Justin Patton

aali34

• Premium Member

The Atlanta Hawks are set for the future at the point(starting) and wing positions.With Millsaps possible departure it makes sense to draft a powerforward to replace him. But most of the bigs in this draft are either athletic and not skilled, skilled but bad defensivley, or just raw. 

There is one player I like who plays for Creighton -Justin Patton.

He was projected to go 12 in next years draft but may decide to go one and done. If we hold on to Dwight for the remainder of his contract he could develop nicely off the bench.

Basically He is similar to Embiid in the sense that Taurean is similar to Kawhi Leonard. 

At least the eye test says that.

Edited by aali34

• 1 month later...

Yeah I like this guy. He would be my ideal choice for our fist pick but he will probably be out of range.  If he isn't available I would try to get the kid from Germany Hartenstein.   Would use the 31st pick on Juwan Evans or Josh Hart.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I doubt he drops but it would be great... @Thomas it's ur boy. 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/101704668/

Would be surprised if he is available at nineteen but certainly would appreciate it. The way he gets up and down and is pretty smooth on offense for that young of a player looks promising. Rejects some shots as well. Imagine he probably would see minutes at two positions until he is bigger. 

• Like 1

I can't get over the fact that this guy is close to a 7 footer and played in a mid major conference, and he was able to only get 6.1 RPG and 9.6 per 40.  He's very much a below average rebounder for the position.   He also shoots only 33% on 2 point jump shots.  His percentage on three point shots was 37.5%, but that was on only 5% of his attempts, so it is a small sample size.  He's a 51% free throw shooter, which does not bode well for his ability to make jumpers in the NBA. 

I just don't see it.  I see another overhyped young guy who is perceived to have potential only because his flaws haven't been exposed yet.  This kid really needed another 2 years in college to develop his game.  Now, he will spend at least the next two years bouncing from the end of the bench to the developmental league.

I'm a broken record on this and will continue to be, but smart teams do not take this guy over Caleb Swanigan. 

Will make two points on it. Several sites feel Swanigan can be available very late first or even as late as mid second so both guys could possibly be had with some or no movement. Depending on what a GM wants in reference to a player that can run up and down the court very quickly and be a probable center at some point as opposed to the post power player. Watching clips is all I've got for the eye test but I like them realizing that Justin has got to get bigger for the C.  His overall percentages excluding the foul line are very good. Shot 67% from the floor. Stats are below from ESPN. Didn't take many threes but he shot over 50%. Don't know where those other lesser stats are from but I don't see them. Those numbers and his speed at his height is why I would be surprised if he is indeed around at 19.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3912332/justin-patton  

• Like 2

I really like him as a prospect.

I do not think he is ready to play NBA basketball, but it's not because of his skill level or how he plays the game. Read what he says and watch a bit of his game. He totally understands what the modern NBA game is.

His body is not ready and he's still developing his skillset.

One of my favorite projects in this draft. Too small for now for what center is. But has excellent footwork, skill, BBIQ, feel for the game and rangy. I think he's a player like Bembry who probably needs a redshirt year but he could get some time. He doesn't have the frame to really put on much bulk. I think he will top out at 240-245 max. But he reminds me of a raw version of: 

• Like 2

Finally, more people are jumping on the Patton band wagon.  Give Bud this guy and if he gets an extra 20 - 30 pounds the Hawks will be in business!  Dennis, THjr, Patton, Jonathan Motley (see what I did there :)) and Taurean Prince.  Is a starting five I can get behind.  Versatility at its best. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

One of my favorite projects in this draft. Too small for now for what center is. But has excellent footwork, skill, BBIQ, feel for the game and rangy. I think he's a player like Bembry who probably needs a redshirt year but he could get some time. He doesn't have the frame to really put on much bulk. I think he will top out at 240-245 max. But he reminds me of a raw version of: 

I don't see that comparison.  He's neither the shot blocker nor the rebounder Camby was.

Just now, KB21 said:

I don't see that comparison.  He's neither the shot blocker nor the rebounder Camby was.

He's raw right now. He is averaging 9.6 RPG per40 which is close to Marcus Soph year. While Camby avg 24ppg 40per his soph year, Patton is avg 20.3 40per with a superior FG% and 3pt range. 

Shot blocking is the one area where Camby was elite and Patton is for the most part, below average. Other than that, Soph stats and even seeing that the Big East is a power conference compared to what Camby was in makes it more reasonable. That said, Patton is still raw, Camby was polished as a Soph. 

Patton doesn't have 3 point range, IMO.  Only 5% of his shots were behind the college arc, and he hit those at a 37% clip.  However, he hit 2 point jumpers at a 33% clip and is a 51% free throw shooter.  He's not going to be a floor spacer in the NBA.  He's not a low post scoring threat either.  He's a below average rebounder who is going to have to make his hay as a rim runner.  

Physically, he's nowhere close to being ready for the NBA.  This is the guy who will spend at least 2 years in the D League, and I doubt he's more than an end of the bench guy in his 3rd year.  He will be on his second contract and second team before he ever becomes a contributor in the NBA.  

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Patton doesn't have 3 point range, IMO.  Only 5% of his shots were behind the college arc, and he hit those at a 37% clip.  However, he hit 2 point jumpers at a 33% clip and is a 51% free throw shooter.  He's not going to be a floor spacer in the NBA.  He's not a low post scoring threat either.  He's a below average rebounder who is going to have to make his hay as a rim runner.  

Physically, he's nowhere close to being ready for the NBA.  This is the guy who will spend at least 2 years in the D League, and I doubt he's more than an end of the bench guy in his 3rd year.  He will be on his second contract and second team before he ever becomes a contributor in the NBA.  

He was 57.1% is extremely high for a center in college especially for an underclassman from three. Not sure where you see 37%. He was 68.4% from 2. What the hell are you looking at son?

Are you trolling? I can't take you seriously. You are trolling and lying. 

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Patton-7310/career/

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Bro you gotta cite your sources...just like when you writing a college paper...

I said he was the Cambyman 2 months ago bro...Comon man.

I like the way you think though for obvious reasons ;-) 

IMG_9909.PNG

IMG_9908.PNG

Yeah I wouldn't call the Big East a bad conference. It's actually better than some of the traditional power conferences (*cough* *cough* SEC *cough*).

KB21 is making ish up to make ish up.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

college arc, and he hit those at a 37% clip.  However, he hit 2 point jumpers at a 33% clip

Where are those stats at, need a link to anywhere from you. ESPN has his stats at 67% from the floor and over 50% from three in thirty five games this season averaging twenty five minutes a game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3912332/justin-patton

Even Korver only shot 45% from three this year so not should a bold statement there. The way I believe he would be used early (whenever that would begin) his two point percentage should be pretty good by getting a lot of looks moving to the basket as well as on the break. Clips are abundant for examples. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/seasontype/2

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Even Korver only shot 45% from three this year so not should a bold statement there. The way I believe he would be used early (whenever that would begin) his two point percentage should be pretty good by getting a lot of looks moving to the basket as well as on the break. Clips are abundant for examples. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/seasontype/2

Why would I draft a guy who's basically a rim runner over a guy who I can feed the ball to in the low post, play him in the high post, and have him be the pick and pop man on a pick and roll?