• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With all the rebuilding topics let's think about this....

ViewsFromTheSquawk

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Millsap for Butler

Why would Chicago trade for Millsap, leaving a huge hole at SG to trade for a 30+ year old PF when they got Mirotic and Gibson.  Butler is worth more than that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

.... Call it how you see it, but I feel as if it's something we can build from. 

I'm usually Polly Positive on this site, but we were supposed to build on last season - this just doesn't feel like we have.

1 minute ago, turnermx said:

I see where you're coming from. Their team was better and deeper, this time our team was healthy but not as good as last year's team when healthy and we were competitive 3/4 games in the sweep.

I guess you could call it progress, kind of a glass half full perspective.

I can understand the dissapointment. The dissapointment that sinks in when you lose to the same dickhead 12 times in a row in the postseason, but we grew a lot in these playoffs. For example....

1.We flexed our muscles against a clearly inferior team in Boston in round 1. They were supposedly equal to us before the postseason began, but we used that veteran experience to rise above it and close out a series when it was nodded at 2 a piece. However in comparison to last season we seemed lost at times just trying to find out how to win. Much like Toronto this season against near the same opponent level. 

2.Schröder grew big time. Say what you will about German Chocolate but he grew up in a BIG WAY this postseason. He went toe to toe in back to back series against 2 of the best PGs in the game. He even showed us his ability to be that guy that gets under the skin of others and say what you want but that's necessary in some series. 

3.Bud mightve just learned in the I always 2 games that maybe benching Kyle isn't such a bad idea. 

4.And lastly the group grew together. And they'll continue to do so. Y'all can call it stubborn or whatever but Bud knows that the biggest key in creating a team that competes on a consistent basis is one that is built together and stays together. Longevity is the word. And yes the result might look bad now losing in sweeps back to back seasons to Lebron, but we'll get our crack at it and in time. Hopefully sooner rather than later we'll get that ring for Atlanta. 

Being competitive is losing a series 4-2 or 4-3 with a nail biting loss or two mixed in. Losing by double digits in three out of four games in this series and NINE OF TWELVE OVERALL isn't even close to that, no matter how myopic a fan you are. 

A talent upgrade is so needed on this team that it hurts. In order to do that, they'll have to make some deals. As far as the swingman position goes, there's Durant (not happening), Deng (yeah, right), Barnes (restricted so no guarantee that the Dubs won't match), Batum (ditto), and a bunch of scrubs who many here will argue that aren't any better than Bazemore. That is pretty much the free agency hand we've been dealt. And as far as finding Horford's replacement if he leaves, please give up the Dwight dreams, folks. He reviles Atlanta because of personal reasons that's been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum here for nearly a decade. So that leaves us with a low draft pick that will likely get jettisoned and...And???

The East is lightyears better than it was a year ago and if the best they do is bring back the band one more time, they'll be lucky to see a 4-seed if they make the postseason at all. Just ask the Bulls and Whiz how quickly things can change in a year's time...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm usually Polly Positive on this site, but we were supposed to build on last season - this just doesn't feel like we have.

I get that. We were an Eastern Conference Finals Team and this season we lose in round 2. But make no mistake this was definite improvement. We took the supposedly unstoppable big 3 theyve assembled in Cleveland to 3 competitive games. And with that we had a less talented team. And yeah it sucks to get the broom, but I think this team learned something that we've failed to recognize as fans FROM Cleveland. Save that energy for the postseason. 

3 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Being competitive is losing a series 4-2 or 4-3 with a nail biting loss or two mixed in. Losing by double digits in three out of four games in this series and NINE OF TWELVE OVERALL isn't even close to that, no matter how myopic a fan you are. 

A talent upgrade is so needed on this team that it hurts. In order to do that, they'll have to make some deals. As far as the swingman position goes, there's Durant (not happening), Deng (yeah, right), Barnes (restricted so no guarantee that the Dubs won't match), Batum (ditto), and a bunch of scrubs that many here will argue that aren't any better than Bazemore. And as far as finding Horford's replacement if he leaves, please give up the Dwight dreams, folks. He reviles Atlanta because of personal reasons that's been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum here for nearly a decade. So that leaves us with a low draft pick that will likely get jettisoned and...And???

The East is lightyears better than it was a year ago and if the best they do is bring back the band one more time, they'll be lucky to see a 4-seed if they make the postseason at all. Just ask the Bulls and Whiz how quickly things can change in a year's time...

Is it getting the band back together or reloading for another shot? I think the best thing we can do right now is keep the core together. Don't just blow it up for possible disaster. 

11 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I can understand the dissapointment. The dissapointment that sinks in when you lose to the same dickhead 12 times in a row in the postseason, but we grew a lot in these playoffs. For example....

1.We flexed our muscles against a clearly inferior team in Boston in round 1. They were supposedly equal to us before the postseason began, but we used that veteran experience to rise above it and close out a series when it was nodded at 2 a piece. However in comparison to last season we seemed lost at times just trying to find out how to win. Much like Toronto this season against near the same opponent level. 

2.Schröder grew big time. Say what you will about German Chocolate but he grew up in a BIG WAY this postseason. He went toe to toe in back to back series against 2 of the best PGs in the game. He even showed us his ability to be that guy that gets under the skin of others and say what you want but that's necessary in some series. 

3.Bud mightve just learned in the I always 2 games that maybe benching Kyle isn't such a bad idea. 

4.And lastly the group grew together. And they'll continue to do so. Y'all can call it stubborn or whatever but Bud knows that the biggest key in creating a team that competes on a consistent basis is one that is built together and stays together. Longevity is the word. And yes the result might look bad now losing in sweeps back to back seasons to Lebron, but we'll get our crack at it and in time. Hopefully sooner rather than later we'll get that ring for Atlanta. 

We've been waiting a long time for our crack at it for far too long. 

ECF one year to getting swept in the 2nd round the next is not a 'the group  grew together' moment. 

Not when you factor in we are about to pay Al a max deal for  6, 3, 1 and 4 rebounds in this series.

Or Bud having to bench his starting PG in favour of a 22 year old backup who doesn't  know his head from his ass sometimes  (love Dennis though).

I'm not a blow it up advocate but thinking we are close to the LOB - i just don't  see it.

4 minutes ago, Dejay said:

A talent upgrade is so needed on this team that it hurts. In order to do that, they'll have to make some deals. As far as the swingman position goes, there's Durant (not happening), Deng (yeah, right), Barnes (restricted so no guarantee that the Dubs won't match), Batum (ditto), and a bunch of scrubs who many here will argue that aren't any better than Bazemore. That is pretty much the free agency hand we've been dealt. And as far as finding Horford's replacement if he leaves, please give up the Dwight dreams, folks. He reviles Atlanta because of personal reasons that's been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum here for nearly a decade. So that leaves us with a low draft pick that will likely get jettisoned and...And???

Wow, I can't imagine falling apart like the Bulls and Wizards did this year. Still its really wide open as to who is on the roster next year. Al and Sap together are good but its incredible how often we are out rebounded. Without improvement on the glass its very possible we regress. Both Al and Sap moving on up in age as well. A somewhat scary thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I get that. We were an Eastern Conference Finals Team and this season we lose in round 2. But make no mistake this was definite improvement. We took the supposedly unstoppable big 3 theyve assembled in Cleveland to 3 competitive games. And with that we had a less talented team. And yeah it sucks to get the broom, but I think this team learned something that we've failed to recognize as fans FROM Cleveland. Save that energy for the postseason. 

LOL ,  The lesson they learned is they are not good enough to compete with the best teams

We were 3-15 vs the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, Heat , Raptors, and Thunder...3 -19 if you count the playoffs
lost 12 straight games to Cleveland.... if we learned anything,  learning how to beat good teams wasn't one of them

Edited by pimp
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We've been waiting a long time for our crack at it for far too long. 

ECF one year to getting swept in the 2nd round the next is not a 'the group  grew together' moment. 

Not when you factor in we are about to pay Al a max deal for  6, 3, 1 and 4 rebounds in this series.

Or Bud having to bench his starting PG in favour of a 22 year old backup who doesn't  know his head from his ass sometimes  (love Dennis though).

I'm not a blow it up advocate but thinking we are close to the LOB - i just don't  see it.

Hey man I get it. But just believe in the process. It'll see through. 

2 minutes ago, pimp said:

LOL ,  The lesson they learned is they are not good enough to compete with the best teams

We were 3-15 vs the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, Heat , Raptors, and Thunder...3 -19 if you cout the playoffs
lost 12 straight games to Cleveland.... if we learned anything, learning how to beat good teams wasn't one of them

Question. Aside from Cleveland can you tell me how those good teams were built majorly? 

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Hey man I get it. But just believe in the process. It'll see through. 

Yes but throughout the process, things can't  stay the same when we know the areas that are problematic.

4 minutes ago, pimp said:

We were 3-15 vs the Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, Heat , Raptors, and Thunder...3 -19 if you count the playoffs
lost 12 straight games to Cleveland.... if we learned anything,  learning how to beat good teams wasn't one of them

I think we did compete in three games with the Cavs. Not winning those games is a combination of the players (mainly starters) and Bud together stink at closing out big games and both Al and Bud are allergic to the glass. Your right that we didn't  beat them and it bites.  

2 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Okay, how do you keep the core together, knowing that their best isn't good enough TO WIN WORLD TITLES? 

You see, you and I love the same team but have different expectations. While you seem to be fine with the Hawks showing some grit AFTER the series was long decided Friday night, I'm literally seething in anger. My expectations are never, Ever, EVER to merely 'compete' with the best once you make the playoffs. It is to BEAT THE BEST when you're one year removed from a 60-campaign.

That, my friend, would shown some growth; not getting three-point records shattered while the entire country laughs at you. Ask anyone here who's seen my posts over the years. To me, there is no such thing as moral victories. I'm like Ricky Bobby in Taledega Nights; if you're not first, you're last. Tomorrow morning, no one in the national media will care that the Hawks 'fought hard' in Game 4. They're going to crack jokes about them getting swept, bemoan Avery Bradley getting hurt and the Celtics not having the chance to make it a better series, then prep for a Heat-Cavs showdown; just as they predicted a short week ago. 

Sorry, dude. In ebonic terms, dat aint gone get it...

Spoken like Bobby himself. Lol. Look I want them to win one too. I watched Atlanta teams fumble away too many chances. Hawks last season (even tho that was more health related more than anything),Falcons in 2012,Braves all the time lol. I'm ready for a championship, but like I said at the beginning of the thread it's a mix. And while we must keep the critical pieces together we must also add to the fold. 

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes but throughout the process, things can't  stay the same when we know the areas that are problematic.

Read post above

I'm not an NBA front office exec, but would rather see us make another attempt than blow things up.  Doesn't mean we bring back the same team, but we are like every other team in the East that hasn't gone to the finals without Lebron for the past six years.  

We do need some more talent, but last year we won 60 games.  We went through a span where we went something like 35-3.  That is beyond a fluke or hot streak.  I'd rather try to reload than go through what Philadelphia is experiencing trying to get a superstar in the lottery.    We can always blow up a team and try for the lottery, but it could take 8-9 years to get back to being a legit power in the east.  

I've never seen us have close to the best record in the league.  On the chance that we can get back to that level of focus, I want us to give it our best shot. Get creative in the off season, bring back the best team we can.  

No to blowing up.  Not ready for that.

Question. Aside from Cleveland can you tell me how those good teams were built majorly? 

Warriors = drafted Curry, Green , Thompson,  - signed Iggy , traded for Bogut
Heat = Drafted Wade,  , signed Bosh ,  Whiteside , and Joe - traded for Dragic
Raptors = drafted Derozan, and Valanciunas- signed Carroll - traded for Lowry.
Thunder = drafted Durant , Westbrook and Ibaka
Spurs drafted - Duncan, Parker , Ginobili   (Leonard draft trade) signed Aldridge.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 4

Oh, make no mistake. I've stomached enough resets and rebuilds here over the last 38 years to make a polar bear spit up. I can't do another, due to the mere fact that I simply don't trust them come draft night. I didn't trust Babs when he tried and was proven right. I NEVER trusted Billy Knight and, well, no sense picking on the slow kid in class again so I digress. So I'm not suggesting a teardown because of past failures, not to mention the Sixers, Wolves, Kings, et al who rely on building through the draft, only to not play games in May, much less June...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pimp said:

Warriors = drafted Curry, Green , Thompson,  - signed Iggy , traded for Bogut
Heat = Drafted Wade,  , signed Bosh ,  Whiteside , and Joe - traded for Dragic
Raptors = drafted Derozan, and Valanciunas- signed Carroll - traded for Lowry.
Thunder = drafted Durant , Westbrook and Ibaka
Spurs drafted - Duncan, Parker , Ginobili   (Leonard draft trade) signed Aldridge.

Hawks:

Drafted Horford, Teague and Schröder.  

Signed Millsap, Korver, Baze, Thabo, Hump.

Traded for THJ and Splitter.