• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Moose love

sturt

22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Humphries has struggled recently but still brings the toughness we need.  Anyone know if his knees giving him trouble - he has had them wrapped for games.

Regarding Scott - he is still the unknown, it will take him awhile to get back in basketball shape.

Splitter can still be useful if he ever stays on the court

This is what I'm afraid of, in regards to Splitter.

Image result for tiago splitter atlanta hawks       =       Image result for speedy claxton atlanta hawks

Am 10.11.2016 at 17:48 , TheNorthCydeRises sagte:

I have to admit that Moose has come a long way, and fully took advantage of the Mike Scott and Tiago Splitter injuries.  This dude is flat out playing winning basketball, especially on the offensive end.  Along with Thabo, Malcolm, and Timmmmmay Jr, they have formed the best bench in basketball so far this season.

To let everyone know just how important rebounding is, you just have to look at the play he made in the Cleveland game

That was Moose going over top of Lebron James and Tristan Thompson for an offensive rebound that he timed perfectly, and dunked it before they could even get off the ground.  That's a play that neither Scott nor Splitter makes.   Hell, that's a play that Millsap nor Horford makes.  It's a great hustle play that illustrates the new toughness that this team has exhibited these past 3 weeks.

You just have to wonder if this is just a good stretch of great basketball from Moose and Thabo, or will they revert back to their mediocre norms?   Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of the way Moose is playing now.  And when Splitter and Scott comes back, Moose's minutes should NOT be cut.

Plz not more of those sawft euro players like Moose, Thabo and Dennis.

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is what I'm afraid of, in regards to Splitter.

Image result for tiago splitter atlanta hawks       =       Image result for speedy claxton atlanta hawks

The difference is Speedy was expected to start and signed to a big 4 year deal.  Splitter is expiring this season.

The Hawks NEEDED Speedy, Splitter is a luxury.  

In North America, moose injure people more than any other wild mammal. In the NBA, a rare species of moose has terrorized opposing bench units this season. Mike “Moose” Muscala, hailing from the great state of Minnesota aka actual moose territory, has become a vital cog to the Atlanta Hawks as the latest success story from Hawks University.

In his fourth season with Atlanta, the 2013 second round pick from Bucknell has averaged 20.2 minutes per game as the first big off the bench. Muscala has effectively doubled his playing time and field goal attempts from last season, while increasing his field goal percentage.

My favorite obscure Moose stat is his field goal percentage of 62.7 percent being the third best of all NBA players who attempt at least five shots per game. Dwight Howard slots in just ahead of Muscala at 63 percent.

A key factor in his sky high FG percentage, Muscala’s mid range jumper continues to thrive at 61.5 percent on 13 shots so far. Although producing well from basketball analytic’s least favorite shot, Muscala needs to improve his shot from beyond the arc. 28.6 percent from three-point range does not invoke fear into opposing defenders. An increased percentage from downtown would help create more space for himself and others.

While the Hawks have not played a treacherous schedule so far, Muscala has played more, been involved more in the offense, and scored at his most efficient rate yet. Those statistical increases illustrate a significant step forward in Muscala’s development.

On the defensive end of the court, Muscala continues to develop showing increased awareness during off ball situations and rotations. His strength will always be his length and versatility to cover both forwards and centers.

Development takes time in the NBA. Not all franchises have the resources, or patience, to slowly grow young talent. Luckily, Atlanta has become one of the league’s torchbearers for developing and cultivating prospects. Mike Muscala’s ascendance from Euro ball and the D League to key contributor on a likely playoff team demonstrates that commitment to player development.

No longer chained to the back end of the bench, Moose is prospering, running free up and down the plain, or court.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/11/15/13559070/mike-muscala-key-contributor-bench-atlanta-hawks

• Moderators
9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Whiteside abused Moose tonight. I know he is good and all but that was really discouraging to see considering Moose has played himself into the top bench big. If we ever loose Dwight we are in trouble. Missing Edy right about now. 

Hassan is averaging 16 rebounds a game though.   So he's abusing everyone.    The good news is we shouldn't see him in the playoffs this year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Hassan is averaging 16 rebounds a game though.   So he's abusing everyone.    The good news is we shouldn't see him in the playoffs this year. 

Cmon you know it's more than just Whiteside though. Do you really think Moose could bang with half the bigs out here? Until Splitter is back that should be Humphries role but for some reason with Dwight out Bud rolled with Moose and the small lineup (before switching him for Millsap). 

If Bud loves Moose that much it will be to our detriment. Hump is your backup banger and he ate pine. Edy was released for a stretch 4. Bud is continuously showing he favors shooting over rebounding and in 4 years Dwight is the only exception to that theory

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Cmon you know it's more than just Whiteside though. Do you really think Moose could bang with half the bigs out here? Until Splitter is back that should be Humphries role but for some reason with Dwight out Bud rolled with Moose and the small lineup (before switching him for Millsap). 

If Bud loves Moose that much it will be to our detriment. Hump is your backup banger and he ate pine. Edy was released for a stretch 4. Bud is continuously showing he favors shooting over rebounding and in 4 years Dwight is the only exception to that theory

Yep.  Other than our 2 highest paid players both being top 10 rebounders in the league at their positions Bud has shown no interest in rebounding.   He sucks.   If he'd played Hump instead of Moose we might have won the game.   

Lol, a lot of words added there. But if you're going to act like us pulling out a narrow win thanks to us making free throws over a team that is struggling mightily is validation over the fact that rebounding has been our biggest weakness over the past few seasons and has resulted in embarrassing sweeps in the playoffs after losing on the glass by double figures then go right ahead. I like Bud, but he isn't without flaws, nobody is. Moose got used and abused and per the post game recap Millsap had to literally beg Bud to put him on Whiteside down the stretch. We all saw how he was single handedly taking the game over. So yes, sarcasm is very funny 10 games in to the year,  but come playoff time if Dwight goes down or gets in to foul trouble, it will be our opponent that has the last laugh. Check the ego at the door, we are where we are because we have turned in completely around on the glass. Without Dwight, we revert back to the poor rebounding team we have always been under Bud, even with top 10 Paul. 

• Moderators

Bud did stubbornly keep playing Moose against Cleveland last year when it was glaringly obvious that Hump was the better option.  Not sure where the extreme loves comes from but I am happy that Moose is so much improved this year.  With Splitter, Hump, Moose, Scott and Kelly we've got a lot of good depth in the front court.  If Splitter gets hurt again (shock I know) then a Howard injury would put us in a rough spot against physical frontcourts.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Lol, a lot of words added there. But if you're going to act like us pulling out a narrow win thanks to us making free throws over a team that is struggling mightily is validation over the fact that rebounding has been our biggest weakness over the past few seasons and has resulted in embarrassing sweeps in the playoffs after losing on the glass by double figures then go right ahead. I like Bud, but he isn't without flaws, nobody is. Moose got used and abused and per the post game recap Millsap had to literally beg Bud to put him on Whiteside down the stretch. We all saw how he was single handedly taking the game over. So yes, sarcasm is very funny 10 games in to the year,  but come playoff time if Dwight goes down or gets in to foul trouble, it will be our opponent that has the last laugh. Check the ego at the door, we are where we are because we have turned in completely around on the glass. Without Dwight, we revert back to the poor rebounding team we have always been under Bud, even with top 10 Paul. 

We aren't disagreeing on much.   My only complaint is the idea that Bud has some aversion to rebounding.   Last four seasons he went to war with the army he had.   When he's had the chance to upgrade he did.   

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

We aren't disagreeing on much.   My only complaint is the idea that Bud has some aversion to rebounding.   Last four seasons he went to war with the army he had.   When he's had the chance to upgrade he did.   

It's the same narrative about Bud not playing Rookies.  We never had any rookies (besides Dennis) worth playing.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's the same narrative about Bud not playing Rookies.  We never had any rookies (besides Dennis) worth playing.

I think we have three (at least two) worth playing this year.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AHF said:

I think we have three (at least two) worth playing this year.  

Think that last night was enough of a showing that many teams in the league would already have Prince on the floor for no less than twenty minutes per game. He has such a feel for the NBA game already from the little I have seen. Pretty energized by him being here with us for a good while into the future at the very least. No doubt for me he is a long term starter for a decade or more beginning in the not to distant future.  

Posted this in another thread but is truly Moose related. My apologies for redundancy.

For a guy that looks like he only gained five or six pounds of muscle in the offseason he is playing a world above last years performance. Experience is a wise investment but I really didn't think Moose would pay off for the Hawks the way he has and he seems so much more comfortable on the floor period. No one looks like a beast against Whiteside so I feel like I'm being realistic about his play this season especially since Moose isn't receiving twenty plus million this year like Hassan is.