• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This weeks note on the Hawks.

Diesel

• Premium Member

The Hawks lost their first three games out of the break, but won their two most important games on their five-game homestand, beating the Bulls on Friday and the Hornets on Sunday. As they've dropped from fifth to 17th in offensive efficiency, they've risen from 14th to second in defensive efficiency, allowing 2.7 fewer points per 100 possessions than any other team over the last 7 1/2 weeks. Tuesday's game will be a test, though.

SO let me understand this.  We're a better defensive team?  While somebody may be unimpressed, I think this means something.   IF we can improve our offensive efficiency, we'll be golden in the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Correct. On another note Stephen Curry is questionable for tomorrow's game. If he doesn't play the Hawks should really jump on the Warriors and steal this game on the road. 

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

SO let me understand this.  We're a better defensive team?  While somebody may be unimpressed, I think this means something. 

It means damn near everything to me, even if I can't see it like last year when we had DeMarre.  Second in defensive rating makes the rebounding woes a little easier to swallow.  But just a little.  

If the defense holds I cannot accept Kyle's poor shooting and Baze's inconsistency holding the team  back on offense because of Bud's sometimes blind loyalty.  A team that is atop the assist pile annually  should be considerably higher than 14th in points per and 20th in O Rating.  2 quick fixes would be getting to the line a little more (Al, Dennis, Jeff) and not blowing so many damn lay ups (Sap, Baze, Jeff). 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yeah, that's the scary part is just how do we expect to fix our offensive problems?     We're just really inconsistent at the 2 and 3 and I don't see that changing.   Honestly I'd go with Tim and Thabo more because Tim can get to the line and has skills none of the other wings have and Thabo is more consistent on both ends and doesn't turn the ball over.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah, that's the scary part is just how do we expect to fix our offensive problems?     We're just really inconsistent at the 2 and 3 and I don't see that changing.   Honestly I'd go with Tim and Thabo more because Tim can get to the line and has skills none of the other wings have and Thabo is more consistent on both ends and doesn't turn the ball over.  

I'm actually liking the Dennis, THJr, Thabo, Scott and Horford lineups Bud has been using.  More defense and energy from this grouping, more uptempto offensive sets.

• Premium Member

Hawks should always start off games with attacking the paint. Inside out cause outside in doesn't work in our favor. If they are the smaller team on the floor most nights, then use the quickness to attack and get the other teams bigs in foul trouble.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I think the fix is actually in developing more chemistry.   That means Bud finding the lineups and rotation times that work for us.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the fix is actually in developing more chemistry.   That means Bud finding the lineups and rotation times that work for us.  

I hope but the only new rotation player we have is THjr, plus we're in March now.   Offensively we just haven't seen great results against good defenses and it's getting late in the season.   That's the real test.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I hope but the only new rotation player we have is THjr, plus we're in March now.   Offensively we just haven't seen great results against good defenses and it's getting late in the season.   That's the real test.   

We haven't seen this team with Humphries and where does THJr fit?  How much time is optimum?  It's a dance and Bud has to do it.   He has to find the right balance for everybody.

• Premium Member

whats also impressive is how good we are defensively without actually having one of the leagues top defenders on the team. I know Bazemore, Splitter,  and Sefolosha have defensive reputations, but i mean someone like a Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler or Rudy Gobert type who can be on an all defensive first team.