• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My thoughts on the "Backup PG"

JTB

I'm not worried (yet).

In Buds 1st year, Teague was the starter entering year #4, backed up by Shelvin going into year #2 and Dennis as a rookie.

Delaney is a Pero style rookie.

15 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Nah, we've already gifted them one backup PG this summer!

~lw3

No, I'm saying we need to find who we want before they push the price up through their search.

Well TH whas THJ's dad...and he doesnt have to shoot as much. Jack will be back. The other candidates will get more burn, confidence and hopefully they do well.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

cap gets it, as always (well, most of the time :happy:).

Delaney is more Jordan Crawford than folks seem to realize.

when you watch the guy play he looks like a shorter version of Jamaal Crawford not Jordan Crawford and Believe we're going to be just fine at that point guard position. 

• Like 1

If there was ever a time for a Hawk to log heavier-than-usual minutes in the system it's Dennis'.  I know, good luck with getting the training staff to sign off on that.  I'm not very confident in any of these backup options, though.

For all I know Paul could pop up with a little Point-Forward type business and I wouldn't be surprised.  Moving the ball and bringing it up by committee isnt a hard task for Bud.

Dennis is still a kid, and we've all seen that he projects very well as his minutes increase through a respectable sample size.  He maintains his quickness through the fourth quarter, it's just the mental fatigue that does him injustice.  

Tony Parker maxed out at 34.4 minutes per as a 21-year old.  Let's Go, Patch.

Edited by benhillboy

I like Delaney's ability to shoot but he doesn't pass  much and his defense is awful.  Looks more like a small sg rather than pg. I know he has to catch up to the speed of the NBA but his lateral quickness is a concern. He  had trouble keeping guys in front of him.  I think Dennis will play a lot of minutes this year

• Premium Member

Okay, we learned yesterday afternoon that Jack had been cut. Learned this morning that Bynum had been cut.

So, anyone with any theory as to why the lights are off in Hawks HQ tonight, and we're still sitting here with 16 players.... and (presumably) the 16th player being the last guy to even sign a contract?

2016-10-21_2044.png

Probably is meaningless that Magette has not been asked to leave, but just seems very odd to me. Could something be brewing here that would make that circumstance make sense?

29 minutes ago, sturt said:

Okay, we learned yesterday afternoon that Jack had been cut. Learned this morning that Bynum had been cut.

So, anyone with any theory as to why the lights are off in Hawks HQ tonight, and we're still sitting here with 16 players.... and (presumably) the 16th player being the last guy to even sign a contract?

2016-10-21_2044.png

Probably is meaningless that Magette has not been asked to leave, but just seems very odd to me. Could something be brewing here that would make that circumstance make sense?

It cud be that Bynum has an overseas offer and asked to be released?

Bud doesn't exactly have his points pulling a Paul-Wall dribble exhibition in a traffic cop neon vest routine, more than half the time they get over halfcourt and proceed to pass the ball off to the top of the key and the weave and cuts begin.  I'm sure he has trust in Kenneth/Junior/Bembry's ability to get the ball up the court and pass into that set, those guys can even penetrate well enough to create some offense on their own.  We all know that Sap will bring the ball up some off of rebounds and Bud has used Thabo as a point forward in the past too.

I always felt that Jack was a playoff signing that would be Elton Brand at best during most of the regular season.  With the bigman crunch there's really no incentive to carry that type of player on the roster at the moment, there's no lack of guys in suits on the sidelines already that can give advice.  My big question is predominantly over who will defend opposing points behind Dennis though as this is a league overpopulated with cockroaches but a gimpy 32 year old that's a donut away from being a SF wasn't exactly alleviating any of those concerns.  I guess they're depending on Dwight being a one man no-fly zone in the paint.

Well here's the answer to my question on this topic from Bud himself:

In an emergency, Budenholzer suggested that wings Kent Bazemore, Thabo Sefolosha, Tim Hardaway Jr. and DeAndre Bembry could bring the ball up court in the offensive system.

“With (Bazemore) and the way we play in our motion, we are not as point guard dependent,” Budenholzer said. “All of our wings, even Thabo, DeAndre and even Tim. We’ve used Tim in more pick-and-rolls last (exhibition) game. We’ll just keep an eye on how best to manage the 15 guys.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-will-start-season-with-only-two-point-guards-roster/DvxNiixDEUwocoKuGtih4L/

• Like 1

Things may very well change after a good number of crunch situations in the first half of the  season but maybe Bud has that much more vision than everyone else. I truly hope so because we feel unbalanced by quite a bit with the point position right now. 

37 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well here's the answer to my question on this topic from Bud himself:

In an emergency, Budenholzer suggested that wings Kent Bazemore, Thabo Sefolosha, Tim Hardaway Jr. and DeAndre Bembry could bring the ball up court in the offensive system.

“With (Bazemore) and the way we play in our motion, we are not as point guard dependent,” Budenholzer said. “All of our wings, even Thabo, DeAndre and even Tim. We’ve used Tim in more pick-and-rolls last (exhibition) game. We’ll just keep an eye on how best to manage the 15 guys.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-will-start-season-with-only-two-point-guards-roster/DvxNiixDEUwocoKuGtih4L/

That's what I figures would happen. Honestly, might be good for THJ, he'd be a good defender there.

On 10/21/2016 at 10:18 AM, kg01 said:

cap gets it, as always (well, most of the time :happy:).

Delaney is more Jordan Crawford than folks seem to realize.

True baller.

LMAO @ 1:10 . . . that's why I have a soft spot in my heart for this dude, despite his gunning mentality.  He should not be out of the league.  Much worse players than him  still on NBA rosters.

The issue to me with the backup PG, isn't on the offensive end, it's on the defensive end.   That's why if Delaney isn't a decent scoring PG off the bench ( ala Shelvin Mack or Janerro Pargo ), guys like Baze and especially Bembry will be able to get away with playing the point in spot minutes.

I said from the jump that Bembry has a lot of Josh Childress in him, from a versatility standpoint.  Even Chill brought the ball up and initiated the offense at times, from the SF spot.  Bembry won't have any problem doing the same, if called upon to play this role.

It's not too much this dude can't do.  It'll be hard to keep him off of the court, if Bud allows him to play multiple positions.