Korver/THJr/Patterson

Bazemore/Thabo

Sap/Hump/Scott

Horford/Splitter/Moose/Edy

I have three:

1. Stick to your guns draft: 

1st round: Taurean Prince

2nd rounders: Gary Payton II and Robert Carter 

Why: A more talented and polished but less BBIQ version of DMC out of college for Prince. Payton is a low floor, high ceiling player who is 22. That will scare some teams away but with development, he could be special. Carter is a tough local product with good energy and size who could develop into a decent NBA big.

Our lineup: 

Teague/Dennis/Payton II

Korver/THJr/Patterson

Bazemore/Thabo/Prince

Sap/Hump/Carter

Horford/Splitter/ Edy

2. Go Foreign: 

1st round: Furkan Korkmaz

2nd rounders: Paul Zipser and Kay Felder(American/Oakland)

Why: Korkmaz is one of those will move up in the draft and we likely won’t get him but he’s a high ceiling team kid who can create for himself and others. I compare him to a better team ball playing, less athletic and much smaller Mario Hezonja. Zipser is a good shooter who is a solid scorer. He would fall in line with our Erikson pick from last year. Felder is one of the better PG’s in America and reminds me a bit of Earl Boykins.

Our roster:

Teague/Dennis/Payton II (Felder to Europe)

Korver/THJr/Patterson

Bazemore/Thabo/Korkmaz (Zipser to Europe)

Sap/Hump/Moose

Horford/Splitter/Edy

My favorite is the draft trade:

3. Hawks trade: All Star level player Jeff Teague and vet Tiago Splitter to Philly for Jahlil Oakfor and two late 1st rounders (MIA and OKC).

Hawks trade MIA and OKC 1st picks, move up into the mid 1st and selected Denzel Valentine

1st round: Taurean Prince

Trade our two 2nd rounders and move up in the top 2nd round and select Tyler Ulis

Why: Trading an all-star level player as good as Teague is extremely hard for any NBA team. A team like the Suns have two good PG’s and they don’t want to trade either. Then there is Splitter, not a fan favorite on the Squawk due to his less than stellar visual performances but he’s a net plus for us like he was for the Spurs. He has produced at a high level and is still a championship big off the bench so why trade either? Simple, The Sixers need both extremely bad and Atlanta needs cap relief so they can add more talent and be able to keep Sap and Horford for the long term as well as Bazemore, Scott and Humphries but most important which makes it even worth it is getting a young stud. That is what Okafor is. He’s a stud. Is he flawed? Yes. Is he skilled? Yes. Is he a #1 option on offense? Yes. He makes sense for us. He doesn’t have to start for us so his flaws aren’t too bad and we can develop him like we did Teague. He gives us a lot of options which is way we wanted the Horford-Millsap-Gasol tandem so bad and he gives us that option again. As for the picks, Jeff will cost them an extra 1st, late of course and Splitter is still valuable to us and he’s hard to find on the market as a FA and wouldn’t consider Philly so it gives them an legit player and a mentor for Embiid.

As for the picks:

Denzel Valentine is not the prototypical NBA SG. He’s not very athletic and his game is far more suited for college then the pros. But in the right system, he could be special and I do agree with the Draymond Green comparisons. If he works, he’s gonna be good. If he doesn’t, he is going to be like Nik Staksuas and the rest of the failed NBA prospects who can’t transition into the league. He reminds me of Patterson athletically but skill wise, defensively and his ability to score puts him in a completely different category. My comparison for him is a rich man’s Lamar Patterson.

We already spoke about Prince so let’s talk about Ulis. My favorite PG in the draft. It’s been a long time since I made this comparison and he’s much taller and not quite as quick but he has earned it. Muggsy Bogues. He would be a perfect 3rd PG behind Dennis and Hinrich. He could be special.

Dennis/Hinrich/Ulis

Korver/THJr/Valentine

Bazemore/Thabo/Prince

Sap/Hump/Scott

Horford/Okafor/Edy

Not bad.  Scenario 2 should've been named 'Go Ferry' considering his rep (it's a joke, laugh).  The Prince kid is growing on me as a DMC-clone although I still question whether this group can palate a rookie in that role.  I kinda doubt it based on their history albeit limited.

The Valentine kid could be the guard version of Spurs-era Boris Diaw (follow that logic).  But man Teague has come on skrong late.  Makes scenario 3 tougher to swallow.  That said, we've gotta make some moovs so sign me up for #3.  Where the poal at?

7 hours ago, kg01 said:

Not bad.  Scenario 2 should've been named 'Go Ferry' considering his rep (it's a joke, laugh).  The Prince kid is growing on me as a DMC-clone although I still question whether this group can palate a rookie in that role.  I kinda doubt it based on their history albeit limited.

The Valentine kid could be the guard version of Spurs-era Boris Diaw (follow that logic).  But man Teague has come on skrong late.  Makes scenario 3 tougher to swallow.  That said, we've gotta make some moovs so sign me up for #3.  Where the poal at?

Thanks,  it is not a poll, I wanted you guys to create your own narrative as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, kg01 said:

No one wants to see @kg01 on a pole.

tumblr_lz5yqgzD4c1qgnq45o2_500.gif

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AHF said:

No one wants to see @kg01 on a pole.

Don't get mad at me 'cause you can't spell poel.  The mods should ban themselves.

Anyways, back on the draft ... Am I crazy to think LSU not making the postseason with that roster is a huge indictment on the Simmons kid.  They have at least 3 other guys who'll play in the league, they play in an  AWFUL conference and they couldn't make the postseason?  I realize the coach should be fired but man that's bad.

Take LeeBorn as a HS Sr and put him on that team.  They might've gone undefeated.  Simmons is talented but I'm not building my team around him.  For that matter, I don't think anyone in this draft is #1-pick worthy IMHO.

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Don't get mad at me 'cause you can't spell poel.  The mods should ban themselves.

Anyways, back on the draft ... Am I crazy to think LSU not making the postseason with that roster is a huge indictment on the Simmons kid.  They have at least 3 other guys who'll play in the league, they play in an  AWFUL conference and they couldn't make the postseason?  I realize the coach should be fired but man that's bad.

Take LeeBorn as a HS Sr and put him on that team.  They might've gone undefeated.  Simmons is talented but I'm not building my team around him.  For that matter, I don't think anyone in this draft is #1-pick worthy IMHO.

I haven't watched any College bball but from what I'm hearing there is no consensus build your team around guy - good solid players - but no can't miss star.

Also heard that Ingram is now #1 pick since Simmons isn't in tourney.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Piston Pete never made the tourney when he was at LSU and a team with Shaq, Stanley Roberts and Chris Jack-Abdul-Rauf somehow never won the SEC or did anything of any note in the tourney.  

LSU just never achieves even when they have the talent.  Not sure why.  Anyway, I would certainly put that on Simmons when you judge him but don't get too worked up in it either.  

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I haven't watched any College bball but from what I'm hearing there is no consensus build your team around guy - good solid players - but no can't miss star.

Also heard that Ingram is now #1 pick since Simmons isn't in tourney.

Simmons is a can't miss star. He will be the #1 pick. You can build your team around him. Anyone who says he won't be the #1 pick is doing it for ratings on their tv or radio shows imo.

11 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Simmons is a can't miss star. He will be the #1 pick. You can build your team around him. Anyone who says he won't be the #1 pick is doing it for ratings on their tv or radio shows imo.

He'll be the #1 pick just like Olowakandi was the #1 pick.  Hmmm, who was the last #1 pick that couldn't lead his team to the tourney?

He's really talented but I don't think he'll be a 'winning' player until towards the end of his rookie deal.  That's not bad, necessarily, but at the #1 pick you have to get a guy ready to contribute from day 1 or you (FO guy) won't last to negotiate his next deal.

Brandon Ingram is now ranked the No. 1 prospect in the 2016 NBA Draft class by Draft Express over Ben Simmons.

"Ingram is 14 months younger than Simmons, has a longer wingspan by four inches and a standing reach six and a half inches higher," writes Jonathan Givony. "Ingram is a better shooter – which is perhaps the most important skill in today’s NBA – and has shown a much better trajectory throughout the college season. The intel on Ingram as a teammate and competitor has been much stronger than Simmons’. Yes, Ingram has a much more frail frame now, but it’s easy to envision him filling out as he ages and matures."

Simmons has received criticism for his lack of competitiveness and also for producing hollow box scores.

"One NBA executive described him as a “taller Rajon Rondo, a more athletic Evan Turner, or a skinnier Royce White”," wrote Givony.

57 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He'll be the #1 pick just like Olowakandi was the #1 pick.  Hmmm, who was the last #1 pick that couldn't lead his team to the tourney?

He's really talented but I don't think he'll be a 'winning' player until towards the end of his rookie deal.  That's not bad, necessarily, but at the #1 pick you have to get a guy ready to contribute from day 1 or you (FO guy) won't last to negotiate his next deal.

Oh don't get crazy by comparing him to candy. This kid's got it all. You could be right and it may take him 3 or 4 years but once he arrives, he has the potential to be a top 5 or 10 player in the NBA imo. I understand it's very premature (something that you might be used to...lol) but he has the tools.

6 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Oh don't get crazy by comparing him to candy. This kid's got it all. You could be right and it may take him 3 or 4 years but once he arrives, he has the potential to be a top 5 or 10 player in the NBA imo. I understand it's very premature (something that you might be used to...lol) but he has the tools.

I'm not comparing their games, comparing their impacts on winning.

That said, I've become aware (just in listening to eggsperts speak on it so TIFWIW) that there were internal issues on that LSU team particularly with teammates being jealous of Simmons, awful awful coaching and Simmons' own immaturity which culminated to lead to their awesome season.  So I'm probably being a little unfair to the guy.  I think I'm going to back off him a bit, but I do think he'll be a later-bloomer than a team wants at the #1.

I mean, I don't think he'll be as big a bust as a guy like Jeremy Lamb (aka Mr. DNP-CD) or anything.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think what you find about Simmons is this.

He is the reason why every Diaper Dandy ought to go to a school like Kentucky, UNC,  or Louisville.

He took a chance and went to LSU.  They surrounded him with Zero Talent.   His team suffered all year because he couldn't lift them up to be a great team.  Now, Everybody questions his ability.

I saw him play... He's the real deal.  I would love to see him free fall to us.

Moreover, his statline from this year is 19, 12, and 5 shooing 56% from the field.

Last Year Karl Anthony Townes stats were 10, 7, and 1 shooting 56% from the field.

Have you noticed that nobody ever questioned whether Townes was worthy of the #1 pick overall.   At no time did they question his worth to a team.  However, now.. everybody is questioning whether Simmons will be a good pro and suggesting that it will take him years to develop??

Really??

Let him fall!!!

I think it'll ultimately come down to where he's drafted to. I know that goes for anybody in the draft, but Simmons has really high bust potential. If ends up in an unstable organization that can't reign him he won't grow. But if he ends up in a good situation he can definitely become the best player out of this draft.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Here is what I would like to see happen assuming the team stands pat with their current picks:

23:  AJ Hammons

43:  Kaleb Tarczewski

53:  Kahlil Felder

Hammons is a very skilled big man and an elite rim protector.  Has quality moves with his back to the basket and can shoot the ball decently about 17 feet out.  He could add some weight to become stronger inside.  He's very athletic, but sometimes he relies on that too much.  He is far from polished as a player, but he has enough of an offensive akill set to build around.

Tarczewski provides rebounding, strength, and toughness immediately.  Would definitely benefit from some time in the D-League to find some sort of offensive game.  The bits I have seen from him seem to a lot of tip ins and tough nosed baskets.  There is nothing wrong with that though.  

Felder is a create his own about type of player.  He is magnificent with the ball in his hands and could be an instant offense type of player off the bench eventually.  Undersized, but has a big heart.  Similar type of player to me is Jamal Crawford.  

Lemme throw in my two cents on Simmons. I still think he’s going to be a great player in the NBA but he has high bust potential. He shouldn’t have gone to LSU, Johnny Jones is a terrible coach and LSU just had no structure. No chemistry at all.