• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can we win with this core?

tonegully

Sap is getting the max from some team with money to spend and nothing to lose. The question is do we want to give him our max (*5yr, 193 million) because I don't see him taking a 4 year deal from us.

Can this team give the Cavs (who we just helped) a run for their money in the playoffs? If you think they can, you ride this thing on out. If you think they can't, you sell. It is that simple but that difficult to measure. Tough decision for Bud.

• Like 1

This offseason entirely depends on whether or not we trade Millsap and if we do what exactly do we get in return? If we get someone like Jokic this could easily be built into a title contender... If we get someone like Gay or Gallinari we might as well blow it up because we would be in the exact same place we just were just with different players. Treadmilling 

1 hour ago, GameTime said:

Can this team give the Cavs (who we just helped) a run for their money in the playoffs? If you think they can, you ride this thing on out. If you think they can't, you sell. It is that simple but that difficult to measure. Tough decision for Bud.

I'm voting yeah, we can and will give them a battle they don't want. They don't like not dominating the boards and having multiple attempts per trip down court. Awkwardly small window but still want us to take it. Beat LeBron while it counts.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think the real decision was made this past summer.   We have a hot commodity in Millsap that gets us less than half his value in trade.   When we decided to pick up Dwight and failed to resign Horford, we basically resigned ourselves to this makeup with Millsap.  Either that or a rebuild (total) which will indeed cost us the last quality years of Dwight.  SO... I think the main thing is that we hold the Millsap, Dwight, Dennis core to see what it can be.  We won't have the money to go after a big name free agent this summer because our 20 million in Millsap will be decreased and meaningless.   I think Plan A was a Dennis, Horf, and Dwight core.. well now.. it's on to plan B.

$20M for Millsap? What is this 2010 Salary cap? Lol you guys are fooling yourselves if you think Paul will sign anywhere close to a deal that nets him an average of $20M/year. The guy can get a max deal of $154.8M over 4 years (average $38.7M/year) and you are going to try and pay him as if he is Bazemore?

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

$20M for Millsap? What is this 2010 Salary cap? Lol you guys are fooling yourselves if you think Paul will sign anywhere close to a deal that nets him an average of $20M/year. The guy can get a max deal of $154.8M over 4 years (average $38.7M/year) and you are going to try and pay him as if he is Bazemore?

That's true but offer upper 20s with a 5th year and i think he'll take it.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That's true but offer upper 20s with a 5th year and i think he'll take it.   

There's no way. Let's just say you offer him an average of $30M for 5 years, which is $150M total. You think he would accept that over someone maxing him out at $154.8M/4years? The dude is loyal, but not stupid.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

There's no way. Let's just say you offer him an average of $30M for 5 years, which is $150M total. You think he would accept that over someone maxing him out at $154.8M/4years? The dude is loyal, but not stupid.

What team is going to offer him a full max deal?   

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What team is going to offer him a full max deal?   

I could see MIN, ORL, DEN, NOP. Then you could add possible teams like UTA and SAC. Paul Millsap is ranked as the #7 top FA for 2017. Before him are Curry, Durant, Griffin, Paul, Hayward and Lowry. Curry, Durant and Lowry are mostly likely to stay with their current teams. I also think Griffin and Paul stay as well. That leaves Paul as a top 3 free agent at least.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

I could see MIN, ORL, DEN, NOP. Then you could add possible teams like UTA and SAC. Paul Millsap is ranked as the #7 top FA for 2017. Before him are Curry, Durant, Griffin, Paul, Hayward and Lowry. Curry, Durant and Lowry are mostly likely to stay with their current teams. I also think Griffin and Paul stay as well. That leaves Paul as a top 3 free agent at least.

I could see Sap going to Utah, Minny, or New Orleans.   Those are legit destinations.  Utah is a Hawks-like team that needs to add pieces to contend in the West.   Can they do that and still pay max deals to Sap and Hayward?   NOP and Minny are promising in other ways for Sap but does he want to go to teams that can't sniff the playoffs without him?

I"m just saying that it's easy to say he'll get a max offer but someone actually has to write that check and they'll be making the same judgment that we are right now about whether it's prudent to put a huge chunk of your payroll into a 32 PF.

Sturt mentioned the big "what if" that all NBA teams must worry about.

High ankle sprain or a tear and the view changes - - drastically !

Imagine "The King" suffers a tendon tear.  The Cavs become human again.

It could happen.  We hope not, but it could.

Health for all of us is a delicate balance.  Stuff happens.  No one comes with

a GUARANTEE OF GREAT HEALTH...

We've been winning with this core. Can we win a championship? Probably only the Cavs and the Warriors can win a championship for the next 5 years or so. That doesn't mean we should pack it in and tank until then. I want enjoyable competitive basketball and we can continue to do that with our current core in place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

I think your numbers are incorrect for another team offering a 4 year max. His yearly increase from another team  would be 4%.  Hawks can offer 8% increases (i think those are the new CBA nbrs, I'm also assuming a $102 salary cap)

I do agree that he will not sign any deal starting at $20 million.  That's what he is currently making.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think your numbers are incorrect for another team offering a 4 year max. His yearly increase from another team  would be 4%.  Hawks can offer 8% increases (i think those are the new CBA nbrs, I'm also assuming a $102 salary cap)

I do agree that he will not sign any deal starting at $20 million.  That's what he is currently making.

The new CBA agreement was reported as having 5% increases for non-Bird exception players, but don't know if that's 100% accurate until it is completely signed. This was based on $103M salary cap. I used Hawksfanatic's numbers, but for some reason he starts with an 8% and 5% increase for bird and non-bird, respectively, after the first year but then it goes to 7.5% and 4.5% in following years. Not sure why he did that though.