• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am officially convinced the we need a 3rd big

NBASupes

Not a Splitter or Zaza type, but like someone good like Pau Gasol. These playoffs showed you how valuable a 3rd big is. Look at OKC and Toronto for example. The reason why they are winning is due to having a good 3rd big. This is was a key issue for Atlanta all year for the last two years. We need to solve this. Heck, even a good 3rd PF would be massive for us. You got to have 3 bigs. We got two in Sap and Al. But we are lacking the 3rd big.

I guess you could say Toronto has a third big in Biyombo, but is that really support for having a third big when in reality they have only been playing him and Patrick Patterson (is he even  classified as a "big"?) due to JV's injury. OKC is killing GSW and it's not because of Kanter. In fact he is only averaging something like 14mins in the series and only played 8mins last game.

I think Bud just needs to do a better job of tightening his rotations in the playoffs. There is no reason that Millsap should not be playing 40+ mins and Al should AT LEAST be playing over 35 mins.

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

:Moose: "Aye, mang.  Chu no see me standin' here, mang?"

Millsap+ for Ibaka/Adams

Lol...thunder will never trade Adams...prolly not Ibaka either.

25 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lol...thunder will never trade Adams...prolly not Ibaka either.

Since he is a center that can play both ends of the court, OKC is probably thinking of him as very long term. As much as he helps them it doesn't necessarily show up in the stats with big numbers. He doesn't ever seem to play thirty minutes in a game though. Would think Kanter's defense would cause Adams to play more. Anyway he has really worked out and is costing less than three million this year.   

3rd big?  We need a 2nd Big first. Might need a 1st too (I kid, I kid)

Like i said previously, we need a wing upgrade in the starting lineup and we need better backups at most positions.  We lack the toughnrss factor.

OKC is winning because their stars have committed on the defensive end like they've never done before, we know what they can do offensively, but it's their defense that's having the biggest impact.  Second, two of their roles players have stepped up their overall games, no not Kanter and Adams, they're  giving OKC what they've  always hiven them - I'm  talking Roberson (dude had 17 points last night) and Waiters (He's actually playing defense).

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not a Splitter or Zaza type, but like someone good like Pau Gasol. These playoffs showed you how valuable a 3rd big is. Look at OKC and Toronto for example. The reason why they are winning is due to having a good 3rd big. This is was a key issue for Atlanta all year for the last two years. We need to solve this. Heck, even a good 3rd PF would be massive for us. You got to have 3 bigs. We got two in Sap and Al. But we are lacking the 3rd big.

ME:  "Al Jefferson is a free agent ..."

EVERYONE ELSE:  "nooooooooo"

23 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

ME:  "Al Jefferson is a free agent ..."

EVERYONE ELSE:  "nooooooooo"

Didn't want him then but I'll  consider him as a backup.

41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3rd big?  We need a 2nd Big first. Might need a 1st too (I kid, I kid)

Like i said previously, we need a wing upgrade in the starting lineup and we need better backups at most positions.  We lack the toughnrss factor.

OKC is winning because their stars have committed on the defensive end like they've never done before, we know what they can do offensively, but it's their defense that's having the biggest impact.  Second, two of their roles players have stepped up their overall games, no not Kanter and Adams, they're  giving OKC what they've  always hiven them - I'm  talking Roberson (dude had 17 points last night) and Waiters (He's actually playing defense).

I like it when I'm right....looky, looky

Billy Donovan only gave 46 minutes during the regular season to a five-man unit of Serge Ibaka, Kevin Durant, Andre Roberson, Dion Waiters and Russell Westbrook.

But in the Western Conference Finals, it has become the Oklahoma City Thunder's version of a death lineup against the Golden State Warriors.

The lineup has a 139.8 offensive rating against a 71.3 defensive rating to give it a net rating of +68.5 points per 100 possessions. 

Roberson and Waiters have given the Thunder enough offense to make the Warriors' defend them while also being long enough to defend anyone on the other side of the floor.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242017/OKCs-Own-Death-Lineup-Has-Net-Rating-Of-+685-In-West-Finals

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

I guess you could say Toronto has a third big in Biyombo, but is that really support for having a third big when in reality they have only been playing him and Patrick Patterson (is he even  classified as a "big"?) due to JV's injury. OKC is killing GSW and it's not because of Kanter. In fact he is only averaging something like 14mins in the series and only played 8mins last game.

I think Bud just needs to do a better job of tightening his rotations in the playoffs. There is no reason that Millsap should not be playing 40+ mins and Al should AT LEAST be playing over 35 mins.

The problem is this though.  Al (at least this year) has not been a good rebounder.  We have Humphries, who is a great rebounder, but playing him effects our scoring ability.  

FUNNY.  The answer may be this.  Let's get an extraordinary scorer at Sf.

IF we did that then we could afford to play Humph or Splitter at the 5 position and have better rebounding and defense.

• Premium Member

I have been hollering about Pau Gasol for several years now.   He has gotten to the age he is slowing down, but he would be a huge impact on the Hawks.   Why you say?    Unstoppable low post scorer and rebounder.  A legit 7-0 player.  His defense is more than above average.    Great team player.

Wanna change the Hawks?  Get this player.   He is not a superstar but he is a heck of a big man that would change this franchise.   2015 playoffs  14.4/9.4 also 3.1 asst in the low post.  In addition he is a end of game go to player who shoots  a good FT%.

We are not getting a superstar in the next few years.   Dwight Howard is just too risky.  

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This discussion has gone on for years.  A third big really does no good if he's not playing in critical situations.  The first two "bigs" who play the most and late games have to rebound the ball and we've seen how that's gone.

• Like 2

There are two ways of getting a 3rd big: FA or trade.  In FA, I'd be looking at Noah or Mozgov.  Unfortunately, both are big question marks at this point, and I'm really not sure either is a true upgrade over a semi-healthy Splitter.

I would much rather see a trade for Tyson Chandler.  He makes more than he should, but the guy is a waste on a Phoenix team that wants Len to take over, and he has 3 years left on his contract.  He was only signed to help entice LMA to sign last year with them, but it didn't work obviously.  A strait Splitter for Chandler deal works, and he would be a great leader as well.  And this would get Phoenix out of those last 2 years and give them an additional $4M to spend this year on other FA's that would fit better on that team.  Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

do u mean to put on the court with al and paul, or just in rotation, if so which is the rotation at the end of the game, sitting AL?

The point is to have rotation options  and better players and not worry about starting or playing all 3 together, rotate them depending on matchups. End of games is determined by play throughout the game.

3 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

yes of course - just wondering if that meant moving paul to the 3, I guess sometimes it would be fine I understand the rotation bit - just so many here freak when ppl talk about puttin PM at the 3

I'm  not a fan of Millsap as a full time 3.  Could  it work in stretches sure. If Millsap was younger it would be easier but asking a guy who's  lived in the paint to play SF as he ages seems counterproductive to me.

I would start Al and Millsap as ususl and bring Tyson off the bench. Bud like to take  Al out early in 1st quarter anyway and play him with the bench.  So it's  about timing and rotations during the course of a game.