• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Assessment of Hawks Potential 2016 SG/SF Targets

ATLien_

Ladies and Gent's it's that time of the year. 

Let me start off by saying I don't watch college basketball; I would rather watch paint dry than watch college basketball. All assessments of these players is based on what I see in the draft express videos, years of watching NBA basketball and what translates, and my understanding of what the Hawks basketball is about.  I think I've done pretty well at this over the years and the evidence is in the annals of this board. 

I did not rank any of the wings projected to go in the top 10 because there's a snowballs chance of them actually reaching us. There seems to be very little consensus on this wing class. Draftnet and Draft Express are usually  pretty close on player slots, but there are literally guys in the lottery on one site and in the second round on the other. The GAP is pretty big on most of these guys. 

With no further ado here are my rankings. I'm ranking them based on fit and potential in the Hawks system. 

Guy's I really Like

1) Malik Beasley - You'll notice a trend with all the players I like. They all can hit open jumpers, excel in the pick and role/pop game, move well without the ball and play D, What makes Malik the number 1 target for me is his ability to get to the free throw line, his overall athleticism and ability to finish. IMO the hawks go through very long scoring droughts, because they don't have anyone who can consistently get to the line when jumps shots stop falling. This kid can potentially help us solve that with one of the highest free throw rates in the NCAA. 

2) Caris (velvet Teddy Bear)LeVert - Great shooter that doesn't have the size limitations of Beasley. Very versatile on offense w/ great NBA size 6'7 (7 foot wingspan). 1.41 PPP on catch and shoot opportunities :luv: . I would not be disappointed to get this guy.  And the best part is all the Gerald LeVert references @lethalweapon3 could put in his pregame threads. 

3) Taurean Prince - This guy really does remind me of Demarre Carol and would allow us to move Baze to his more appropriately sized SG position. This is the 3D guy you draft to put a big body on Lebron, KD and all these other versatile wings. 6'11.5 wingspan and can probably play 4 when we go small; this gives us a more versatile option than Mike Scott. Good slasher, that rebounds and turns them into transition push.  Like Bobby Portis he plays with a toughness I think this team needs. 122 NCAA games played, but will only be 21 on draft night. 

Guy's I'm on the Fence About

1) Furkan Korkmaz - This seems like the type of guy Bud will be gaga over. Euro shooter with versatility and play making ability. This guy has some of the worst effort on defense that I've seen in a while: extremely light 6'7 185 pounds. He does a lot of dribbling that creates very little space in the Euro leagues. Those shots will likely get blocked in the NBA and he won't be blowing by anyone. He does have a very quick release and is unorthodox. I could see him having some success offensively in the NBA, but he's going to be a net neutral or negative player for a while IMO. I could see the Hawks drafting and stashing this guy because he looks like a long term project with high potential to me. 

2) Denzel Valentine - This guy is an offensive fit for the Hawks, but is very slow of foot and gives poor effort on D. I don't know what position he can guard in the NBA.

Guys I'm no on

1) Dejounte Murray - This guy is a very bad fit for the Hawks IMO. Heavy Isolation player with low basketball IQ. Ball stopper that turns the ball over alot with poor perimeter shooting. This guy reminds me a lot of Jordan Crawford. He'll be boom or bust and won't likely be productive until his second contract. He has alot of  potential and is the quickest guard I saw while watching video, but this guy has 0 chance of playing for Bud. NBA draft net had him in the lottery and draft expres had him in the second round. I tend to side with draft express on this one.  

All you other amateur GM's @NBASupes@Spud2Nique@kg01@JayBirdHawk@AHF what do you think of my assessment? Are there other SG/ SF types I should take a look at? Also I only embedded the strengths videos. There are in depth weakness videos as well. 

Edited by ATLien_
Fixed Embedding
  • Like 2

I like it a lot! I love #3 Green on the first list and #2 Valentine on the second. The others I'm not too familiar. I do know that we love Euro's so maybe Furk the Turk! :-)

Thanks for putting this together @ATLien_.  As you all know, I am considered the expert here, so I'll chime in (in my best Billy Knight voice).  I like Valentine, Prince and probably Beasley in that order.  However, I now doubt we fill our wang hole with a rookie.

Our FOffice folks don't appear to want to trust a rookie.  They don't appear to have the patience for it which I think is a mistake.  You have to rely on the draft to some degree.

If they do end up getting one though, those are who I'd want.  LeVert is a possible 2nd round target now that he's an injury concern.

Shout out to @JayBirdHawk for knowing/admitting her limitations.  Get back in the kitchen, honey (*smack* on the butt).

(Ah c'mon, y'all know I'm kidding.)

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Thanks for putting this together @ATLien_.  As you all know, I am considered the expert here, so I'll chime in (in my best Billy Knight voice).  I like Valentine, Prince and probably Beasley in that order.  However, I now doubt we fill our wang hole with a rookie.

Our FOffice folks don't appear to want to trust a rookie.  They don't appear to have the patience for it which I think is a mistake.  You have to rely on the draft to some degree.

If they do end up getting one though, those are who I'd want.  LeVert is a possible 2nd round target now that he's an injury concern.

Shout out to @JayBirdHawk for knowing/admitting her limitations.  Get back in the kitchen, honey (*smack* on the butt).

Next time just copy n paste my post as to who you like in the draft, then add a guy. Lol

@kg01 I like Valentine, but I just can't see Bud playing him. John Jenkins is living proof of this. He barely plays THJ and he looks like the Gary  Payton compared to this kid. I think  I just don't think the Hawks can afford to have another guard that can't on ball defend. That's why we are in a tangle with the Celtics right now. 

Edited by ATLien_

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

I stay in my lane buddy. No need to fake the funk.

• 2 weeks later...

Beasley is the one I want the most because, due his age and athleticism, he has the highest upside.

I'd be fine with Prince too.

You have to think the Hawks will be dangling Teague / Pick #21 to move into the top 10.

1 hour ago, coachx said:

Beasley is the one I want the most because, due his age and athleticism, he has the highest upside.

I'd be fine with Prince too.

You have to think the Hawks will be dangling Teague / Pick #21 to move into the top 10.

Agreed...I'm thinking the Pelicans and Twolves and even the Kings are 3 teams with top 10 picks who are ready to have a vet vs a pick.