• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is this our 2016-17 Roster?

I think there is still a trade coming, but not sure if it's a big one or a small one. Hawksfanatic made a recent clarification that Muscala's contract is half guaranteed now, the other half guarantees in January - so we can't just waive him with no penalty after all.

I would expect at least a small deal like Patterson going to Brooklyn. Probably one of Scott or Muscala being involved in another small trade. I could even see Patterson staying and Thabo being on the move somehow.

I believe a trade is still to come.  Nothing earth shattering or starting line-up impacting, but I don't think BudCox will want to watch more assets (Muscala, Patterson, Scott or whoever they decide) walk away for free.   Probably just a trade for a conditional 2nd round pick, but it's better than cutting someone.  While I would love to see us make a move for Rudy Gay (I am a UConn alum after all) or Gallinari, I think this is the team we go to battle with to start the season.  I truly feel there will be another deal later on in the season where at least a wing will be moved (probably Thabo) to make minutes available for Prince and Bembry, but Bud will have to have faith in putting them in, and I doubt he has that today.

Patterson only stays if there is a trade not involving him.  Most likely he  gets talked into playing overseas and checks back in with us in February around the trade deadline.

I really don't see a role for Muscala moving forward.  Even if Scott is moved one way or another, I can only see him getting garbage minutes next year.  When he did get time last year with the regulars, it was strictly because we didn't have Splitter available and Hump wasn't on the team yet.  And since his deal is only partially guaranteed, I feel picking up his option was just insurance in case things went the wrong way in Free Agency.  But the Hawks have NEVER wanted to eat dead money.  I know, new ownership, but old habits die hard for an organization.  He is the most likely to get traded for a 2nd round pick in my opinion.

Scott is the wildcard, and we should know more after training camp opens up about where he will be planning on living this winter.  If it's within walls surrounded by barbed wire, Patterson or Muscala get a reprieve.  If it's outside those walls, then he will stay on the roster.  He has no trade value until midseason if ever, so we must just live with the unknown until then.

Lastly, Hump played most of his time at PF for Washington in 2015-16, but once he came to the Hawks, he basically played back-up center and spent very little time at PF (see 82games.com).  If Splitter is moved, Hump could be the back-up center next year.  It's not ideal, but it may be what Bud has in mind after playing him there last year.

• Premium Member

To be precise, Scott's availability has nothing to do with whether he's in jail or not. If he gets a $5 fine, ie any conviction at all, on the molly charge, he's automatically gone for two years.

And actually, Moose did have a role in the playoffs, which baffled a lot of people b/c it seemingly was at the expense mainly of the minutes Hump might otherwise have played.

I posted a thread a day or two ago under the title that Moose is nothing to write home about, but also nothing to sneeze at.... his production at this point of his still young career can be compared to a slightly-better-scoring, slightly-lesser-rebounding version of Zaza. For $1m, that's worth keeping around at least another year to evaluate.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Waiving Lamar suggests we don't need his salary to make any deals happen, no?

I think this is our roster.

I'm not happy about that, myself, though I know a lot seem to be, so I'll try to focus on the good so as not to be a party pooper... and not that it's that hard to see this roster exceeding the results of the Horf-Teague era if one assumes Prince comes out the gate strong and earns starter minutes if not actual starter status. If he doesn't? Well, like I said, I don't like to be a party pooper, so I'm just going to ignore that possibility and root like hell for Taurean Prince, not exclusively but especially, to thrive. :D

So the Hawks will grab more rebounds and score less than last season.  Pretty boring roster collection again.  

• Premium Member

Bazemore is good-to-outstanding defensively with those tentacles he has for arms, and the hustle he maintains. A major story line of this season should be that our starting guards rival some of the best defensive duos in recent NBA memory. Should. It's up to Dennis and Baze to make it happen.

3 hours ago, cowa said:

I believe a trade is still to come.  Nothing earth shattering or starting line-up impacting, but I don't think BudCox will want to watch more assets (Muscala, Patterson, Scott or whoever they decide) walk away for free.   Probably just a trade for a conditional 2nd round pick, but it's better than cutting someone.  While I would love to see us make a move for Rudy Gay (I am a UConn alum after all) or Gallinari, I think this is the team we go to battle with to start the season.  I truly feel there will be another deal later on in the season where at least a wing will be moved (probably Thabo) to make minutes available for Prince and Bembry, but Bud will have to have faith in putting them in, and I doubt he has that today.

Patterson only stays if there is a trade not involving him.  Most likely he  gets talked into playing overseas and checks back in with us in February around the trade deadline.

I really don't see a role for Muscala moving forward.  Even if Scott is moved one way or another, I can only see him getting garbage minutes next year.  When he did get time last year with the regulars, it was strictly because we didn't have Splitter available and Hump wasn't on the team yet.  And since his deal is only partially guaranteed, I feel picking up his option was just insurance in case things went the wrong way in Free Agency.  But the Hawks have NEVER wanted to eat dead money.  I know, new ownership, but old habits die hard for an organization.  He is the most likely to get traded for a 2nd round pick in my opinion.

Scott is the wildcard, and we should know more after training camp opens up about where he will be planning on living this winter.  If it's within walls surrounded by barbed wire, Patterson or Muscala get a reprieve.  If it's outside those walls, then he will stay on the roster.  He has no trade value until midseason if ever, so we must just live with the unknown until then.

Lastly, Hump played most of his time at PF for Washington in 2015-16, but once he came to the Hawks, he basically played back-up center and spent very little time at PF (see 82games.com).  If Splitter is moved, Hump could be the back-up center next year.  It's not ideal, but it may be what Bud has in mind after playing him there last year.

Should play a lot more PF with Splitter healthy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'm not happy about that, myself, though I know a lot seem to be, so I'll try to focus on the good so as not to be a party pooper... and not that it's that hard to see this roster exceeding the results of the Horf-Teague era if one assumes Prince comes out the gate strong and earns starter minutes if not actual starter status. If he doesn't? Well, like I said, I don't like to be a party pooper, so I'm just going to ignore that possibility and root like hell for Taurean Prince, not exclusively but especially, to thrive. :D

I don't understand why you're hung up on this idea if Prince doesn't contribute in a big way that we're going to be in trouble? I think the kid has a heck of a bright future, at least as a top reserve but more likely a starting wing at some point - probably no later than 2017. But if he ended up not playing a single minute for us this season, I would STILL think we are a better roster than last season. 

He's behind Korver, Baze, Thabo, and Hardaway who I think is going to make a big jump this year. So, why the doom and gloom if Prince isn't a big contributor over one of those guys? And no, this is not me saying I think Prince won't contribute; this is me saying it's not the end of the season if he didn't for some reason. We have good options in front of him. The stress over needing him to produce right away is misplaced IMO.

49 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Should play a lot more PF with Splitter healthy 

Yep. We know Splitter is likely to miss at least some time during the season, so it's nice to have a fallback option in Humph if Edy isn't quite ready yet if/when someone is needed to step up. That's why I think Muscala is likely to stick around too - due to the injury histories of Splitter and Howard. Gotta keep that big man depth around.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I don't understand why you're hung up on this idea if Prince doesn't contribute in a big way that we're going to be in trouble? I think the kid has a heck of a bright future, at least as a top reserve but more likely a starting wing at some point - probably no later than 2017. But if he ended up not playing a single minute for us this season, I would STILL think we are a better roster than last season. 

He's behind Korver, Baze, Thabo, and Hardaway who I think is going to make a big jump this year. So, why the doom and gloom if Prince isn't a big contributor over one of those guys? And no, this is not me saying I think Prince won't contribute; this is me saying it's not the end of the season if he didn't for some reason. We have good options in front of him. The stress over needing him to produce right away is misplaced IMO.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Waiving Lamar suggests we don't need his salary to make any deals happen, no?

To be clear, I don't think we're going to be "in trouble" per se, but obviously we see this roster's likelihood of exceeding the success of the previous era differently.

I am beginning to get excited with this team. Clearly we have some holes although we adressed some of them

We got the dominant center we have been looking in the past, we can play on the glass now, make some inside plays, see some post moves and open space for shooters, defenses will try to stop Dwight, you can see that on Rockets 3pt %

We got slightly bigger at C and SF, guess also SG if Baze is playing there.

We improved our rebounding

We improved our depth, our 2nd unit looks fine now, best I have seen in last 10 years.

We still have some holes

Starting SF is still below average , Prince is just a hope today, we know what we have in Thabo or Korver and probably are on of the 3 worst starters at SF. I f Prince steps up and makes a decent year that would be a plus for us.

No star at wing

No proven scorer for 2nd unit as Crawford, Williams or similar... No 6th man of the year

No go to player for final minutes

And some question marks

Can Schröder play at a level that we get same production as Teague?

Can Jack or Delaney get similar production as Schröder last year?

Can Prince provide 25 min of 3pt and D at SF?

Can Dwight stay healthy?

Overall I think we will be stronger on the paint, have more space for shooters and rebound better with some questions at the PG position and overall defense, a go to scorer would put this team on the top of the east

On 7/4/2016 at 9:16 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

PG: Schröder/Delaney/Patterson

SG: Korver/Hardaway/Bembry

SF: Bazemore/Sefalosha/Prince

PF: Millsap/Scott/Muscala

C: Howard/Splitter/Edy

1. I don't think this is it? I smell a trade? There's something about this lineup that makes be unsettled.  

2. Does anyone think Prince can start right away? If so Baze moves to SG, Prince at SF, Korver to the bench. (I would love this)

3. Is there another C in FAcy left we can get who's better than Splitter for his salary plus our capspace ($11 mil). Or would a team like Denver that has a plethora of young bigs trade one for Splitter for his experience  (they're going after Wade, so this is the time of year when most teams want to make the playoffs).  

So this is our new roster (including un-guaranteed and camp-invites):

PG: Schröder/Delaney/Jack

SG: Korver/Hardaway/Bembry/Eriksson(I think he got a camp invite)

SF: Bazemore/Sefalosha/Prince

PF: Millsap/Humphries/Scott/Muscala/Costello

C: Howard/Splitter/Edy

So in looking at the www.spotrac.com website (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/) regarding our salary, it shows that we have an $8 million dollar trade exception from the Jeff Teague trade which expires on 07/07/2017.  If this is indeed true this can come in handy in a trade before or during the season. We can take on a player whose contract is worth up to $8 million dollars. We would need to clear a roster spot to do this. (Please note it cannot be combined with another player in a trade).

• Premium Member

I missed that... nice catch.

Not that it matters very much, but I also failed to notice that Jack's cap figure is several hundred thousand less than his actual salary.

And the Delaney number makes so much more sense at $2.5m/yr in light of Kudminskas getting $3m from NYK... when we thought he was just getting $1.25m/yr, I was scratching my head.

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

it shows that we have an $8 million dollar trade exception from the Jeff Teague trade which expires on 07/07/2017.  If this is indeed true this can come in handy in a trade before or during the season. We can take on a player whose contract is worth up to $8 million dollars. We would need to clear a roster spot to do this. (Please note it cannot be combined with another player in a trade).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression we were going to have to renounce the Teague trade exception in order to get under the salary cap for the players we have signed.