• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Legal beagles: What does this mean, if anything, to the Mike Scott saga?

sturt

Arraignment is a formal reading of a criminal charging document in the presence of the defendant to inform the defendant of the charges against them. In response to arraignment, the accused is expected to enter a plea. Acceptable pleas vary among jurisdictions, but they generally include "guilty", "not guilty", and the peremptory pleas (or pleas in bar) setting out reasons why a trial cannot proceed. Pleas of "nolo contendere" (no contest) and the "Alford plea" are allowed in some circumstances.

Hmmm.  "Pleas in bar".  Bud should be able to help Scott there.

Edited by Watchman

isn't that where you go in front of the court to hear the charges against you and enter your pleas of guilt or innocence?

arraignment is basically just public confirmation of the courts/state/plaintiff (whatever) intentions against the defendant if I remember correctly...

so that would be the date he'd go in front of the judge to hear his charges... case would be scheduled from there based on court availability and the determining factors.

• Admin

He said the drugs were his when they arrested him and his bro ... Isn't that a evidence enough of him being guilty?

I am surprised he was allowed to travel to play basketball (and go out of the country to Canada) for the season while his trial had not happened yet.

12 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

He said the drugs were his when they arrested him and his bro ... Isn't that a evidence enough of him being guilty?

I am surprised he was allowed to travel to play basketball (and go out of the country to Canada) for the season while his trial had not happened yet.

I think he would still have to plead guilty in COURT for it to stick.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Whatever it was, it was 'multiple' offenses.

Not particularly, a punishment of this sort means it was a "drug of abuse" which are pretty much one and done with the league thus the worry with Scott if he's found guilty.

24 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Not particularly, a punishment of this sort means it was a "drug of abuse" which are pretty much one and done with the league thus the worry with Scott if he's found guilty.

Ok

For sake of this discussion, had Mayo been on someone's roster instead of being a free agent, would his team be provided with an opportunity to sign someone else to take his place?  (i.e. if it happens to Scott, will we be able to sign a replacement other than a "minimum wage" player?)