• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague Injury?

HopefulHawksFan

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sarcatic1 said:

Overreactions from Hawks fans. What a shocker smh

Maybe its just me but I fail to see how a guy who probably didn't have much value hurt his value by saying he was hurt. He clearly looked hurt to me. I didn't see the usual explosion or burst .  Plus Reggie Miller said during the playoffs that Jeff had a sore achilles and some other issues but he wasn't using it as an excuse.

If a guy  still had a decent season with injuries, why wouldn't he be more enticing to teams knowing he might return to form  once healthy?

Dallas threw a bunch of money at Wes Mathews after his injury but Jeff hurt his value by saying he was hurt? lmao what

You just recognized the sad truth about Atlanta Hawks fans.  They are cynical and they have sacred cows.  They just heard that their allstar PG played with a torn patella for most of the season and instead of applauding him for coming out and playing and still having a good season, they criticize him for even mentioning it.

I never saw a Dallas Cowboy Fan criticize Emmitt Smith for finishing the game with a broken shoulder.   I never saw a NY Kicks fan criticize Willis Reed for playing game 7.

Yet... these sorry Atlanta Fans think that Teague is trying to upend the Hawks???

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You just recognized the sad truth about Atlanta Hawks fans.  They are cynical and they have sacred cows.  They just heard that their allstar PG played with a torn patella for most of the season and instead of applauding him for coming out and playing and still having a good season, they criticize him for even mentioning it.

I'm guessing your sacred cows are anyone other than Dennis.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Thomas said:

I'm guessing your sacred cows are anyone other than Dennis.

Well, we wasn't talking about Dennis but I value Dennis as a BU.  I think he gives us a very good 1-2 punch when Teague comes off the floor.    Would I trade Teague just so that Dennis could be the starter?? NO.. Not unless we got a really good deal.   But I would trade ANY HAWK for the right deal.

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Well, we wasn't talking about Dennis but I value Dennis as a BU.  I think he gives us a very good 1-2 punch when Teague comes off the floor.    Would I trade Teague just so that Dennis could be the starter?? NO.. Not unless we got a really good deal.   But I would trade ANY HAWK for the right deal.

You would only trade Jeff Teague for LeBron James or Kevin Durant. It's obvious you LOVE him that much and think he's a PERMANENT CORNERSTONE PIECE. You are so annoying to argue with I'm not even going to reply to any response.

37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's interesting.  You think he reached his peak... even though he lacked the mobility he had before.  Now Just imagine... With his mobility issue, he went out and raised his 3 point shooting percentage.. He hit 41 more 3 pters than he did last year.   Imagine all that.. plus he gets his mobility back...  And you think he's reached his potential...  Just be honest...

Ok, I'll be honest. I think the window on him is closing compared to Dennis. Teague has been under Bud now for 3 years as a STARTER. We lost in the first round in 7 games to Indy, we lost in the conference finals and the conf. semis via sweep in back to back years to the Cavs. It's not really about the injury with Teague for me but more about his mentality, his mental toughness and leadership. He lacks too much in those departments for me to continue as our starting point guard. I think Bud and the entire organization know this as well. 100% healthy Teague isn't going to change his persona and make-up as a player.

Im sorry but I want my point guard to be a leader, as well as having the ultimate desire to win NO MATTER WHAT. Teague doesn't have these characteristics. His time has come to an end with us in my opinion.

There is no alpha in Teague.

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Moderators

Peeps! Please show a modicum of restraint by dialing back the "you" content. Disagreements about subjects/topics are fine, but no one comes here to hear critiques of posters by other posters. If "you" are saying "you" too much, "you" are creating unnecessary distractions.

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators

The injury doesn't affect Teague's long-term value.  It affects his short-term value which coincides with a big chunk of his trade value.  The injury offers hope for the future (he'll be better when he gets healthy) and reason for concern (is this going to become a chronic issue?).  For the Hawks' trade discussions in the near term, it introduces lots of uncertainty for other franchises considering acquiring him and that is a bad things if the Hawks are trying to maximize his trade value.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

You would only trade Jeff Teague for LeBron James or Kevin Durant. It's obvious you LOVE him that much and think he's a PERMANENT CORNERSTONE PIECE. You are so annoying to argue with I'm not even going to reply to any response.

Please.  I would trade Teague for Gay.   It's a trade that benefits us.  But at the same time, I would look to bring in another PG like Conley or Lin...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ok, I'll be honest. I think the window on him is closing compared to Dennis. Teague has been under Bud now for 3 years as a STARTER. We lost in the first round in 7 games to Indy, we lost in the conference finals and the conf. semis via sweep in back to back years to the Cavs. It's not really about the injury with Teague for me but more about his mentality, his mental toughness and leadership. He lacks too much in those departments for me to continue as our starting point guard. I think Bud and the entire organization know this as well. 100% healthy Teague isn't going to change his persona and make-up as a player.

Im sorry but I want my point guard to be a leader, as well as having the ultimate desire to win NO MATTER WHAT. Teague doesn't have these characteristics. His time has come to an end with us in my opinion.

There is no alpha in Teague.

Marvin Williams believer...

You remember, when we had a young Marvin Williams and people said that we should trade Harrington and trade Crawford so that Marvin would have room to grow?  How people said that Marvin's potential was so great.  But Marvin never did grow?  It was his mentality to be who he was.  Dennis won't stop being Dennis.  He will probably become a little more skilled in some facets of the game like shooting, but his decision making are all based on him wanting to be the man... Much like Westbrook.  He's not a fit for our scheme.  Now if we're going to fire Bud.. and bring in a coach that is more apt to do Isos... then yeah, let's get Teague out of here so that Dennis can be our IsoScrho.  Otherwise... No..

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, AHF said:

The injury doesn't affect Teague's long-term value.  It affects his short-term value which coincides with a big chunk of his trade value.  The injury offers hope for the future (he'll be better when he gets healthy) and reason for concern (is this going to become a chronic issue?).  For the Hawks' trade discussions in the near term, it introduces lots of uncertainty for other franchises considering acquiring him and that is a bad things if the Hawks are trying to maximize his trade value.

Many guys have the same injury and come back.  This is not Microfracture surgery my friend.   Moreover, he improved in other areas while he was playing injured... which makes him more valuable.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Many guys have the same injury and come back.  This is not Microfracture surgery my friend.   Moreover, he improved in other areas while he was playing injured... which makes him more valuable.

You can't believe that someone saying they have a torn Patella that will be an UFA one year from now is more valuable because of the torn Patella.  Come on, D.  Loving Teague is one thing but any uncertainty with health lowers someone's value when your time horizon is that short.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Dennis won't stop being Dennis.  He will probably become a little more skilled in some facets of the game like shooting, but his decision making are all based on him wanting to be the man... Much like Westbrook.  He's not a fit for our scheme.  Now if we're going to fire Bud.. and bring in a coach that is more apt to do Isos... then yeah, let's get Teague out of here so that Dennis can be our IsoScrho.  Otherwise... No..

For the final time....

1. Budenholzer ENCOURAGES Schröder to go ISO. He ENCOURAGES it, and if he is not....

2. What does it say about Budenholzer if he can't control a kid that is barely older than me? I'm 15 months younger than Dennis and have a pretty good feeling on how people aged 17-23 act. If he is telling Dennis what to do on the court and Dennis is ignoring it but not getting harsh discipline for it, then how is Budenholzer going to control higher profile players that are much older than Dennis? He's going to get walked all over by them.

So which is it? Bud either...

1. Doesn't really care if players go ISO because if he did, he'd bench players to discipline them for doing it.

2. He's going to get walked all over by higher profile players if he starts tangling with them.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

You can't believe that someone saying they have a torn Patella that will be an UFA one year from now is more valuable because of the torn Patella.  Come on, D.  Loving Teague is one thing but any uncertainty with health lowers someone's value when your time horizon is that short.

I'm saying that the guy improved in other areas.

I once heard Lindsey Hunter talk about the fact that he learned to use his left hand because he broke his right arm while he was young.  He loved basketball so he learned to dribble and shoot with his left even though he was right handed.  When he got his right arm back, he was not a much bigger threat than he was before because he had to learn how to do something other than dribble and shoot with his right hand.

Teague lost some mobility.  The numbers bear it out.. his three point shooting increased.  He made 41 more three pointers than he had last season and more three pointers than he had made in any season.  Moreover, his percentage on those three pointers also went up.  From 34% to 40%.   I'm not saying he's going to be Ray Allen, but it seems to me that this injury has allowed him to develop his three point shooting.  So that once he gets his mobility back.. he will be able to put em on skates and he can shoot the three.   IN our offense, the biggest weapon for the PG is to be able to hit the open three.  Teague has that.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

For the final time....

1. Budenholzer ENCOURAGES Schröder to go ISO. He ENCOURAGES it, and if he is not....

2. What does it say about Budenholzer if he can't control a kid that is barely older than me? I'm 15 months younger than Dennis and have a pretty good feeling on how people aged 17-23 act. If he is telling Dennis what to do on the court and Dennis is ignoring it but not getting harsh discipline for it, then how is Budenholzer going to control higher profile players that are much older than Dennis? He's going to get walked all over by them.

So which is it? Bud either...

1. Doesn't really care if players go ISO because if he did, he'd bench players to discipline them for doing it.

2. He's going to get walked all over by higher profile players if he starts tangling with them.

I don't doubt for a minute that Bud encourages Schro to go Iso.  It's what Schro does best.  Wouldn't you.  Bud is a coach and a strategist.... when you feed guys with the Budball, having a PG who can go Iso is a great changeup.   However, IsoSchro is not Budball. IsoSchro is the changeup from Budball.  Is the same thing that San Antonio Does.  Tony Parker drive and Kicks.. Patty Mills doesn't pass to anybody.   Both play PG.   Parker doesn't shoot from outside as well, Mills doesn't pass as well.   They are a change up and when Mills replaces Parker, it makes it hard for the defense to continue it's gameplan.

• Moderators

The problem is that shooting varies season to season and he doesn't have the track record of being a guy who shoots 40% from 3pt range or a guy who punishes teams for backing off him.  I agree that it was a very nice step in the right direction but it doesn't outweigh the injury concern for a potential trade partner unless they can give him a clean bill of health - which he made clear is not his present day reality from today's public sham.  I agree with Sothron that this was a very deliberate leak and withdraw from Teague and his agent.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't doubt for a minute that Bud encourages Schro to go Iso.  It's what Schro does best.  Wouldn't you.  Bud is a coach and a strategist.... when you feed guys with the Budball, having a PG who can go Iso is a great changeup.   However, IsoSchro is not Budball. IsoSchro is the changeup from Budball.  Is the same thing that San Antonio Does.  Tony Parker drive and Kicks.. Patty Mills doesn't pass to anybody.   Both play PG.   Parker doesn't shoot from outside as well, Mills doesn't pass as well.   They are a change up and when Mills replaces Parker, it makes it hard for the defense to continue it's gameplan.

Then you agree that Bud will be walked over by higher profile players and this discussion does not need to be continued. Have a nice day.

Edited by Lurker

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Then you agree that Bud will be walked over by higher profile players and this discussion does not need to be continued. Have a nice day.

"Walked over by higher profile players???""  This is why I call you knee jerker.

Did you miss the fact that PG was our strongest position?   I mean for you.. you are always in blow it up mode... Like a kid who is impatient and have never had to wait on anything..  I've been a Hawks fan for a long time.   I have watched the true Knee Jerker (Babcock) at work.  From watching Babcock, I learned that you don't blow it up just to blow it up.  From Watching Babcock I learned  that every man must have a creed.   From Watching Babcock I learned that you have to have a plan.   Your plan only calls for high profile players... Well, we wasn't getting any looks from those before Bud and Bud is the only reason that we get a glance now.

So your notion of walked over is the ramblings of a child.

Okay, what are the odds that

a) the Hawks deliberately let a (severely) hurt player play basically the same minutes throughout the season and

b) Teague plays the way he plays with the injury he claims he had (he did jump/stop etc., there was always a debate if there was something minor or not) and

c) Teague says at the end of the season that there is no real injury, just normal "wear and tear" and

d) Teague says he was/is severrly injured after (serious?) trade rumors/offers appear?

Conspicuous timing, I would say. And unprofessional in any case.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

The problem is that shooting varies season to season and he doesn't have the track record of being a guy who shoots 40% from 3pt range or a guy who punishes teams for backing off him.  I agree that it was a very nice step in the right direction but it doesn't outweigh the injury concern for a potential trade partner unless they can give him a clean bill of health - which he made clear is not his present day reality from today's public sham.  I agree with Sothron that this was a very deliberate leak and withdraw from Teague and his agent.

You got to respect development.

As far as trade partners, they were going to kick the tires anyway.  They were going to give him a physical and have their doctors look over him anyway.  However, I think if I'm a GM and I liked the season that Teague put up.. and then it is disclosed that he spent most of that season injured with a minor injury... I'm like.. where do I sign up.

Point of refrence... LaMarcus Aldridge.  He spent all of the 2014-2015 season with torn ligaments in his thumb.  He was supposed to have surgery that would put him out for 6-8 weeks.  He put that surgery off.  When he went into free agency... he was the hottest commodity.  With torn ligaments in his thumb.