What's your ideal Hawks draft for 2016?

NBASupes

4th Option is Nuclear: This is the major trades’ one: 

Since many of the players values in college are going up and down. Here is what I want for the 4th option. 

Hawks trade: All Star level player Jeff Teague, vet Tiago Splitter and Lamar Patterson to Sacramento for Rudy Gay, Quincy Acy and their 1st round pick likely 6th or 7th pick.

Nuclear has a lot of trades: 

Philly trades Okafor and LAL 1st 2017 pick to Chicago for Jimmy Butler

Kings trade Koufos to Cleveland for Shump

Cleveland trades Love to Boston for Crowder and Bradley Jr. 

Boston trades their 2017 BKN pick to Chicago for Doug McDerrmott

Brooklyn trades Jack and Thad Young to New Orleans for their 1st and selects Kris Dunn. 

Brooklyn makes NO's Anderson their #1 target and Sacramento, Philly and Los Angeles Lakers target Kent Bazemore as their top option as do several other teams.

Hawks  target Joakim Noah as their #1 FA target who is not on the Hawks. 

Hawks Draft:

Hawks selected Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield with the 6th or 7th pick.

Brown is a high ceiling player in the mold of guys we saw go off the board last year in guys like Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson. While those guys are raw, Brown is even rawer. Brown is also the worst defensively among the three. Where Brown is higher is in his potential. He has all the tools to be a #1 option on offense even more than these other two but his defense isn’t there yet and his playmaking, ball handling and shooting needs a lot of work. He does flash elite defensive potential like Johnson but he’s a tad more inconsistent than Johnson was at Zona. He’s a WIP prospect which usually litter in the lottery in recent years. I expect him to fall a bit like Winslow and Johnson did. Potential:  Gordon Hayward with less playmaker and more athletic ability. Current: Slightly worse Kent Bazemore in his 1st year in Atlanta. Not the playmaker, defensive stopper or shooter 1st year Kent was for us.

Murray is a mid-floor slightly high ceiling guard who is quick, can score with ease, shoot and handle it but really isn’t a PG even though his measurements are closer to that of a NBA PG. With that said, he is a special scorer. Better than his teammate of last year in Devin Booker. Doesn’t have the length or tools of Booker but is just as athletic, quicker, a better ball handler and a better scorer. Undersized at the 2 and defensively, will have questions to answer but he has all-star scoring skills and tools and marks as a #1 option on offense. Most scouts see him as a 1 in the NBA. Potential: Dana Barros with slashing ability and handles. Current: A most NBA ready with NBA ready range of rookie O.J. Mayo.

Buddy Hield is a player I really like. He has an excellent shooter and scorer. He has decent size for a SG. He’s a decent NBA level athlete. He really moves off the ball well. He reminds me of J.J. Redick but he has more length and offensive skill. I do think he’s more of a role player but in the right system, he could be special. Potential: Mitch Richmond, Now: Devin Booker

Denzel Valentine or Taurean Prince with their 21st, 22nd or 23rd pick.

Hawks Draft: Gary Payton II and Perry Ellis

Valentine isn’t one of my favorite prospects. I have always said, the transition for someone who lacks quickness and athletic ability in the NBA who plays off the ball is very very tough. He going to take a year or two to get adjusted to the NBA. Better players have failed with more athletic ability than him like Evan Turner. He will have to mentally beat players and that’s impossible for a rookie to do. So he’s a mid to late 1st rounder. As I mentioned before, he reminds me of Lamar Patterson. He’s clearly better even right now but his adjustment will take time. Potential: Brandon Roy with less tools but more team Basketball mindset and heart. Now: Slightly better Lamar Patterson right now. Literally, just slightly.

Prince is one of the better 3 and D prospects as I mentioned earlier. Potential: Better offensive Carroll. Current: Rookie Carroll but a lot more of a 3 and D player out of college.

Payton is a low floor high ceiling player who’s 22. Current: Worse version of Jared Cunningham with more athletic ability on defense. Potential: Poor man’s Russell Westbrook. I think his potential is a 6th man. Jordan Clarkson level.

Ellis is kinda like Mike Scott to me out of college to me. More skilled but not as athletic. Current: Rookie Mike Scott. Potential: Mike Scott.

Almost forgot: Nuclear lineup: 

We sign Joakim Noah and Mo Williams in Free Agency

Our lineup: 

Dennis/Mo Williams/Payton II

Korver/THJr/Valentine

Gay/Thabo/Brown

Sap/Scott/Moose

Horford/Noah/Edy

We take a dip at PG but improve at SG/SF and C. Not sure if Noah at this time is an true upgrade over Hump but he need him to be close to his impact in Chicago. 

We should have our own D League team next year via KL.  Perry Ellis and Gary Payton II on the D League team. Not on the NBA roster.  Patterson should be traded, cut or just resigned to the D League team. 

A lot of scouts are down on this class like the Dennis class. Many think the middle of the draft is where the gems might be. Teams will be trying to trade out of the draft this year. 

(On the draft) “It’s a weak draft. It’s a really weak draft. Because it is such a weak draft, guys are going to get selected. There were will be a lot of international guys who dominate the draft. I wouldn’t say a third of the draft, but it could be close to that. … Next year is a really strong draft as far as the incoming freshman and that’s why everyone is struggling whether to go this year where you could potentially go higher. Or if you go next year, you’re a year older and your stock could go down or you’re in the same position and you’re a year older. Next year is going to be a much better draft as far as the top guys. This year there’s only about 4-6 guys who will really make an impact on their teams throughout the season. Everyone else is kind of iffy.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/nba-executive-evaluates-dejounte-murray-and-marquese-chriss-pro-potential/

Edited by NBASupes

@NBASupes  what do you think?

Chad Ford has the Hawks selecting:

Indiana center Thomas Bryant to Atlanta with the 24th pick.

Of course, Ford zooms to point out that "the Hawks need size" in his write-up, which is certainly a point of contention depending on the team's free agent decisions. However, Bryant's youth (he is a freshman), athleticism and size would be interesting in Mike Budenholzer's system, and the 6-foot-11 big man can already shoot to some extent from the perimeter. He was also a productive player, averaging 11.9 points and 5.8 rebounds per game in only 22.6 minutes during his only season in Bloomington.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/4/4/11362610/2016-nba-mock-draft-chad-ford-atlanta-hawks-thomas-bryant

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bryant like Maker doesn't fit what Atlanta.  They will like upperclassmen in this draft. Wings will be their target. 

Thanks.

On 4/2/2016 at 10:48 AM, NBASupes said:

4th Option is Nuclear: This is the major trades’ one: 

Since many of the players values in college are going up and down. Here is what I want for the 4th option. 

Hawks trade: All Star level player Jeff Teague, vet Tiago Splitter and Lamar Patterson to Sacramento for Rudy Gay, Quincy Acy and their 1st round pick likely 6th or 7th pick.

Nuclear has a lot of trades: 

Philly trades Okafor and LAL 1st 2017 pick to Chicago for Jimmy Butler

Kings trade Koufos to Cleveland for Shump

Cleveland trades Love to Boston for Crowder and Bradley Jr. 

Boston trades their 2017 BKN pick to Chicago for Doug McDerrmott

Brooklyn trades Jack and Thad Young to New Orleans for their 1st and selects Kris Dunn. 

Brooklyn makes NO's Anderson their #1 target and Sacramento, Philly and Los Angeles Lakers target Kent Bazemore as their top option as do several other teams.

Hawks  target Joakim Noah as their #1 FA target who is not on the Hawks. 

Hawks Draft:

Hawks selected Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield with the 6th or 7th pick.

Brown is a high ceiling player in the mold of guys we saw go off the board last year in guys like Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson. While those guys are raw, Brown is even rawer. Brown is also the worst defensively among the three. Where Brown is higher is in his potential. He has all the tools to be a #1 option on offense even more than these other two but his defense isn’t there yet and his playmaking, ball handling and shooting needs a lot of work. He does flash elite defensive potential like Johnson but he’s a tad more inconsistent than Johnson was at Zona. He’s a WIP prospect which usually litter in the lottery in recent years. I expect him to fall a bit like Winslow and Johnson did. Potential:  Gordon Hayward with less playmaker and more athletic ability. Current: Slightly worse Kent Bazemore in his 1st year in Atlanta. Not the playmaker, defensive stopper or shooter 1st year Kent was for us.

Murray is a mid-floor slightly high ceiling guard who is quick, can score with ease, shoot and handle it but really isn’t a PG even though his measurements are closer to that of a NBA PG. With that said, he is a special scorer. Better than his teammate of last year in Devin Booker. Doesn’t have the length or tools of Booker but is just as athletic, quicker, a better ball handler and a better scorer. Undersized at the 2 and defensively, will have questions to answer but he has all-star scoring skills and tools and marks as a #1 option on offense. Most scouts see him as a 1 in the NBA. Potential: Dana Barros with slashing ability and handles. Current: A most NBA ready with NBA ready range of rookie O.J. Mayo.

Buddy Hield is a player I really like. He has an excellent shooter and scorer. He has decent size for a SG. He’s a decent NBA level athlete. He really moves off the ball well. He reminds me of J.J. Redick but he has more length and offensive skill. I do think he’s more of a role player but in the right system, he could be special. Potential: Mitch Richmond, Now: Devin Booker

Denzel Valentine or Taurean Prince with their 21st, 22nd or 23rd pick.

Hawks Draft: Gary Payton II and Perry Ellis

Valentine isn’t one of my favorite prospects. I have always said, the transition for someone who lacks quickness and athletic ability in the NBA who plays off the ball is very very tough. He going to take a year or two to get adjusted to the NBA. Better players have failed with more athletic ability than him like Evan Turner. He will have to mentally beat players and that’s impossible for a rookie to do. So he’s a mid to late 1st rounder. As I mentioned before, he reminds me of Lamar Patterson. He’s clearly better even right now but his adjustment will take time. Potential: Brandon Roy with less tools but more team Basketball mindset and heart. Now: Slightly better Lamar Patterson right now. Literally, just slightly.

Prince is one of the better 3 and D prospects as I mentioned earlier. Potential: Better offensive Carroll. Current: Rookie Carroll but a lot more of a 3 and D player out of college.

Payton is a low floor high ceiling player who’s 22. Current: Worse version of Jared Cunningham with more athletic ability on defense. Potential: Poor man’s Russell Westbrook. I think his potential is a 6th man. Jordan Clarkson level.

Ellis is kinda like Mike Scott to me out of college to me. More skilled but not as athletic. Current: Rookie Mike Scott. Potential: Mike Scott.

With all those trades lined up, Supes must think he's Stein or something. 

Btdubs, Murray was a freshman, he and Booker were never teammates. And I don't think anyone sees him as a PG.  I would absolutely love to have him here, but it'll never happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

With all those trades lined up, Supes must think he's Stein or something. 

Btdubs, Murray was a freshman, he and Booker were never teammates. And I don't think anyone sees him as a PG.  I would absolutely love to have him here, but it'll never happen.

I think this trade has a shot at happening happening like the Okafor one but also you gotta think Atlanta might want to wait till free agency to see if Durant wants to come before trading Teague. 

• 1 month later...

I would be fine with Prnice at #21. He is a low risk system player who fits. His perimeter defense against NBA wings is unknown since he played a lot of zone defense at Baylor..............but that is what workouts are for.

I would prefer Malik Beasley at #21. He has a lot of upside since he was just a freshman last year. He really played well against tough ACC competition.  I'd take a swing at his upside if he is there at #21. We could use his athletic ability. He can knock down the 3 ball too. I'd be shocked if he is there at #21 . I'm just not trusting the mocks right now.

Selden or Payton II would be solid 2nd round picks if either is on the board.

• Like 1

If they decide to take a swing and move up in the draft, if they move far up enough Jaylen Brown is the wing player I'd like to take. Taurean Prince or Malik Beasley would be fine if they stand pat (not sure Beasley's stock hasn't risen too far though).

If Tyler Ulis doesn't fall to the second round, I'm gambling and taking Kay Felder at 54 assuming a PG does get moved. He's worth the shot.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, I want to wait for the Pingpong balls.

For instance, IF N.O. gets the #1 pick.  I will trade Dennis and 2 1st rounders for a shot at Simmons.  Even though I was more impressed by Buddy.  I just think that Simmons will be better.

However, in the absence of them getting #1 and them falling at #6..

I deal Dennis to them for the pick and pick up Jaylen Brown.

Replace Dennis with Felton, Cole, or Ish Smith out of Free Agency.

What are your thoughts on Nigel Hayes as a project in the 2nd? Seems like he is willing to put in work to become a better shooter and seems to have a decent motor on offensive glass. Kind of a tweener tho. Maybe a hair slow for sf but a hair too weak for pf.

Maybe shed some weight to increase speed and try to put him at sf down the road? I'd much rather see a pick like this than a euro stash guy. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's looking like Valentine may be falling a bit as these workout warrior types are moving up as team workouts are taking place.  Good news for us.  We might even get @Alex to crack a smile.  Nah, prolly not.  No goodness emanates from that cold, black heart.

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It's looking like Valentine may be falling a bit as these workout warrior types are moving up as team workouts are taking place.  Good news for us.  We might even get @Alex to crack a smile.  Nah, prolly not.  No goodness emanates from that cold, black heart.

Yup, him or Deyonta Davis would get @Alex giggling like a little girl...

4 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Yup, him or Deyonta Davis would get @Alex giggling like a little girl...

They both fill a need.  Davis is too raw though for my liking.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

They both fill a need.  Davis is too raw though for my liking.

I would really like Valentine or Ulis right now. Love both those guys.