After Horford, Dwight Howard needs to be our #1 target in FA

NBASupes

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

$20 million is a lot for a backup PF though.  

At this point, I really don't care about the money.  If it makes us better, you do it.

Iggy, Manu (in his prime and getting paid), Tristan Thompson - bench players.  

The $20 million looks huge because of what the salary cap is.  I'm not worrying about the Hawks money.  If they are willing to exceed the cap and bring in someone to move Al to PF and it requires Sap to the bench - that's what you do.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

At this point, I really don't care about the money.  If it makes us better, you do it.

Iggy, Manu (in his prime and getting paid), Tristan Thompson - bench players.  

The $20 million looks huge because of what the salary cap is.  I'm not worrying about the Hawks money.  If they are willing to exceed the cap and bring in someone to move Al to PF and it requires Sap to the bench - that's what you do.

Well I totally agree with that.   It just seems like the numbers are saying if we sign Al then we're effectively done just like we signed Sap last year and could do basically nothing else.    I don't understand it.   Other teams are signing everyone they can throw money at but the Hawks can't seem to be able to sign enough nba players to fill out a roster.  

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well I totally agree with that.   It just seems like the numbers are saying if we sign Al then we're effectively done just like we signed Sap last year and could do basically nothing else.    I don't understand it.   Other teams are signing everyone they can throw money at but the Hawks can't seem to be able to sign enough nba players to fill out a roster.  

If we sign Al and do nothing else with the roster then that's a problem.

I've already listed what we CAN do to free up more money.

Trade Teague (but remember we will more than likely take back salary), use the stretch provision  on Tiago so instead of $8 mil he will count as $2million against the cap or get a team with capspace (Sixers or Blazers) to take him off our hands entirely (may require a draft pick to do it). Renounce Scott - we can always resign him using an exception if needed.  Let Baze walk or the way he's playing he's looking like a mid-level exception kind of deal so we can bring him back off the bench. 

What moves we make is dependent on the owners willingness to exceed the cap for the RIGHT players.

On February 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

If we sign Al and do nothing else with the roster then that's a problem.

I've already listed what we CAN do to free up more money.

Trade Teague (but remember we will more than likely take back salary), use the stretch provision  on Tiago so instead of $8 mil he will count as $2million against the cap or get a team with capspace (Sixers or Blazers) to take him off our hands entirely (may require a draft pick to do it). Renounce Scott - we can always resign him using an exception if needed.  Let Baze walk or the way he's playing he's looking like a mid-level exception kind of deal so we can bring him back off the bench. 

What moves we make is dependent on the owners willingness to exceed the cap for the RIGHT players.

This is when I get excited but then I have to bring myself back to earth. All of this is possible but is Bud going to do it is the problem. Doesn't matter if all of this is done to go after Dwight or not, it's clearly a way to improve the team by just adding more talent. Hell I will take batum and Noah and will be happy! That will atleast let me know bud is trying but I much rather have a star player even if he's on the wrong side of 30 like Howard.

my point is, is that fans just figured this cap thing out easily seems like, now let's see what budcox will do.

PS

how great would it be to have Tiago at only 2m and have a big man rotation of Howard, Horford, Sap, Tiago!!! 

Edited by JTB

1 hour ago, Duff_Man said:

Horrible teammate, bad back, on the wrong side of 30, and will be getting max offers from stupid teams?

Yeah...sign me up.

Bad back? Yeah it's very exaggerated. Howard simply isn't as athletic anymore but he actually still makes the same impact. He's top 5 in rebounds, fg%, and is still a force defensively with this so called bad back. He even dominated in the playoffs last year (please go back and review if you don't believe me).

Howard may have some back issues that will cause him to miss some games but it's not effecting his impact on the game. It's the same Dwight Howard who now understands why Gundy never used him as a Shaq.

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Bad back? Yeah it's very exaggerated. Howard simply isn't as athletic anymore but he actually still makes the same impact. He's top 5 in rebounds, fg%, and is still a force defensively with this so called bad back. He even dominated in the playoffs last year (please go back and review if you don't believe me).

Howard may have some back issues that will cause him to miss some games but it's not effecting his impact on the game. It's the same Dwight Howard who now understands why Gundy never used him as a Shaq.

A "force" defensively? Blocks do not equate good defense. Especially when most of his go right back to the team that shot the ball. He gets completely lost on defense. And he is, and will always be mentally broken. He won't be anywhere near worth it to whatever team dumps a ton of cash on him. He will be overpaid and it won't be by the Hawks.