• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud has no choice . . try Bembry at the backup PG

TheNorthCydeRises

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

While he's a much better coach, he's also more stubborn than Woody ever was.

Bud is stubborn but I also recall Woody being pretty damn stubborn as well. I think Bud's stubbornness will create better players while Woody was just dumb and power trippin like a mista potato head would.

15 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think Bud's stubbornness will create better players

I'm still banking on that even with a totally bizarre season giving such a poor example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

I'm still banking on that even with a totally bizarre season giving such a poor example.

I think I'm going to be one of the last ones off of the Bud boat. Simply put, I like the guy as our coach and hope he stays for 25 years.

Bazemore is what he is. An average player in a well spaced offense in which all he has to do is move off the ball to get layups and hit corner threes and a bad one in one that isn't well spaced. I have been saying to trade him but it actually might be better for him to "Greg Monroe" Dwight Howard or put Bazemore on the bench and play him with shooting/passing lineups.

Either trade Bazemore for Ellis or do something that will restore Bazemore's value, then trade him after the 2018 season.

I know, this is OT but I saw a post about development.

Edited by Lurker

Having mucho trouble with my patience these days but will say if we do keep Tim it will be interesting next year with Dennis, Tim and Prince hopefully getting over thirty minutes each and every game. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's like last year in the playoffs, when Bud was opting to go with Moose instead of Humphries.  We were getting destroyed on the boards, and Moose was giving us nothing.  Then Horford started getting destroyed as well.

The fans knew that Humphries should've been playing the entire time.  Bud waits until he's basically out of options until going to Hump, who produces almost immediately.

While he's a much better coach, he's also more stubborn than Woody ever was.

I don't know how you measure stubbornness but this seems like selective memory.   Woody was going to let teams switch Bibby onto people until the end of time.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I too can't understand why Bud is seemingly blind to Delaney's struggles out there. Malcolm has failed the eye test for most of the season thus far.  Delaney must have compromising photos of Bud having an affair or something.  Anybody remember how / why Bembry got the opportunity in Houston and why he hasn't gotten it since?  Was Delaney injured then?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I too can't understand why Bud is seemingly blind to Delaney's struggles out there. Malcolm has failed the eye test for most of the season thus far.  Delaney must have compromising photos of Bud having an affair or something.  Anybody remember how / why Bembry got the opportunity in Houston and why he hasn't gotten it since?  Was Delaney injured then?

They both actually got over twenty minutes in that Houston game. So don't think injury played into anything. Delaney was one of ten from the floor. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899449

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Thomas said:

They both actually got over twenty minutes in that Houston game. So don't think injury played into anything.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899449

I should have looked at the boxscore again because this is the case of THJ carrying the load in SPITE of Delaney's deficiencies.   While he had 4 assists to 2 turnovers and got 5 rebounds in 25 minutes, not bad for a PG, Bembry and THJ were on the floor with him and he was only 1 for 10, 0 for 3 from 3!  Also, Dunleavy being back will help our team stabilize from off the bench. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was excited about Calderon but he hasn't looked good so far.   He seems a little shaky with pressure which isn't like him.   He isn't getting open for 3s at all.   Maybe he's lost a step or maybe just hasn't adjusted yet.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, macdaddy said:

I was excited about Calderon but he hasn't looked good so far.   He seems a little shaky with pressure which isn't like him.   He isn't getting open for 3s at all.   Maybe he's lost a step or maybe just hasn't adjusted yet.   

Hoping that time practicing with the team, acclimating with teammates and Bud's system can help him.  Unfortunately I do think part of it is that he has lost a step also, why we're still stuck with Delaney :(

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Feel that is really on Bud myself. Bembry has already shown us what we need to see. 

I shouldn't forget about Bembry but I guess I do because Bud forgets that Delaney is an NBA rookie also and Bembry's collegiate experience probably as competitive as Delaney's competition in Europe..

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 6:25 PM, Spud2Nique said:

Bringing the ball up as the main guy for a college team seems a bit less stressful than in the NBA against much quicker dudes.

It's all about "control" you don't have to have the best handles to be a pg. there plenty of play makers that don't have the best handles in NBA.

• Like 1

Again...what would it hurt to give Bembry the back up minutes at PG?  We are getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the backup PG spot as it currently stands.

Schröder already has one of the heaviest workloads on the team, being arguably the only person on the team who is a threat to drive and finish at the rim, while also having to guard elite point guards on a regular basis. 

The Hawks could elect to give rookie DeAndre Bembry a chance at leading the second unit.

As a passer, Bembry has very limited NBA experience, but he spent his college career running “point forward” for the St. Joseph’s Hawks. In his senior year, he led the team in assists per game at 4.5 and assisted on 24 percent of his team’s field goals while he was on the floor.While he may not have elite passing skills, he is fully capable of making all the passes you expect a backup point guard to be able to make.

Bembry’s game only has one real weakness, but unfortunately it is one of the things that a point guard needs to be at least average at to be effective. The skill Bembry lacks is shooting. 

However, regardless of who the Hawks choose to run with, they will not be putting a shooter at the position. Despite being a career 40 percent three-point shooter in Europe, Malcolm Delaney’s shot has not transferred to the NBA. He is shooting only 23 percent from behind the arc in his first NBA season.

Jose Calderon is in a very similar situation. Calderon has long been known as a solid 3-point shooter. In 7 of his 12 NBA seasons, he has shot at least 40 percent from three. While it is great that he used to be a great shooter, he is only hitting 20 percent of his threes during his stint with the Hawks.

Perhaps the greatest argument for giving Bembry a chance is a simple one. What do the Hawks have to lose? They know what they have in Delaney. They know what they have in Calderon. The only unknown in this situation is Bembry.

http://soaringdownsouth.com/2017/03/27/who-should-be-the-atlanta-hawks-backup-point-guard/

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Again...what would it hurt to give Bembry the back up minutes at PG?  We are getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the backup PG spot as it currently stands.

Even in a worst case scenario the plus/minus wouldn't be as dismal by our backup point. Bembry is part of the future anyway so play him because its more than obvious Delaney is not part of a positive future for us.