Referees call for NBA to end Last Two Minute Reports

• Moderators

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/06/07/referees-call-for-nba-to-end-last-two-minute-reports/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

Now this is really interesting.   The refs make some statements in here that are very illuminating about what we as fans have been screaming about for years.   They have some good points about the process but as the writer points out, their logic behind getting rid of it is flawed and scary.

I thought these statements were particularly interesting:

It is in the best interest of the NBA and its fans to encourage and develop game-oriented referees that balance game flow and fair play. 

Perfection is neither possible nor desirable; if every possible infraction were to be called, the game would be unwatchable and would cease to exist as a form of entertainment in this country.  

Referees are instructed by the league on how to interpret the rules, and it is critical that L2M reporting follow those same interpretations. It is not uncommon to see L2M review comments contradict directions/guidelines given to the game officials.

In other words, 'you told us not to call certain things (star treatment) and now you're throwing us under the bus'.     

• Moderators

Yeah, this one is a stunner for me.  Just how do you even sleep at night putting this in print?

Perfection is neither possible nor desirable;

Perfection is not possible - I get it.  Human element, so much going on in the game so quickly....I get it.

Perfection is not desirable?  WTF?  Seriously, WTF?

Are the reviewers applying the same league-directed guidelines and instructions related to rules interpretation as the referees on the court are?

It is not uncommon to see L2M review comments contradict directions/guidelines given to the game officials.

This makes me raise a hairy eyebrow as far as what guidelines and instructions are so important that the refs think they change whether a rule applies or not.  

Interpret Rules Consistently

If the refs would actually start doing this I'd love it.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think the league and refs learned long ago to swing the game how they wanted early on because there is too much attention on the final plays.   Someone should start a 3rd party site that evaluates the calls through the whole game.  At least of some playoff games.   I think we'd see a ton of missed and bad calls.