• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My thoughts on the "Backup PG"

JTB

If you haven't heard Jarrett Jack has been released (props to @JayBirdHawk she called it months ago, still I was surprised)..and now Will Bynum has been released which comes to no surprise.... he was awful.

Delaney has played pretty well in the preseason so I'm not shocked he was awarded Dennis's primary back up however I did still believe that a vet like jack would come in handy even if he's the 3rd pg off the bench...but with that said I would like to make a prediction and say IF there was a need to have the 3rd PG on the floor in case of whatever reason you name it... (I'm not going to use the "injury" word towards Dennis or Delaney lol)....But moving on I do believe our rookie Bembry will be called on to run pg.

Thats right folks I believe bud is rolling with the rookie Bembry as the 3rd PG in rotation.

I think the rookie brings a different element to Buds system. While he isn't no where near as quick with the ball as Dennis I think he's a playmaker and can make all the right passes and play pressure defense against other pgs. He also handles the ball very well. 

Just my 2cent prediction on who would run PG behind Dennis and Delaney.

• Like 1

No successful team has a rookie and 1st-year NBAer as backup and 3rd pg.  We'll be in the trade mkt for a PG IMEO.

Lookin' at you, Shelvin.  (And I was never a Mack fan.)

• Moderators

I believe that Bembry could play PG but since he hasn't played one minute there in the pre-season I don't think Bembry is an option this season.   At least early on.   That Mack trade is looking worse and worse.    What a friggin waste of a trade.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

Delaney isn't a rookie in the normal sense of the word.  He is a veteran.  Whether he is any good is the real question he will have to prove.  I think THJr is next in line and then Bembry.  

I expect Dennis will drive that position and don't predict any material injuries problems for him.

53 minutes ago, AHF said:

Delaney isn't a rookie in the normal sense of the word.  He is a veteran.  Whether he is any good is the real question he will have to prove.  I think THJr is next in line and then Bembry.  

I expect Dennis will drive that position and don't predict any material injuries problems for him.

THJr running point is hilarious to me....I didn't get to watch every preseason game but if he ran it pretty well I guess I cant argue with that even though I don't see him as a playmaker like Bembry could be.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JTB said:

THJr running point is hilarious to me....I didn't get to watch every preseason game but if he ran it pretty well I guess I cant argue with that even though I don't see him as a playmaker like Bembry could be.

Didn't he play point in High school or College?

Delaney was the backup PG. Was all along. Bud doesn't consider him a rookie since he was an Euroleague player.

Now the question if whether he should be is a good one. Offensively he will probably be fine but defensively I don't think he has the lateral speed for the NBA.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't he play point in High school or College?

And now that his rookie year is done, Hardaway Jr. agreed. He needed to get to the basket more last year, so he and his father — former NBA All-Star Tim Hardaway Sr. — began drilling to expand his game into another drive.

Hardaway Sr. also felt that was his son’s biggest weakness a year ago, so he planned on focusing on that anyway. The added encouragement from the Michigan coaching staff helped.

“Skill moves to the hole,” Hardaway Sr. said. “In-and-out moves, crossover moves, spin moves. Understanding how to get to the hole.

“Basically one-on-one moves, that’s all.”

Few would understand how to drive to the basket better than Hardaway Sr., who owned a move named the Killer Crossover during his playing days and was one of the better drive-and-dish point guards in the NBA.

Hardaway Jr. won’t be a point guard now or in the future, but with the way Michigan uses ball screens with redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Morgan, it has become a critical part of the offense. 

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/michigan-guard-tim-hardaway-jr-prepares-for-u-19-usa-basketball-tryouts/

• Like 1

• Admin

I am really not happy with the inexperience at starting pg and an unknown rookie as our backup and no Bembry is not the answer at pg ... 

I hope when he recovers we can give Jack another look ... even with his injury I was thinking he could still be a nice veteran presence / mentor / calming influence for Dennis during games and practice ...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

I am really not happy with the inexperience at starting pg and an unknown rookie as our backup and no Bembry is not the answer at pg ... 

I hope when he recovers we can give Jack another look ... even with his injury I was thinking he could still be a nice veteran presence / mentor / calming influence for Dennis during games and practice ...

cap gets it, as always (well, most of the time :happy:).

Delaney is more Jordan Crawford than folks seem to realize.

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

cap gets it, as always (well, most of the time :happy:).

Delaney is more Jordan Crawford than folks seem to realize.

Whoa whoa...don't label the guy just yet. Let's evaluate as the season starts.

5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Whoa whoa...don't label the guy just yet. Let's evaluate as the season starts.

I've seen enough tricky-dribble, step-back long 2's.  I'm good on that.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I believe that Bembry could play PG but since he hasn't played one minute there in the pre-season I don't think Bembry is an option this season.   At least early on.   That Mack trade is looking worse and worse.    What a friggin waste of a trade.   

Bembry did play point in preseason.  So did THjr.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

He WASN'T (oops) horrible at it in pre-season, was able to get in the paint and make the correct pass.  And his turnovers were low.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bembry did play point in preseason.  So did THjr.

(For once) I don't know the answer to this question.  Did either play point with guys who are sure to make the team?

I have no idea how these things work.  Just thinking, however.  Jarrett Jack was released.  Any

NBA team can now claim him.  However, he is still too injured to play.  Will he be allowed to hang

around the Hawks, continue his rehab and help coach until he's able to play, then re sign here?

2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I have no idea how these things work.  Just thinking, however.  Jarrett Jack was released.  Any

NBA team can now claim him.  However, he is still too injured to play.  Will he be allowed to hang

around the Hawks, continue his rehab and help coach until he's able to play, then re sign here?

I'm wondering as well. I think he might be a little bitter but I guess it depends on other teams and their need for him. But if he signs with the Cavs and tortures us in the playoffs I'm gonna be a bit bitter myself lol