• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5 biggest Hawks mistakes of 2015-2016.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Five biggest mistakes of 2015-2016  Rant Sports.

5. Atlanta Squanders Crucial Playoff Positioning In Season Finale vs. Washington Wizards.

4. Hawks Surrender NBA-Record 25 Three-Pointers to Cleveland Cavaliers In Game 2 Of Playoff Series .

3. Hawks Surrender 72 First-Half Points To Lowly Minnesota Timberwolves

2. Hawks Fail To Address Issues At The Trade Deadline

1. Jeff Teague Misses The Next Step

That is there's.  I will give mine.  What's yours.

5.  We squandered playoff positioning losing to Washington. 

I think we could have beaten Miami.  I was glad that we beat Boston handily but I would have rather gone up against Toronto than to face Cleveland in the 2nd.

4.  We didn't make a play for Tobias Harris.

Detroit got Harris for Jennings and Illyasova.  Basically, Cap dumps.   I would have given a first rounder and some cap dumps.  Whatever they desired.

3.  Defense against the Cavs was Double with no rotation.

Leaving the shooters wide open is not something that you want to do with halfway good shooters.   We made Cleveland look like future champs with our bad defensive gameplan.

2.  We didn't make good trades at the deadline.

I Fail to understand the wisdom (on the court) of trading mack to the Jazz and taking back Hinrich.   I know it's about money but on the court is where we needed focus.  I do love the pickup of Humphries.  However, we went into the second half of the season as an incredibly short team.  I expected more.   Basketball is a height game and Cleveland proved it to us once again by allowing Tristan Thompson to make a mockery of our sawft frontcourt.

1.   Acquiring Splitter.

This dude IMO is not helping us.  Even before the injury.  Pero was better.   I pray that somehow we can get a defensive rebounding big.  If not, Bring Zaza Back.

What's your 5 Hawksquawk?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Splitter was way better impact wise than Pero. Just cost wise, it wasn't good.

That's my thing.  We're paying Splitter damn near 9 Million dollars for a little less than what we got from Pero for 2 million.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's my thing.  We're paying Splitter damn near 9 Million dollars for a little less than what we got from Pero for 2 million.

He gave us his value. What we wanted was more and that's not what he did due to injuries and he wasn't a great fit.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He gave us his value. What we wanted was more and that's not what he did due to injuries and he wasn't a great fit.

The not being a great fit.. felt like Bud just did a favor for his old friend and help him clear enough cap to get Aldridge.   That's what it felt like when we realized that he wasn't a great fit.

• Premium Member

Just replying to your five..

#5--if we lose to Miami in the first round how does everyone feel? I hate Boston, I'm glad we beat them. If we are swept in the 2nd or 3rd round we still have the same issue--how do you beat LeBron and his current crew? I'm glad it played out the way it did. 

#2--I agree we didn't make great moves at the deadline but I get why we didn't do much. I do wish we had Mack to be our backup PG next year. I wonder what was on the table that we didn't do? 

#1--Splitter was awful. The trade looked good at the time and I do think his injury was a big reason he was so bad. Still, we wasted a lot of money on a guy who looked weaker than Muscala when he did play. I wish we could have used our cap space in a trade for a wing instead.

One issue could be Budcox' reluctance to decide the PG situation. If they would have made this decision at the trade deadline: 

• Dennis would be better prepared for the starting role next year (IF he's the one to get the keys)
  • trade return (hopefully SF) for Jeff or Dennis could have learned the system before next season 
  • No need to give away Mack (a very serviceable backup PG) for nothing

Sure, if there were no good offers there is nothing you can do about it but I still would question the Mack move. But maybe they simply thought they had a shot at winning vs the Cavs this year and didn’t want to give away this chance

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, rd79 said:

One issue could be Budcox' reluctance to decide the PG situation. If they would have made this decision at the trade deadline: 

• Dennis would be better prepared for the starting role next year (IF he's the one to get the keys)
  • trade return (hopefully SF) for Jeff or Dennis could have learned the system before next season 
  • No need to give away Mack (a very serviceable backup PG) for nothing

Sure, if there were no good offers there is nothing you can do about it but I still would question the Mack move. But maybe they simply thought they had a shot at winning vs the Cavs this year and didn’t want to give away this chance

Now that we know the lineup of the draft.  I say Dennis for #6 if Brown is available there.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Now that we know the lineup of the draft.  I say Dennis for #6 if Brown is available there.

whaT a suRprise yOu're teLLing us this again...
please excuse my orthography, but my caps key seems to have a malfunction

1 hour ago, rd79 said:

whaT a suRprise yOu're teLLing us this again...
please excuse my orthography, but my caps key seems to have a malfunction

himZD0M.gif

Their #1 is the biggest, "Jeff missing the next step."  Not that I'm surprised he didn't, just saying.

High up on the list for me also are:

doing nothing at the deadline

starting Kyle

allowing Al's complete transformation from F/C to stretch 4

starting Kyle

Bud being a d@&k and stupidly refusing to play Hump

Kyle's decision to change his shot

did I mention starting Kyle?

Edited by benhillboy

Just now, benhillboy said:

Their #1 is the biggest, "Jeff missing the next step."  Not that I'm surprised he didn't, just saying.

High up on the list for me also are:

doing nothing at the deadline

starting Kyle

allowing Al's complete transformation from F/C to stretch 4

starting Kyle

Bud being a d@&k and stupidly refusing to play Hump

Kyle's decision to change his shot

did I mention starting Kyle?

Valid points, but I think you forgot about starting Korver