like:

Al Horford for Brooklyn's first rounder from Boston.

Paul Millsap for Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo from Orlando.

Thabo Sefolosha for Allen Crabbe from Portland.

Jeff Teague for Willie Cauley Stein from Sacramento.

Kyle Korver for Robert Covington from Philadelphia.

Starting lineup for the rest of the season: Schröder/Oladipo/Covington/Harris/Cauley-Stein.

I doubt ORL would trade Harris AND Oladipo.

There's no way SAC trades WCS for Teague, especially when they got Rondo who is playing good and likely to resign him.

Hawks still have talent but  not the same level talent as  last year when they still  had DMC. An average talented player is good enough that can fit in the system and also plays good defense. They dont really need to beg for a superstar, imo.   A lucky draft pick , and good scouting overseas  or here in US would help too.

You do need talent to win a championship, but it takes more than talent to win a championship just like Tim Duncan said. If Hawks have a decent amount of talent, every player fits in the system and plays good team defense and plays unselfishly, then i believe hawks can go to that championship level caliber team. I know it will happen because of Bud, who has been part of SA's organization and  big part of success when Spurs  won those early previous championships.  It will just take some time, a lot of hardwork and patience. 

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

Bud has also assistant coached a team of possibly 3  future HoFers and one of the most complete rosters of all time.  It's not the same. If he has the same level of success here, that's be great and I truly hope he does. However, with this current team, I  just don't see it. 

That said, I've been wrong before (last season) and I wouldn't be upset if I was again. 

Edited by Mdizzle5