• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why isn't Hack-a Tristian employed against Cavs more often?

hawks774

The Hawks have play competitively against the Cavs, an OT loss at home and a yesterday's road loss that got out of control in the third quarter. If the Hawks face the Cavs in the playoffs, Coach Bud and the Hawks need to find a way to neutralize TRISTIAN THOMPSON.  

Tristian averages more minutes and courttime against us than any other team. He was out there when LeBron scoring was at will with the help of the refs. If the REFS are determined to call fouls on the Hawks, lets put Thompson on the FT line and  not allow LeBron or even Kyrie to get momentum The Hack-a-Thompson strategy can work and it has worked in wins against the Clippers and DeAndre Jordan and the Pistons with Andre Drummond.

Put Thompson on the line 20 times and it may frustrate LeBron and Thompson and help the Hawks. Thompson is a better FT shooter than DeAndre and Drummond, but would you rather put him on the line 20+ times instead of LeBron or Kyrie?

Remember the OT loss in Atlanta..well Thompson was on the floor when the Hawks had a OT lead, but was allowed to run the floor and get a three-point play to regain momentum. He should have been fouled much earlier and it is strong likelihood he would have missed the FT and the Hawks would have eeked out a win at home.

Coach Bud's strategy towards dealing with Thompson has to change if the Hawks face the Cavs in the playoffs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dnice said:

He's bad but not bad like Drummond, or Jordan.

I think under pressure, he could be as bad.

However, I think the reason it's not employed is because if anyone glances in Leborn's or Kyme's or any of their teammates directions, it's an instant whistle upgraded to a flagrant-8.  Putting them in the penalty is basically a Mortal Kombat-esque fatality. #Toastyyyy

This was a close game, but it got out of control because the referees started calling phantom fouls on the hawks when it was still a contested game.

MacDaddy, I agree with you about the 'rhythm'...and if the refs want to start controlling the game by not calling fouls on the Cavs and frustrating us, why not  take the initiative and foul Thompson... yeah, he may make a few, but he is likely to miss a couple.

LeBron is a great player, but if its a close game, he occasionally 'chokes' and he was relieved that the REFS took control in the third quarter and sat out the fourth.

Tristian is a better free throw shooter, but he is streaky and could lose confidence if LeBron gets mad at him,  and he could be benched in a CLOSE GAME.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Even if he makes them it has the benefit of taking cleveland out of their rhythm and keeping Lebron from getting hot.  I'd do it for sure. 

Yeah and @hawks774 is right.  If he starts to miss a few meanwhile taking the ball out of BabyBron's hands for a few possessions, Thompson might get released outright by GM LeBaby.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Yeah and @hawks774 is right.  If he starts to miss a few meanwhile taking the ball out of BabyBron's hands for a few possessions, Thompson might get released outright by GM LeBaby.

If LeBron loses to the Hawks in the second round or conference finals, LeBron will leave the Cavs or Thompson could be traded.

I rather have Thompson go the FT line 25 times than LeBron scoring 40.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hawks774 said:

If LeBron loses to the Hawks in the second round or conference finals, LeBron will leave the Cavs or Thompson could be traded.

I rather have Thompson go the FT line 25 times than LeBron scoring 40.

If he loses ... to us ... before the ECF or even in the ECF?  It's gonna be a lot of slow-singin' and flower-bringin' in NE Ohio ....

"It's been a looo-onng daa-aye, wiffout you my fri-end ..."

Either that or Jaimes becomes the 2016 Howard Hughes and refuses to leave his mansion for a few years.

• Moderators

There is a huge difference for "Hack-A" purposes between Thompson's 59% FT% and guys like DeAndre Jordan at 43%.

Consider, Thompson's FT% is the exact same as Lebron's TS%.  Thus, given an equal number of possessions  you would expect them to score the exact same points.  You would expect Thompson to outscore every single Hawk on the roster if given an equal number of possessions at normal FT% and TS% rates.

In contrast, Jordan's FT% is worse than the TS% of nearly every player in the entire NBA.  Thus, given an equal number of possessions you would expect about any player in the entire NBA to produce more points than Jordan would at the line.  There is not a single player who has spent any time this year on the Hawks roster who you would expect to produce less points than Jordan at the line based on their full season TS%.

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is a huge difference for "Hack-A" purposes between Thompson's 59% FT% and guys like DeAndre Jordan at 43%.

Consider, Thompson's FT% is the exact same as Lebron's TS%.  Thus, given an equal number of possessions  you would expect them to score the exact same points.  You would expect Thompson to outscore every single Hawk on the roster if given an equal number of possessions at normal FT% and TS% rates.

In contrast, Jordan's FT% is worse than the TS% of nearly every player in the entire NBA.  Thus, given an equal number of possessions you would expect about any player in the entire NBA to produce more points than Jordan would at the line.  There is not a single player who has spent any time this year on the Hawks roster who you would expect to produce less points than Jordan at the line based on their full season TS%.

Does that include THJ?:biggrin:

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Yeah but this goes beyond purely looking at the stats.  If you've watched games or played in them where there are frequent stoppages it can freeze the offense when things do pick back up and could throw them off a little bit.  

The Hawks get to rest on defense while the Cavs offense gets stalled.  I think it would be worth a shot in at least one game as a test to see how it goes.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Yeah but this goes beyond purely looking at the stats.  If you've watched games or played in them where there are frequent stoppages it can freeze the offense when things do pick back up and could throw them off a little bit.  

The Hawks get to rest on defense while the Cavs offense gets stalled.  I think it would be worth a shot in at least one game as a test to see how it goes.

I think it would lead to a ton of free throws not just for Thompson but for others as well for Cleveland.  It is a desperation move, IMO, that is more likely to backfire than help.  Our D is generally pretty good - better than a .588% TS% which you'd expect from Thompson's trips to the line.  I also don't relish the idea of Horf or Sap giving up free fouls or playing subpar bench players solely for the purpose of fouling.

There is a reason that Pops doesn't target guys who shoot 59% for hack-a type moves.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Hawks do that in the playoffs against the Cavaliers, expect the NBA to change the rule mid-game and disband the Hawks as a franchise. 

Only if it works.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Only if it works.  

There will be outrage,but "we play to win the game". I would not be surprised if the NBA commissioner has a press conference announcing the need for a rule change...if the hawks shock the cavs.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, hawks774 said:

There will be outrage,but "we play to win the game". I would not be surprised if the NBA commissioner has a press conference announcing the need for a rule change...if the hawks shock the cavs.

Yep.  If the Cavs survive it, no rule change.  If the Hawks threaten to beat them using this tactic, it is time for the Commish to step in!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Hawks do that in the playoffs against the Cavaliers, expect the NBA to change the rule mid-game and disband the Hawks as a franchise. 

Ha.  Came in here to suggest Bud may have been considering to WAIT until the playoffs to do it....but this is better! 

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Only if it works.  

HAHA.  Even truer.

• Moderators

Because Thompson shoots as high as he does from the line, I don't think you'll see this used except in pure desperation time.  We won't be hacking Thompson for 3 minutes in the second quarter of any games is my expectation.  If we are down to the Cavs heading down the stretch of a game and need to foul, then Thompson is likely to be the best target but he won't be going to the line 20+ times ala Jordan, Howard or Drummond.