• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Howard still getting use to motion offense?

JTB

According to Korver this offense is brand new to Howard. Now from my understanding Howard mentioned over the summer that Buds offense was similar to Gundys back in Orlando. I wouldn't expect this to be completely brand new to him unless he's meaning "new" as in i haven't played this style of offense in 3 seasons....

Korver on Howard~

“He gives us a physicality at a position that we just haven’t had to really control everything around the basket,” Korver said. “He is just size that we haven’t had since I’ve been here. We have to learn to utilize that better. We do a decent job but we can get much better using his strengths and he has never played in a motion offense before. He has to learn that there are three, four, five possible reads in pick-and-rolls in a possession. It has to keep going. That’s new to him.”

Its been a while and I don't completely remember Orlandos offense but it sounds like korver is saying all that Orlando shit was completely different than what we are going to do with D8.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JTB said:

According to Korver this offense is brand new to Howard. Now from my understanding Howard mentioned over the summer that Buds offense was similar to Gundys back in Orlando. I wouldn't expect this to be completely brand new to him unless he's meaning "new" as in i haven't played this style of offense in 3 seasons....

Korver on Howard~

“He gives us a physicality at a position that we just haven’t had to really control everything around the basket,” Korver said. “He is just size that we haven’t had since I’ve been here. We have to learn to utilize that better. We do a decent job but we can get much better using his strengths and he has never played in a motion offense before. He has to learn that there are three, four, five possible reads in pick-and-rolls in a possession. It has to keep going. That’s new to him.”

Its been a while and I don't completely remember Orlandos offense but it sounds like korver is saying all that Orlando shit was completely different than what we are going to do with D8.

Of course, Orlando ran a basic ass offensive scheme. Houston and LA ran an uptempo one and wanted Dwight to be in the paint and only in the paint unless he's setting screens. 

Dwight never learned how to be good in the PnR. He just dived. It worked due to his crazy athlete ability but in Atlanta, he has to do a lot more. This is not an easy offense. Dwight will have to learn. Reads mean a lot in this system for offense and defense. 

This is why roll my eyes at terrible opinions on this forum. Dwight has to improve. He makes Dennis look bad at times and puts the offense in a bad position far too often in the preseason and v. Wash. 

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Of course, Orlando ran a basic ass offensive scheme. Houston and LA ran an uptempo one and wanted Dwight to be in the paint and only in the paint unless he's setting screens. 

Dwight never learned how to be good in the PnR. He just dived. It worked due to his crazy athlete ability but in Atlanta, he has to do a lot more. This is not an easy offense. Dwight will have to learn. Reads mean a lot in this system for offense and defense. 

This is why roll my eyes at terrible opinions on this forum. Dwight has to improve. He makes Dennis look bad at times and puts the offense in a bad position far too often in the preseason and v. Wash. 

I agree that Howard didn't make himself available to receive good passes but Dennis wasn't making those passes anyway.  Dwight seemed to  stand there under the basket a lot instead of moving and making himself available ... he didn't do a good job of trying to really post up guys ... He needs to work on that as well as setting picks up top which will enhance the pnr ... 

You obviously watched a different game if you think Dennis did a good job of running the offense last night and it was Dwight making him look bad though.  Dennis was making himself look bad as a pg all by himself.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I agree that Howard didn't make himself available to receive good passes but Dennis wasn't making those passes anyway.  Dwight seemed to  stand there under the basket a lot instead of moving and making himself available ... he didn't do a good job of trying to really post up guys ... He needs to work on that as well as setting picks up top which will enhance the pnr ... 

You obviously watched a different game if you think Dennis did a good job of running the offense last night and it was Dwight making him look bad though.  Dennis was making himself look bad as a pg all by himself.  

Dennis has made the right passes in the pre-season. Washington has ball hawks like Porter, Beal and Wall. It's really hard to make passes v. them. They are terrors in the passing lane and have been in the preseason as well. I watch Washington games as I live here. The problem is, when Dwight makes a bad read, it puts everyone in a tough position. Sometimes he's fighting with Sap on who's going to be the screener when it's usually by play or what side we're on. Dwight going to have to get used to this. It's such an instinctive system. 

Dennis did not run the offense well last night. I stated that already in another thread. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If Dwight can learn the system well this year we are probably looking at an All NBA type season as his rebounding and physical presence like Korver said and his "elite" defense, rebounding, and blocking skills like Bud said are already top notch.  I love watching a team impose their will.  I love smash mouth football and I loved watching Dwight dominate the paint.

My very, very layman's terms analysis is that while Howard had some good moments and certainly helped with rebounding, there was times where he looked confused as to what he needed to do in the half court. I'm not sure that standing near the perimeter without being engaged in an offensive play is very helpful.

When he's not engaged in an offensive play he needs to be near the basket.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

My very, very layman's terms analysis is that while Howard had some good moments and certainly helped with rebounding, there was times where he looked confused as to what he needed to do in the half court. I'm not sure that standing near the perimeter without being engaged in an offensive play is very helpful.

This.

Dennis and others missed him on early post ups, but in the half court sets he was a statue. Not enough movement.

Our spacing also needs work.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Lurker said:

He completely admitted to this during the interview posted... he's still learning. I don't have the time that I wish I had to study our offense, but if it's this complicated that you have a whole summer and training camp and you still  don't know it well... dang... no wonder you want to lock-up a starting PG for the long-term.