• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Word around the block is were gonna lose Atkinson to Brooklyn this offseason

NBASupes

Sean Marks likes him a ton. I like what Marks is doing. They will make some really smart signings this offseason. I doubt they will land a big name but them mid tier players like New York got last year could be gold for them. 

High BBIQ, player development and smart drafting will be how they build a roster. Kenny will be an excellent head coach. 2nd time in the Bud era we lost a coach to another franchise to be a head coach. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

So this is gonna be a thing as long as Bud is here.  

On one hand you're glad he's a coach manufacturing factory.  On the other hand you're like "damn, can we keep our staff together?"  Of course I'm not with the team but Ham doesn't strike me as a right-hand man.  

Bud and Wilcox have a lot more pull with the sexy assistant hires than they do with big-name FAs.  I'm sure Atkinson's replacement will be sufficient and in the same developmental guru mold.  He's been linked to New Orleans before I believe.  Them and OKC would be better off with him.

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

So this is gonna be a thing as long as Bud is here.  

On one hand you're glad he's a coach manufacturing factory.  On the other hand you're like "damn, can we keep our staff together?"  Of course I'm not with the team but Ham doesn't strike me as a right-hand man.  

Bud and Wilcox have a lot more pull with the sexy assistant hires than they do with big-name FAs.  I'm sure Atkinson's replacement will be sufficient and in the same developmental guru mold.  He's been linked to New Orleans before I believe.  Them and OKC would be better off with him.

From everything I hear, Ham is a really good coach. 

Can they take Ham over Atkinson? I like them both but I'd rather keep Kenny. Damn, why doesn't Marks take Luke Walton or something. Stop f*ckin with our staff.

Nice problem to have. Welcome to the Spurs' world. Doesn't seem to affect them. When you gain the rep as a great coaching incubator, you keep attracting the cream of the crop as assistants are plucked...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Sean Marks likes him a ton. I like what Marks is doing. They will make some really smart signings this offseason. I doubt they will land a big name but them mid tier players like New York got last year could be gold for them. 

High BBIQ, player development and smart drafting will be how they build a roster. Kenny will be an excellent head coach. 2nd time in the Bud era we lost a coach to another franchise to be a head coach. 

That'd be a good look for Brooklyn. Bud starting to start a coaching tree.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

This is what two years in a row now we've lost our top assistant to be another NBA's team head coach. That speaks volumes about how well regarded our coaching staff is.  Congrats to him though on a well deserved promotion.  I hate that we are losing good coaches though.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Wtfffff...stop taking our guys!!!!

.... unless you take Teague .... and give us bLopez and a bunch-a 1sts.

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

.... unless you take Teague .... and give us bLopez and a bunch-a 1sts.

If that happens Brook will prolly miss 50 games due to injuries lol

On April 18, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Sothron said:

This is what two years in a row now we've lost our top assistant to be another NBA's team head coach. That speaks volumes about how well regarded our coaching staff is.  Congrats to him though on a well deserved promotion.  I hate that we are losing good coaches though.

Our coaches and our 3 and D guys seem to be in the same farm system for pay days elsewhere.

Atkinson takes over Nets; Calls Hawks ‘first-class organization’

Kenny Atkinson got a little choked up when talking about the Hawks.

After four seasons as a Hawks assistant coach, Atkinson was formally introduced as the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets on Monday.

Atkinson thanked several people for his new opportunity but needed to pause when he spoke about the Hawks.

Atkinson takes over Nets; Calls Hawks ‘first-class organization’ photo

“I’d also like to thank the Atlanta Hawks organization - Tony Ressler, the owner, Mike Budenholzer, the vice president and coach, Wes Wilcox, the GM,” Atkinson said. “Just a great experience there. A first-class organization. They treated me and my family great. It’s a big part of the reason I’m sitting here. I’m going to miss them. I’m thankful for having worked there.”

Atkinson also noted the coaches he served under in Rick Adelman (Rockets), Mike D’Antoni (Knicks) and Budenholzer.

“Fantastic all-around coach,” Atkinson said of Budenholzer. “First-class person. And really taught me about building a program and building a culture on and off the court. Thanks coach.”

Atkinson said he did not allow himself to think about head coaching vacancies as an assistant with the Hawks. However, when Sean Marks was named general manager of the Nets, Atkinson identified him as “somebody I’d like to work with.”

“Quite honestly, I said ‘I want to pursue this,’” Atkinson said. “I was very aggressive in pursuing it.”

Atkinson confirmed that Jacque Vaughn, former Magic head coach, will be his lead assistant. He made no other staff announcements although Hawks video coordinator Jordan Ott is expected to join him with the Nets.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/atkinson-takes-over-nets-calls-hawks-first-class-o/nrNfB/