• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Realistic offseason projections?

bumpyphish1

So, I keep telling myself if we can somehow grab this 3 seed (or I guess slip to 6), we will again reach the ECF.  Just need to avoid the Cavs until the ECF--4 or 5 seed gets dicey.  Loss last night hurt--Miami with a much easier schedule in than us and lead by one in loss column and hold tie breaker.

Gotta think back to back ECF Finals and BUD would make ATL start to look like a nice FA destination.

That said, what do you guys think we will do in the offseason?  Horf and Baze are FA's.  1st round pick and two 2nd's.  Not gonna project the second rounders but...here's what I want to see.

1) Trade Teague on draft night--gain cap space, move on to Dennis who is as good now or will be next season.

2) Draft best available SG or SF--to develop--not to start right away.  Tim can replace Korver.  Will need a backup though.

3) Let Bazemore walk--will not be worth what it takes to re-sign him.

4) Sign a starting SF via FA.  Is it feasible by trading Teague and using whatever exception it is that applies to Splitter we could afford Durant?  Would we have that cap space?  If not Durant, look at Batum.

5) Sign cheap, veteran backup PG.

6) Re-sign Al.  Go over cap if we have to.

Best case:

PG: Schröder, veteran PG

SG: Korver, Hardaway, (1st round pick)

SF: Durant (Batum?), Thabo, (1st round pick)

PF: Millsap, Muscala

C: Horford, (?)Splitter 

...y'all ream me on salary cap implications, but I feel like this is doable without really crunching the numbers.  Cap goes up and you can go over cap to re-sign (Al), right?  

Wouldn't let me submit edit,  Here it is:  

Gotta think back to back ECF Finals and BUD would make ATL start to look like a nice destination for FA's.

That said, what do you guys think we will do in the off-season?  Horf and Baze are FA's.  1st round pick and two 2nd's.  Not gonna project the second rounders but...here's what I want to see.

1) Trade Teague on draft night--gain cap space, move on to Dennis who is as good now or will be next season.

2) Draft best available SG or SF--to develop--not to start right away.  Tim can replace Korver.  Will need a backup/co #1 at SG with Hardaway though in '17-'18.

4) Sign a starting SF via FA.  Is it feasible by trading Teague and using whatever exception it is that applies to Splitter we could afford Durant?  Would we have that cap space?  If not Durant, look at Batum.

6) Find a cheap veteran big to bolster frontcourt ala Humphries 

7) Re-sign Al.  Go over cap if we have to.

Best case:

C: Horford, Tavares, (?)Splitter, (?)FA big 

...y'all ream me on salary cap implications, but I feel like this is doable without really crunching the numbers.  Cap goes up and you can go over cap to re-sign (Al), right?  

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trade for Okafor and picks for Jeff and Splitter. 

Resign Mike, Kent, Kris, Kirk and Al.

Sign a SF.

Draft well.

The end

Gotta think Mike, Kris, and Kurt are all gone for sure.  Maybe we pay Baze--doubtful though, imo.

Mike Scott is under contract for best season--$3.3M (non-guaranteed).  We either pick it to keep him or waive him go get locked up....

Muscala is under contract for next season.  $1.05M team-option.

Edited by bumpyphish1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Gotta think Mike, Kris, and Kurt are all gone for sure.  Maybe we pay Baze--doubtful though, imo.

Mike Scott is under contract for best season--$3.3M (non-guaranteed).  We either pick it to keep him or waive him go get locked up....

Muscala is under contract for next season.  $1.05M team-option.

Kris and Scott should stay. As well as Al. Bazemore is gonna get paid, who knows 

No Baze or Muscala. Trade Splitter and Scott for the right offers. Trade Jeff (only for an awesome offer). Draft a sf/sg/pg in that order. Look for a free agent wing. First option is Durant, followed by a close 2nd option in Batum.

oh most importantly... RESIGN BOSS!!!! 

Also like:

Harrison Barnes

Ryan Anderson

Courtney Lee

Jared Dudley

Jarrett Jack 

PJ Tucker

and I personall hate his guts but...Matt Barnes is a 3D guy and would fit us well, brings toughness but Bud would have to have a loooooong talk with him prior to signing so he wouldn't F up our great lockeroom chemistry. As I wrote these few lines I changed my mind. Lol He's a ticking time bomb much like @kg01. Lol. Oh, also found this funny on a free agent website about Barnes.

Matt Barnes, Grizzlies (Unrestricted): When you thought the Matt Barnes A--hole Quotient could get no higher, the 2015-16 season happens.

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

We need a SF in the worst way possible. I don't care what we do other than fixing that. Korver needs to be a backup only going forward.

Agreed SF is biggest need.  Hence a run at Durant or Batum.

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

No Baze or Muscala. Trade Splitter and Scott for the right offers. Trade Jeff (only for an awesome offer). Draft a sf/sg/pg in that order. Look for a free agent wing. First option is Durant, followed by a close 2nd option in Batum.

oh most importantly... RESIGN BOSS!!!! 

Agree with a lot.  But, you are insane if you think we are going to be able to "trade Scott" or "Trade Jeff (only for an awesome offer)."  Scott gets waived or picked up, likely the former.  Curious what an "awesome offer" is, but for a guy with one year left on his contract, unless he is willing to commit to re-sign with the new team, Teague can be had for less than "an awesome offer."  He will be traded unless we literally get offered jackspit for him.  I'd deal him for a top 20 first round pick either this year or even next, I think, at this point.  Hawks made a calculated move to take less for him for the benefit of having him the rest of the year (at the deadline.)  Don't know what his market value will be--maybe can work something out with his hometown Pacers.

Everyone else failed this exercise....reasonable ideas?  Anyone?

Edited by bumpyphish1

The offensive system FINALLY gets adjusted to where it doesn't rely on so many threes. I'm not saying diminish the use of the three entirely, but this team is WAY TOO reliant on the three. If they shoot it well, they're great, if not they're usually bad.

Korver is removed from the starting lineup and a SF is acquired in some way. Resign Horford to preferably a 3+1 deal, let Bazemore walk, and please actually trade one of the PGs. It sounds like they may not do it which is a waste of resources.

I would love to move up in the 2nd round and draft Kahlil Felder (if he is coming out, not sure he is).

1 hour ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Anyone insightful care to weigh in?

Sorry....underwhelmed by responses so far.  Only Sothron's idea is reasonable but he didn't offer much.

You create a thread, people respond, then you belittle them. Lol. Way to keep the thread going. By the way, an awesome deal for Teague or we keep him. I'm sorry he's a pretty damn good point guard and many teams don't have a point guard nearly as good. So teams better get ready to pay a high price. Top 20 pick for Teague? Hell no! Maybe top 10 or 12.

57 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

You create a thread, people respond, then you belittle them. Lol. Way to keep the thread going. By the way, an awesome deal for Teague or we keep him. I'm sorry he's a pretty damn good point guard and many teams don't have a point guard nearly as good. So teams better get ready to pay a high price. Top 20 pick for Teague? Hell no! Maybe top 10 or 12.

Sorry but this is another post that is....well, a waste of space.

Schröder is the PG long term.  We cannot keep both.  Trade Teague this offseason or he walks after the next likely after a season of disharmony knowing what's coming.

You trade Teague now because Schröder is ready now/there will be no dropoff, we could spend that money better elsewhere, and you might as well get something for Teague while you can.  If you think you're getting a top 10 pick for an expiring Teague, you belong on the kiddie site.

4 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Schröder is the PG long term.  We cannot keep both.  Trade Teague this offseason or he walks after the next likely after a season of disharmony knowing what's coming.

You trade Teague now because Schröder is ready now/there will be no dropoff, we could spend that money better elsewhere, and you might as well get something for Teague while you can.  If you think you're getting a top 10 pick for an expiring Teague, you belong on the kiddie site.

I'm just glad you aren't our GM...lol...0.5 star thread. 

1 hour ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Teague can be extended to the same deal Al is getting. You just have to have the hard cap. Atlanta wants a lot more than  a top 10 pick for Jeff. And can get it as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Teague can be extended to the same deal Al is getting. You just have to have the hard cap. Atlanta wants a lot more than  a top 10 pick for Jeff. And can get it as well.

Right, and that would be a brilliant deal considering Dennis is already to the point where he is at Teague's level or damn close.  4.5 years younger with both seeking contracts in the same offseason.

Bud is smart.  He will pick Dennis.  Why do you think they shopped Teague so hard at the deadline?  Smoke and mirrors?

13 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

So, I keep telling myself if we can somehow grab this 3 seed (or I guess slip to 6), we will again reach the ECF.  Just need to avoid the Cavs until the ECF--4 or 5 seed gets dicey.  Loss last night hurt--Miami with a much easier schedule in than us and lead by one in loss column and hold tie breaker.

Gotta think back to back ECF Finals and BUD would make ATL start to look like a nice FA destination.

That said, what do you guys think we will do in the offseason?  Horf and Baze are FA's.  1st round pick and two 2nd's.  Not gonna project the second rounders but...here's what I want to see.

2) Draft best available SG or SF--to develop--not to start right away.  Tim can replace Korver.  Will need a backup though.

6) Re-sign Al.  Go over cap if we have to.

Best case:

C: Horford, (?)Splitter 

1. Draft best available international players.

2. Let Bazemore walk.

3. Sign Brandon Rush.

4. Resign Humphries

5. Resign Horford.

• Like 1