Name some backup PG options

ViewsFromTheSquawk

We've all heard names like Mack,Jennings,and Lin. Let's come up with some more original shall we? Name some PGs you would like to see backing up Schröder that is realistic... My personal favorites are...

Michael Carter Williams-With his size and youth he could be a good backup to Dennis. Sure his jumper is below average and he isn't the best scorer, but his defensive and athletic ability which lead him to his Rookie of the year award is still there. He IMO is a guy we should target an try to snag away from the Bucks who have little interest in him. 

RJ Hunter-Georgia State's own would actually be a good fit here. Sure I know it says he's a shooting guard, but you must know that RJ actually ran some point in his time last season in Boston when Smart got injured for a while, and he also was the main ball handler at Georgia State also. RJ can also shoot much better than most of the guys on the free agent market an I fully believe he could be a 10-5 guy in our system. He's also quite young so he would take time to develop, but he is an intriguing option to say the least

Leandro Barbosa-The Brasilian Blur shown he still has plenty in the tank in his time at GSW. He is an excellent all around player and would compliment Dennis well with a steady hand to add to the second unit. He can also spread the floor and pass exceptionally well. 

Deron Williams-D-Will in the ATL? Yeah why not. I can't imagine him asking for anything north of 10 mil and he is on the downward slide of his career, but we could definitely squeeze some good minutes outta him in a primary bench role here behind Dennis. I think the former all star could be a reliable option for us off the bench in the scoring department and even tho he's a ball dominant player I think given that he plays for a winner he would play within our system in a distributors role. 

Any other names YALL got? 

$10M for a backup PG? They wanted to clear cap space when they traded Jeffs $8M... Who also knows Bud's system. 

The only way they spend more than $4-5M is a bigger PG who could also play beside Dennis (someone like Livingston)

If they trust Dennis a developing PG is signed with Dennis playing 36+ mins. But if Dennis injures himself they may be screwed. So they may add a vet like Kirk as insurance and 3rd PG

Edited by rd79

Being realistic is not always pretty but Trey Burke has not only been in Quin's doghouse but on the positive side has been in a similar roundball system to ours. Less than three million with talent and in need of more coaching up which we are really good at. As someone mentioned yesterday it feels like they owe us because of Mac and now there has been a pretty unbalanced trade of talent with Teague being the big part of it. Counting on our coaching making Burke's much smaller contract pay off with good minutes on the floor as opposed to spending ten million on a vet backup. Money could be distributed more effectively that way.     

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Being realistic is not always pretty but Trey Burke has not only been in Quin's doghouse but on the positive side has been in a similar roundball system to ours. Less than three million with talent and in need of more coaching up which we are really good at. As someone mentioned yesterday it feels like they owe us because of Mac and now there has been a pretty unbalanced trade of talent with Teague being the big part of it. Counting on our coaching making Burke's much smaller contract pay off with good minutes on the floor as opposed to spending ten million on a vet backup. Money could be distributed more effectively that way.     

True. 

It's impossible we can get him for free

7 minutes ago, MrYellow said:

True. 

It's impossible we can get him for free

I think we have two second rounders, one from Miami and another from Washington and also not sure about Brooklyn in 2017. He apparently isn't going to play for Quin whether he truly wants to or not. It's not for free but really for draft and stash guys where we are already healthy. We still don't know about the completion of the trade with them involved as of yet.  

Let's see

Veteran Options - Ramon Sessions, Jared Jack

Young Veterans - Brandon Jennings, Jeremy Lin, (Deron Williams ha!), Ish Smith

Could also work out a trade with Phoenix for Bledsoe or Knight.  Although, I feel Bledsoe is better than Schröder. 

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Let's see

Veteran Options - Ramon Sessions, Jared Jack

Young Veterans - Brandon Jennings, Jeremy Lin, (Deron Williams ha!), Ish Smith

Could also work out a trade with Phoenix for Bledsoe or Knight.  Although, I feel Bledsoe is better than Schröder. 

Good players listed but if Dennis is our starter (I truly think Bud is giving him the reigns) then eight digit contracts for a backup PG are pretty unlikely. Ish Smith sounds like an affordable and good possibility plus he is fast. Lin and Sessions should be pretty affordable and possible as well. Do think Ish could keep the pace up when Dennis goes out.    

Just now, Thomas said:

Good players listed but if Dennis is our starter (I truly think Bud is giving him the reigns) then eight digit contracts for a backup PG are pretty unlikely. Ish Smith sounds like an affordable and good possibility plus he is fast. Lin and Sessions should be pretty affordable and possible as well. Do think Ish could keep the pace up when Dennis goes out.    

Agreed my good sir! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Agreed my good sir! 

I know it sounds like I have a crush of some sorts on Ish Smith but I do think he keeps some serious pace up for us as a backup for a hopefully reasonable salary. Plus, why can't he stick even as a backup PG anywhere. Love foot speed in roundball.

2 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

We've all heard names like Mack,Jennings,and Lin. Let's come up with some more original shall we? Name some PGs you would like to see backing up Schröder that is realistic... My personal favorites are...

Michael Carter Williams-With his size and youth he could be a good backup to Dennis. Sure his jumper is below average and he isn't the best scorer, but his defensive and athletic ability which lead him to his Rookie of the year award is still there. He IMO is a guy we should target an try to snag away from the Bucks who have little interest in him. 

RJ Hunter-Georgia State's own would actually be a good fit here. Sure I know it says he's a shooting guard, but you must know that RJ actually ran some point in his time last season in Boston when Smart got injured for a while, and he also was the main ball handler at Georgia State also. RJ can also shoot much better than most of the guys on the free agent market an I fully believe he could be a 10-5 guy in our system. He's also quite young so he would take time to develop, but he is an intriguing option to say the least

Leandro Barbosa-The Brasilian Blur shown he still has plenty in the tank in his time at GSW. He is an excellent all around player and would compliment Dennis well with a steady hand to add to the second unit. He can also spread the floor and pass exceptionally well. 

Deron Williams-D-Will in the ATL? Yeah why not. I can't imagine him asking for anything north of 10 mil and he is on the downward slide of his career, but we could definitely squeeze some good minutes outta him in a primary bench role here behind Dennis. I think the former all star could be a reliable option for us off the bench in the scoring department and even tho he's a ball dominant player I think given that he plays for a winner he would play within our system in a distributors role. 

Any other names YALL got? 

Realistic? Jennings and Lin are FAs, just a matter of personal preference whether they come or not. Mack is still under contract with Utah, so unless they waive him, I don't see him coming back to ATL. I doubt ATL would trade for him.

MCW - I can't see MIL trading MCW unless ATL takes on Monroe, which I doubt. Bucks don't have any other PGs right now, Bayless and Vasquez are FAs.

RJ - I doubt Boston would give up their 2015 1st round pick in less than a year, especially since they're a team that needs shooters.

Barbosa - He's 33 years old. I would think he'd want to stay in GS since they got a chance to compete for a championship.

Deron - I can't see him leaving his hometown, especially to be a backup.

I don't know sh$t about Ish.  

Always liked Sessions.  Can do everything pretty good, just nothing great.

Lin was great last year.  A change of scenery could drop his overall effectiveness just as well as Bud could lead him to an even better season, dare I say Linsanity Level?  He seems like a great fit alongside Dennis with his size that he uses very well to rebound and keep his dribble.

Jarrett Jack is all heart, which is awesome, but not much else.

Edited by benhillboy

23 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Jack

Watson
Livingston 
Collison
Beverly
Augustin

I wanna dance with you here, Spud2 but I can't get your rhythm.

I'm with you on Augustin, Livingston and Jack but the rest seem off.

Livingston may be a casualty to their KD pursuit.

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I wanna dance with you here, Spud2 but I can't get your rhythm.

I'm with you on Augustin, Livingston and Jack but the rest seem off.

Livingston may be a casualty to their KD pursuit.

Gonzo' got the first dance?...lol

Livingston would be a dream come true, I think he might be the best backup point guard in the league. 

Whats wrong with Collison, Beverly and Watson. Collison is an excellent defensive guy who knows his role and isn't afraid of anyone, he just made that mistake a month ago off the court. Beverly is also a great defender and an all out pest that could give us the much needed tude we need, and the guy plays 110% every game. And Watson has a lot of experience and can shoot it from the outside but in no way is he a chucker, he's had some really good years with Chicago and the scrubs as well.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

I know it sounds like I have a crush of some sorts on Ish Smith but I do think he keeps some serious pace up for us as a backup for a hopefully reasonable salary. Plus, why can't he stick even as a backup PG anywhere. Love foot speed in roundball.

At the trade deadline as part of the rumoref  Noel/Teague deal, Ish was part of it but because of his impending free agency Atl wasn't interested.

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

At the trade deadline as part of the rumoref  Noel/Teague deal, Ish was part of it but because of his impending free agency Atl wasn't interested.

Am I giving too much credit to Ish. I do see him backing up Dennis and being a good BU but maybe doesn't feel he has to backup anyone anymore. In this league I am pretty sure he is off if that is his thinking. 

• Like 1