• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sap says he will look elsewhere after season

JTB

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Well, I have a low opinion of pretty much anything related to the NFL so that doesn't impress me.  All I know is the clown referred to Sap 'voiding' his deal?  And then broke something as "news" when, in reality, it's "what any non-idiot would do in Sap's place".

Uhhh technically voiding is what he will have to do.  I understand the term "void" ruins you NBA fantasy immersion, but the terminology is not incorrect.  

1 minute ago, HawkItus said:

Uhhh technically voiding is what he will have to do.  I understand the term "void" ruins you NBA fantasy immersion, but the terminology is not incorrect.  

Hey, don't get technical with me.

If you can find me a real NBA 'guy' who uses that term to refer to what Sap (or any other NBA free agent) will be doing, I'll let you pick my avatar.  If not, will you let me pick yours? :cool:

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hey, don't get technical with me.

If you can find me a real NBA 'guy' who uses that term to refer to what Sap (or any other NBA free agent) will be doing, I'll let you pick my avatar.  If not, will you let me pick yours? :cool:

I readily admit that it is a term most often used in the NFL reporting of contracts.  Like I stated he needs to work on his NBA reporting.  I just took offense to the insinuation that he is a clown.  He is a quality reporter in the WOJ vein.   If he really does take up NBA reporting I think you will find him to be a welcome asset to the fans.    He tends to get it right and if he doesn't he is not above telling you he was wrong and correcting the error.    

6 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I readily admit that it is a term most often used in the NFL reporting of contracts.  Like I stated he needs to work on his NBA reporting.  I just took offense to the insinuation that he is a clown.  He is a quality reporter in the WOJ vein.   If he really does take up NBA reporting I think you will find him to be a welcome asset to the fans.    He tends to get it right and if he doesn't he is not above telling you he was wrong and correcting the error.    

I hear you.  Perhaps it's my anti-NFL bias that motivated my remark.  In the scope of things wrong with BSPN, he's very low on that list.

Still though ... does this mean I get to pick your avatar?  I mean, since we're being technical.  I think this means I won?

I'm all for resigning Sap reasonably, if he wants to win in Atlanta he'll structure his contract so we can get some flexibility.

If he doesn't come back, we're in that tough "in between" spot.  I think this offseason will be telling on which direction we go.

If we are able to get that "big name" guy (i.e. Butler, George, etc) then it's obvious we want to improve.  If we can't land someone like that and not keep Sap, I think it may be in our best interest to look into at least having an off year or two in order to build back up.

Either way, I want to do what it takes to keep Hardaway Jr.  He has only improved while here and has become less streaky.  He has proven he can take over a game at spurts.  He alone has carried us and made a ton of clutch baskets, something we've lacked since Joe Johnson.  Guys like that are hard to find.  Even if he is on a crummy Hawks team the first year or two of his contract, he could be a big piece for getting us back up in the East again.  Ilyasova would be nice to keep around too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I'm all for resigning Sap reasonably, if he wants to win in Atlanta he'll structure his contract so we can get some flexibility.

If he doesn't come back, we're in that tough "in between" spot.  I think this offseason will be telling on which direction we go.

If we are able to get that "big name" guy (i.e. Butler, George, etc) then it's obvious we want to improve.  If we can't land someone like that and not keep Sap, I think it may be in our best interest to look into at least having an off year or two in order to build back up.

Either way, I want to do what it takes to keep Hardaway Jr.  He has only improved while here and has become less streaky.  He has proven he can take over a game at spurts.  He alone has carried us and made a ton of clutch baskets, something we've lacked since Joe Johnson.  Guys like that are hard to find.  Even if he is on a crummy Hawks team the first year or two of his contract, he could be a big piece for getting us back up in the East again.  Ilyasova would be nice to keep around too.

Beautiful 

5 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

0f7d217f2e261763f28fcf6ea0239489_aww-shu

Must be that new aftershave I've been using.  Oh wait, you mean my post.....

08b3ab2f53a7d844e611bb7e5993c36c_awkward

Love the chic turtle neck and the vertical stripes...makes you look taller :-)

20 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

I want to do what it takes to keep Hardaway Jr.  He has only improved while here and has become less streaky.  He has proven he can take over a game at spurts.  He alone has carried us and made a ton of clutch baskets, something we've lacked since Joe Johnson.  Guys like that are hard to find.  Even if he is on a crummy Hawks team the first year or two of his contract, he could be a big piece for getting us back up in the East again.  Ilyasova would be nice to keep around too.

No matter what happens elsewhere, including with Sap, I hope this is a given. Both Tim and Ersan give us a lot and they give us very different qualities from each other as well, excluding that they can both hit threes. Perimeter shooting has been a horrible problem for us this year but those two have given us a glimmer in the dark. Ersan is at forty five percent from three now and after a horrific start to the season Tim has painfully pulled his up to thirty six percent for the year. Tim is shooting a good bit higher than that the last forty or so games. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/atl/cat/threePointFieldGoalPct

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lurker said:

Who's a real PG today in basketball? Serious question, and don't say cp3.

Most of the younger guys are score first even if they get assists, and that'd be what the Hawks would get in the draft.

unless you want to get Jeff Teague again, and if you did, Bud would nudge him with being aggressive again. 

I'm not talking about the "score first" mentality.  I can live with it if you're good on a consistent basis.  I have a problem with turnover machines who play out of control and who are not good at passing the ball.  Dennis thinks he's Iverson or Isaiah Thomas, and he's not even close.

• Like 1

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Thomas said:

No matter what happens elsewhere, including with Sap, I hope this is a given. Both Tim and Ersan give us a lot and they give us very different qualities from each other as well, excluding that they can both hit threes. Perimeter shooting has been a horrible problem for us this year but those two have given us a glimmer in the dark. Ersan is at forty five percent from three now and after a horrific start to the season Tim has painfully pulled his up to thirty six percent for the year. Tim is shooting a good bit higher than that the last forty or so games. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/atl/cat/threePointFieldGoalPct

Yes.  And that is the key.   We just need more shooters.   I'd love to have Reddick on this team but we could grab a much cheaper Jodie Meeks as a shooter off the bench.  We really need a 3 and D guy at the SF though.  Not sure who will fill that role other than Prince.

Just now, Watchman said:

I'm not talking about the "score first" mentality.  I can live with it if you're good on a consistent basis.  I have a problem with turnover machines who play out of control and who are not good at passing the ball.  Dennis thinks he's Iverson or Isaiah Thomas, and he's not even close.

Honestly I think that's a side effect of having terrible offensive players at the 2 and 3.   Give him a wing to pass to and he'll be fine.   

Just now, macdaddy said:

Yes.  And that is the key.   We just need more shooters.   I'd love to have Reddick on this team but we could grab a much cheaper Jodie Meeks as a shooter off the bench.  We really need a 3 and D guy at the SF though.  Not sure who will fill that role other than Prince.

Prince is offensively challenged it seems.  A young Sefalosha. 

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Honestly I think that's a side effect of having terrible offensive players at the 2 and 3.   Give him a wing to pass to and he'll be fine.   

He couldn't even maintain a dribble the other night.  Even if the wings were good, it does no good when the PG throws a muscle-spasm pass into the crowd or just simply loses the ball...over and over and over again.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Watchman said:

He couldn't even maintain a dribble the other night.  Even if the wings were good, it does no good when the PG throws a muscle-spasm pass into the crowd or just simply loses the ball...over and over and over again.

No doubt but it's not like that game was the norm for him.   He's been solid most of the season with a few exceptions, whereas Baze and Thabo have been exceptionally bad (on offense) most season and solid on occasion.  

All I know is I would hate to resign Millsap for 30+ mil a year but at the same time I would hate to lose him for nothing just like we did with myself and Al. Hopefully we can sign him to a team friendly deal or else I think we will be looking back wishing we got some assets for him instead of letting him walk away for nothing (again). 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JSmooooove said:

All I know is I would hate to resign Millsap for 30+ mil a year but at the same time I would hate to lose him for nothing just like we did with myself and Al. Hopefully we can sign him to a team friendly deal or else I think we will be looking back wishing we got some assets for him instead of letting him walk away for nothing (again). 

I've been going back and forth but i think i'm back on the sign Millsap side.  The guy's game keeps getting better.   Last year he couldn't hit any clutch shots and now he's pretty effective at it.   He's not a party guy and stays in shape.   I'd expect he's going to be a great player for another 3 years easy and we need to keep any great player who wants to play here.