• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ain't Nothin Happenin

benhillboy

The Hawks, despite being "good" for the last 9 seasons, are all too content with where they are.  Why?  Because they probably feel it's impressive in the face of all the dysfunction of that time period.

Miami and SA are the model franchises of the league in terms of consistency and cohesion in the post-Jordan era. GS, OKC, Dallas, and Boston are still ahead of us due to having achieved more playoff success, better assets going forward, maniacal owners, etc.

In the last 5 years, we've had ownership, coaching, and GM turnover.  It doesn't seem like it because Bud's on-court system has been great for the most part but it's still a residual effect that causes the brass to play it safe because the Ownership group makeup and GM are likely to change yet again in the near future.  Franchises still in transition periods simply aren't gonna make any bold moves, especially in a weaker FA class.   Ressler and Them haven't shown me they care about anything more than a little revenue from a few playoff games.

Mount up, we're getting the gang back together again next year.  Yay.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

The Hawks, despite being "good" for the last 9 seasons, are all too content with where they are.  Why?  Because they probably feel it's impressive in the face of all the dysfunction of that time period.

Miami and SA are the model franchises of the league in terms of consistency and cohesion in the post-Jordan era. GS, OKC, Dallas, and Boston are still ahead of us due to having achieved more playoff success, better assets going forward, maniacal owners, etc.

In the last 5 years, we've had ownership, coaching, and GM turnover.  It doesn't seem like it because Bud's on-court system has been great for the most part but it's still a residual effect that causes the brass to play it safe because the Ownership group makeup and GM are likely to change yet again in the near future.  Franchises still in transition periods simply aren't gonna make any bold moves, especially in a weaker FA class.  

Mount up, we're getting the gang back together again next year.  Yay.

Bingo. Ressler and Grant are transitional owners. The NBA was ok with that because anything was better than atlanta spirit.  Bud isnt making any moves because ownership is telling him not to. You are correct on that.  They will max Horford because of the increased salary cap and their other "bold" move will most likely be resigning Baze.  They will have a press conference and brag about how bringing them back " was best for the franchise moving forward". blah, blah, blah and everything stays the same.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Bingo. Ressler and Grant are transitional owners. The NBA was ok with that because anything was better than atlanta spirit.  Bud isnt making any moves because ownership is telling him not to. You are correct on that.  They will max Horford because of the increased salary cap and their other "bold" move will most likely be resigning Baze.  They will have a press conference and brag about how bringing them back " was best for the franchise moving forward". blah, blah, blah and everything stays the same.

WLOC in full force. Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it and right about now I feel like I'm stuck in a time loop.

3 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I think I read on this message board how they think Ressler and Grant are going to sell the team once the value goes up when the Hawks upgrade the arena.

That would suck for fans if they did just bring  back Baze and Al. Can't sell the public on stuff like with the whole team back next season, gives them a 4th year in the system and Korver will be able to train during the off-season unlike last year dealing with surgeries and Splitter is healthy. 

3 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

I think I read on this message board how they think Ressler and Grant are going to sell the team once the value goes up when the Hawks upgrade the arena.

That would suck for fans if they did just bring  back Baze and Al. Can't sell the public on stuff like with the whole team back next season, gives them a 4th year in the system and Korver will be able to train during the off-season unlike last year dealing with surgeries and Splitter is healthy. 

I said on this messageboard that Ressler and Grant are gonna sell the team. Its nothing mysterious about it.  They are private equity investors. Their sole mission is to take over corporations, improve them, then sell at a higher value than when they acquired them.  That means their focus isnt on the Hawks winning championships, its on getting a return for their investors.

One more thing, its not that they cant do both, but from what the Hawks front office has done since Bud took over, it appears that improving the roster isnt their goal. I havent hear Ressler or Grant say one time that they are trying to bring a championship to atlanta with the Hawks.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

Just now, Hawkmoor said:

I said on this messageboard that Ressler and Grant are gonna sell the team. Its nothing mysterious about it.  They are private equity investors. Their sole mission is to take over corporations, improve them, then sell at a higher value than when they acquired them.  That means their focus isnt on the Hawks winning championships, its on getting a return for their investors.

That's right! It was you who said that! How did you find out they're private equity investors?  Just curious. 

I wonder when they're selling it. Right now, team is valued at 825 mil. They bought it for 850.  So besides improving the arena what else could they do to improve their value?

I believe the Timberwolves are supposed to be the next team to be sold.

4 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

That's right! It was you who said that! How did you find out they're private equity investors?  Just curious. 

I wonder when they're selling it. Right now, team is valued at 825 mil. They bought it for 850.  So besides improving the arena what else could they do to improve their value?

I believe the Timberwolves are supposed to be the next team to be sold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ressler

Improving the arena. Television contracts. Upgrading team facilities.  Consolidating operations.  Every NBA team should rise in value with the new tv contracts.

8 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ressler

Improving the arena. Television contracts. Upgrading team facilities.  Consolidating operations.  Every NBA team should rise in value with the new tv contracts.

Oh wow! I wonder how attractive the team could be to sell since you wouldn't be able to move the team.

11 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Oh wow! I wonder how attractive the team could be to sell since you wouldn't be able to move the team.

@BigDog90  The Hawks aren't the only team owned by private equity investor -  Boston, GSW, Toronto, Detroit and Philly. 

Ressler just bought the team knowing he couldn't move it.

12 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

That does seem likely with the  blueprint Bud has for winning. Consistency with the system because new players take a while to learn it. I hope they  do at least bring in a bigger vet SF and a first rounder SF (maybe Prince) plus have Korver come off the bench at either swing spots. Korver will hit 36 sometime next season. Yikes.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

One more thing, its not that they cant do both, but from what the Hawks front office has done since Bud took over, it appears that improving the roster isnt their goal. I havent hear Ressler or Grant say one time that they are trying to bring a championship to atlanta with the Hawks.

Your theory has never made sense to me.  You repeatedly talk about how keeping the status quo makes sense for a PE investor.  It doesn't.  They derive value by one of two paths:  (1) invest to improve the profitability of the enterprise and then resell on that higher profitability basis or (2) strip it down and sell it.  Neither of those fit with a path of "resign your expensive free agents and just keep treading water."

Regarding Ressler, he rarely gets in front of a camera but it is easy to find him talking about his goal being to bring a championship to Atlanta for whatever that is worth.

He’s excited about the new development across Atlanta, and especially downtown, with the new football stadium and a new convention hotel in the works.

“It’s just extraordinary what’s going on there. Now it appears there are some very significant issues as well but I’m a believer that it’s going to get a lot better over the next 10 years in that general area and I think we’re going to participate in that.”

And the rest of the five-year plan? How will Ressler know in 2020 whether his first five years were a success?

First, they’d like to win a championship

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2015/07/03/one-on-one-with-new-atlanta-hawks-owner-tony.html

“We own both a community asset and a business,” Ressler said at his introductory news conference in June. “We have a view, a strong view, of what ownership should be. We have a view that ownership should create stability, that ownership should create ample resources for the team to the do the best they can, which I think we would describe as winning a championship at some point.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hawks/2015/09/28/hawks-tickets-tony-ressler-steve-koonin-grant-hill/72991130/

Same quote:

winning a championship

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/atlanta-hawks-owner-tony-ressler-grant-hill-mike-budenholzer/nqu8y7w4c9yh1sr708syjymqm

Ressler made it clear that the Hawks were a piece of the community, and deserved stable ownership that always did the best that they could, to make reasonable decisions, and to try to bring the city a championship.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/6/25/8845609/atlanta-hawks-ownership-introduction-tony-ressler-grant-hill

Etc.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

Your theory has never made sense to me.  You repeatedly talk about how keeping the status quo makes sense for a PE investor.  It doesn't.  They derive value by one of two paths:  (1) invest to improve the profitability of the enterprise and then resell on that higher profitability basis or (2) strip it down and sell it.  Neither of those fit with a path of "resign your expensive free agents and just keep treading water."

Regarding Ressler, he rarely gets in front of a camera but it is easy to find him talking about his goal being to bring a championship to Atlanta for whatever that is worth.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2015/07/03/one-on-one-with-new-atlanta-hawks-owner-tony.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hawks/2015/09/28/hawks-tickets-tony-ressler-steve-koonin-grant-hill/72991130/

Same quote:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/atlanta-hawks-owner-tony-ressler-grant-hill-mike-budenholzer/nqu8y7w4c9yh1sr708syjymqm

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/6/25/8845609/atlanta-hawks-ownership-introduction-tony-ressler-grant-hill

Etc.

Good job. You did some homework.  

First, i said in my post that you CAN increase the value of the franchise AND build toward a championship.  In fact, marquee players INCREASE the value of the franchise.

Second, i never heard Ressler said he wanted to bring a championship to atlanta. ok, you corrected me on that. Good job.

Lastly, and this refers BACK to Resslers' championship comments. WHEN is he  gonna make a move toward a championship?  Bud had the Hawks on the cusp of seriously competiting for one, but for some reason, has sat pat the last two years.  Now is the time to show they want a championship.  Credit you though, seriously, you found him saying it.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
Just now, Hawkmoor said:

Good job. You did some homework.  

First, i said in my post that you CAN increase the value of the franchise AND build toward a championship.  In fact, marquee players INCREASE the value of the franchise.

Second, i never heard Ressler said he wanted to bring a championship to atlanta. ok, you corrected me on that. Good job.

Lastly, and this refers BACK to Resslers' championship comments. WHEN is he  gonna make a move toward a championship?  Bud had the Hawks on the cusp of seriously competiting for one, but for some reason, has sat pat the last two years.  Now is the time to show they want a championship.  Credit you though, seriously, you found him saying it.

I get that everyone is impatient but this is really this ownerships first season and their first offseason.   WHEN is Ressler going to make a move toward a championship?  Well hopefully it starts in another month but geez there wasn't much he could do up to this point and the dumbest thing to do is to take ownership and start making stupid moves before you understand the business.  

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I get that everyone is impatient but this is really this ownerships first season and their first offseason.   WHEN is Ressler going to make a move toward a championship?  Well hopefully it starts in another month but geez there wasn't much he could do up to this point and the dumbest thing to do is to take ownership and start making stupid moves before you understand the business.  

Bud knows the business. He had TWO trade deadlines to make a move.  The failure to make a move means one of two things below is happening:

1. ownership has told him to stay pat within a salary parameter.

2. He is letting this dude below out GM him:

EP-302189855.jpg&updated=201602181929&Ma

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Bud knows the business. He had TWO trade deadlines to make a move.  The failure to make a move means one of two things below is happening:

1. ownership has told him to stay pat within a salary parameter.

2. He is letting this dude below out GM him:

EP-302189855.jpg&updated=201602181929&Ma

Nothing points to ownership telling him to stay pat and everything points to Bud liking his guys and valuing consistency.   So if we're pointing fingers at Bud for failing to improve this team then I can get behind that.   But conspiracy theories that ownership is standing in the way based on about a 10 month track record is far-fetched to say the least.  

• Like 1

This is not comforting but in the playoffs against the Cavs last year we were in only one game. It wasn't even at home. This year we were in three games. A sweep is a sweep but I don't think Bud and company see it that way really. They saw progress and they will probably try to field the same team plus a rookie.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Nothing points to ownership telling him to stay pat and everything points to Bud liking his guys and valuing consistency.   So if we're pointing fingers at Bud for failing to improve this team then I can get behind that.   But conspiracy theories that ownership is standing in the way based on about a 10 month track record is far-fetched to say the least.  

Add to that this was Bud's first trade deadline with this new group. The team was in the midst of being sold the previous year I  don't  think any major trades were going to be done with the Ferry Fiasco in full play.