• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Give me a good reason THJ shouldn't be considered to start

JTB

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

I hope this at least revives our bench production.  

You got your wish. Your bf beat me in fantasy football. But I'm tellin you this, if he goes on to win it all and doesn't buy you a pretty lil sundress then  I'm gonna put my foot down.

#Dieselcheerleaderfoundation

and yes, I hope our bench is revived tonight because the beast is in town.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Bazeless's back in the starting lineup today...yay (not).

The horror. The horror. Do know we're not talking about Marlon Brando here and I really hope Bud sees something that will work with Baze as a starter that the rest of us don't see. The last two games Baze has been ok but he was in the role of off the bench. Hoping for the best but benching Thabo means the same old adage that Baze is out of position as a starter once again.  

31 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The horror. The horror. Do know we're not talking about Marlon Brando here and I really hope Bud sees something that will work with Baze as a starter that the rest of us don't see. The last two games Baze has been ok but he was in the role of off the bench. Hoping for the best but benching Thabo means the same old adage that Baze is out of position as a starter once again.  

He's going to be replacing Hardaway Jr actually.

14 hours ago, Lurker said:

He's going to be replacing Hardaway Jr actually.

Does make some more sense I guess. Feel he's an expensive role player right now but like everyone else I hope he proves me very wrong about his best future role here. Ball handling is such a huge concern for us and he hasn't helped there.   

On 12/13/2016 at 7:39 PM, AHF said:

@JayBirdHawk  Do you see any reason long-term that the contracts given to people as a % of the cap are going to fundamentally change from what we have seen in the past?  As above, I get that right now contracts are catching up to the much higher cap but once they are caught up is there any reason a borderline starting wing would get say 7-9% of the cap back in the 58M cap day but now will get 17% in the 102M cap days?  Compare him to say 1999-00 Jim Jackson who averaged 17, 5 and 3 for the Hawks and was roughly 5% of the team's total payroll.  Or maybe Raja Bell who was 6.7% of the Suns' payroll near the peak of his career earnings when he was 2nd on the team in minutes playing alongside Shaq, Nash, Amare, Marion, Barbosa, Diaw, (Hawk owner and 31.7 mpg cat) Grant Hill, etc.

On 12/14/2016 at 9:15 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

I think a lot will depend on the new CBA. Will the figures increase for the mid-level, vet min, exceptions, Rookie deals etc.

I agree at some point it will normalize. But  It's not just the 4th and 5th starter getting a higher %, it's guys 1-3 getting max deals that shouldn't. It's a trickle down effect.

The rate at which higher % deals are happening, more teams will end up in luxury tax territory. Teams will match RFAs - it's a chance most teams will take right now for the next 3-4 years based on a projected increase in salary cap.

They are hedging their bets that by that time those salaries will be off the books when things 'normalize'.

I don't know if that answered.your question but I kinda rambled.

@AHF  as a follow up......

• Moderators
On 12/21/2016 at 2:38 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

@AHF  as a follow up......

It is less about the new MLE and more about the excess cap room going away and GMs seeing the lesson that you'd rather let replaceable role players go than pay them that % of your cap space.  Role players could have gotten $8.3M contracts this year so the MLE doesn't really do anything to compress prices but it is inevitable that the bubble would burst and guys like Turner, Bazemore, etc. would not command that kind of room.

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Why did we pay Baze 70 million? Was Bud drunk or something?

We could afford it (as could a bunch of other teams judging by similarly stupid deals) and we don't have a lot of quality wing depth so we were afraid to lose the guy Bud probably views as our best wing.  Never should have done it.

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Blah, blah, blah, nimbuhs ...

We could afford it (as could a bunch of other teams judging by similarly stupid deals) and we don't have a lot of quality wing depth so we were afraid to lose the guy Bud probably views as our best wing.  Never should have done it.

Agree on Skip's deal.  Pretty sure even Budz has buyer's morose over that deal even this early.

Oddly, I think I'm now convinced that each of this past offseason's overpaid wangs are probably better suited on each others' teams.  Like there needs to be a wheel-of-wang where each of us trades a wang for a wang.  I'd take Crabbe or *gasp* even Turner over Skip BazeLess.

Man that's a lotta wangs.  Last time this many wangs got together was Dolfan's bachelorette(sp?) party.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Agree on Skip's deal.  Pretty sure even Budz has buyer's morose over that deal even this early.

Oddly, I think I'm now convinced that each of this past offseason's overpaid wangs are probably better suited on each others' teams.  Like there needs to be a wheel-of-wang where each of us trades a wang for a wang.  I'd take Crabbe or *gasp* even Turner over Skip BazeLess.

Man that's a lotta wangs.  Last time this many wangs got together was Dolfan's bachelorette(sp?) party.

Speaking of Dolf, I believe I spotted him a couple of days ago...

IMG_7585.JPG

10 hours ago, kg01 said:

I was thinking of a deal to send Baze, Kelly and Splitter's expiring to Blazers for Crabbe, Plumlee and Vonleh. 

14 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Would do that in a hot second for hawks, but not sure why Portland would. 

Portland has buyers remorse.

Saves them about $6 mil swapping Crabbe and Baze (excluding player options) - we can sell them on Baze being a defensive stopper, Portland is really bad defensively.

Plumlee is due an extension, after over paying Myers Leonard last offseason, I don't think Portland wants to pay Plumlee.

Splitter saves them money.

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Portland has buyers remorse.

Saves them about $6 mil swapping Crabbe and Baze (excluding player options) - we can sell them on Baze being a defensive stopper, Portland is really bad defensively.

Plumlee is due an extension, after over paying Myers Leonard last offseason, I don't think Portland wants to pay Plumlee.

Splitter saves them money.

So what is Meyers Leonard at this point, C or PF or just nine million on the bench? His stats aren't too nice and thought he would be on the floor more minutes.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6605/meyers-leonard

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Got me, he's 7'-1" - he can't be any worse than what Splitter is giving us.

That and apparently he and Cousins don't get along.  We did aiight with a 6'10+" 2-guard who hated Cousins playing center(sic), right?

#ShotsFired