• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would melo entertain this idea....

JTB

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

So... We're all going to sit here and not act like Carmelo isn't still an OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT on the perimeter and underneath the basket?? Just because the franchises he played for failed to put together a championship team doesn't somehow make him some kind of unsuccessful bum. I promise some of you just hate him for no apparent reason.  I can see him playing and producing longer in his career than Lebron. Bring him to the Hawks and watch how the EAST rearranges itself. Lebron would be in the Cavs front-office before the sun rises.

What are we going to do with Melo that will make it so much more effective than what the Knicks and previously the Nuggets tried to do?     

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What are we going to do with Melo that will make it so much more effective than what the Knicks and previously the Nuggets tried to do?     

Bring him in as our 6th man. :biggrin:.

The original post talked about bringing in Melo for a last ditch championship run. Maybe I'm nothing other than a hater but my post was based on Melo's history not my hating anybodies guts. Don't believe his addition equals championship for us.

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

It would ensure that we are the worst team in the league in 2 years.   

That type of disappointment happened to some extent when we brought in Moses and Theus to put us over the top when we were already quite good. Sometimes things work out but chemistry really counts for a lot and that was an example that didn't (though very talented they destroyed our chemistry) and thats what I'm remembering in reference to this thread.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've flipped flopped a few times on Melo but to me at this point it just doesn't pass the smell test.   We have a ball movement offense and are attempting to have a lock down defense.  We have a stationary high rebounding center and a versatile PF.  To me none of those things scream: Melo is the missing piece.   Now Jimmy Butler....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I've flipped flopped a few times on Melo but to me at this point it just doesn't pass the smell test.   We have a ball movement offense and are attempting to have a lock down defense.  We have a stationary high rebounding center and a versatile PF.  To me none of those things scream: Melo is the missing piece.   Now Jimmy Butler....

I hate to be negative I really do but everyone who's a Hawks fan know good and damn well we ain't gettin Jimmy...I wish but I will not give my hopes up.

now melo on the other hand is much easier to acquire as long as he agrees with the team since he has control of any trade involving himself....he's easier to acquire due to his latest reputation around the league and his age in my opinion.

jimmy and Paul George are long shots for the Hawks unfortunately.

• Moderators
Just now, JTB said:

I hate to be negative I really do but everyone who's a Hawks fan know good and damn well we ain't gettin Jimmy...I wish but I will not give my hopes up.

now melo on the other hand is much easier to acquire as long as he agrees with the team since he has control of any trade involving himself....he's easier to acquire due to his latest reputation around the league and his age in my opinion.

jimmy and Paul George are long shots for the Hawks unfortunately.

Huh?   Melo isn't easy to acquire.  He may be the hardest player in the league to acquire since we have to convince the Knicks to like our deal and convince Melo to play here when he has repeatedly refused to be traded anywhere and never once mentioned playing for Atlanta or even ever said anything positive about the team.     

With Butler all we have to do is throw players and picks that the Bulls like and he's ours, for a while, in his prime, on a good deal. 

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Huh?   Melo isn't easy to acquire.  He may be the hardest player in the league to acquire since we have to convince the Knicks to like our deal and convince Melo to play here when he has repeatedly refused to be traded anywhere and never once mentioned playing for Atlanta or even ever said anything positive about the team.     

With Butler all we have to do is throw players and picks that the Bulls like and he's ours, for a while, in his prime, on a good deal. 

Agreed. Going after Melo this offseason is dumb. Butler or George is who we need to target.

Also, this is why I'm not a Melo fan. Why does he insist on staying in NY when he's supposedly a competitor that wants to win a ring? I honestly think he is content with just playing out his last days in New York and never winning anything.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

The original post talked about bringing in Melo for a last ditch championship run. Maybe I'm nothing other than a hater but my post was based on Melo's history not my hating anybodies guts. Don't believe his addition equals championship for us.

Exactly a ditch championship run is where I was going....his addition may not be a championship run it's just an effort type of move, kinda just high risk possible high reward type of move.

13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm under the impression that the Knicks are going to start over with portzingus after yet another losing season and Melos role recently being reduced...I don't believe it's going to take much of anything to get phil to accept a deal for melo. They have a new franchise player to build around. Melo is just eating up cap for them as well as Rose but he comes off the books this summer.

to me melo is the one you have to convince which is why I titled the thread "would melo entertain this idea...." . Melo don't have many options and though the most recent thing he said about the Hawks was negative, he may take a serious look at the Hawks if the right pieces are in place. Furthermore I believe bud, Sap, Howard can be much influence to reel him to Atlanta if that's the off season plan....again melo is older now and latest NBA reputation isn't a good one right now. Same thing with Howard last summer.

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Exactly a ditch championship run is where I was going....his addition may not be a championship run it's just an effort type of move, kinda just high risk possible high reward type of move.

I'm under the impression that the Knicks are going to start over with portzingus after yet another losing season and Melos role recently being reduced...I don't believe it's going to take much of anything to get phil to accept a deal for melo. They have a new franchise player to build around. Melo is just eating up cap for them as well as Rose but he comes off the books this summer.

to me melo is the one you have to convince which is why I titled the thread "would melo entertain this idea...." . Melo don't have many options and though the most recent thing he said about the Hawks was negative, he may take a serious look at the Hawks if the right pieces are in place. Furthermore I believe bud, Sap, Howard can be much influence to reel him to Atlanta if that's the off season plan....again melo is older now and latest NBA reputation isn't a good one right now. Same thing with Howard last summer.

If you were putting a deal together to offer the Knicks who would you include in the deal? I'm guessing draft picks, Baze and other players. 

LAC was offering at least two of JJ Reddick (FA), Jamal Crawford (Knicks didn't like age and contract) , Austin Rivers (Knicks liked him) to make salaries work  and 2018 1st (I think).

37 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

If you were putting a deal together to offer the Knicks who would you include in the deal? I'm guessing draft picks, Baze and other players. 

@JayBirdHawk pretty much answered this. Knicks want a younger player and a draft pick. Fair enough! Give them Baze (may have to throw in another player) + a draft pick. I think Baze contract isn't as bad under the new cap, plus he will be only 28.

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

LAC was offering at least two of JJ Reddick (FA), Jamal Crawford (Knicks didn't like age and contract) , Austin Rivers (Knicks liked him) to make salaries work  and 2018 1st (I think).

Knicks are just trying to get rid of melo and get a somewhat talented player back and maybe a draft pick...that's Baze straight up and one of our draft picks. This is why I believe it's easier to get melo than butler or George...the only problem is melo would have to want to play with millsap and Howard and that's the part where he may say yes or no since it would literally be his last significant chance at a ring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Knicks are just trying to get rid of melo and get a somewhat talented player back and maybe a draft pick...that's Baze straight up and one of our draft picks. This is why I believe it's easier to get melo than butler or George...the only problem is melo would have to want to play with millsap and Howard and that's the part where he may say yes or no since it would literally be his last significant chance at a ring.

Very good point and of course that scenario has worked before in other situations for teams, just not readily expected here with someone who really seems to want to be a political figure of sorts as opposed to a grind it out no matter what champion. If he becomes a Hawk we will pull for him, just some of us with measured expectations which I don't think will be allowed so readily by the media. No, not even referring to the AJC but they will be unavoidable in derogatory opinions no doubt. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Very good point and of course that scenario has worked before in other situations for teams, just not readily expected here with someone who really seems to want to be a political figure of sorts as opposed to a grind it out no matter what champion. If he becomes a Hawk we will pull for him, just some of us with measured expectations which I don't think will be allowed so readily by the media. No, not even referring to the AJC but they will be unavoidable in derogatory opinions no doubt. 

Cant argue you with you there but I will still gladly take a Melo, Sap, Howard front court if it was a real possibility.....especially over whats probably going to happen in real life this off season! LMAO

we will probably make very minor moves this year like most years and just "stay the course" (whatever the hell that means to budcox & staff!) LOL

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JTB said:

we will probably make very minor moves this year like most years and just "stay the course" (whatever the hell that means to budcox & staff!) LOL

My parents used to tell me they went to the matinee movies to watch the news. The more things change...

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 11:42 PM, hawkman said:

..and we see how that worked out. The Hawks should know better than to trust the 'market' after they were pressured into giving Baze his deal when the likes of Crabbe and Evan Turner got those moronic contracts. I love Sap's mentality and his game but we can't keep repeating the same mistakes out of desperation and expect different results. Investing super max dollars in Sap when we know he's had problems with both knees at age 32 is a HUGE risk. But if we do re-sign Sap for some insane $$$, then Baze absolutely has to go.

I don't think you read what I wrote right. Millsap will get 4 year offers. He would not entertain coming back here on a 2 yr deal when he can lock up long term security at his age. Whether that's with us or not is besides the point. 

On 3/30/2017 at 4:46 PM, JTB said:

I have a great grasp of how free agency works. I didn't do any numbers just throwing the idea out there.

2 or 3 year no one is signing Sap to a max deal past 3 years I'm sure of that.

That's not true.  As much as NBA teams talk about flexibility and building for the future, they also want to be in the playoffs or at championship level right now.  And if they get a chance to add a quality player, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

As long as there are no lingering effects from Millsap's recent knee injury, he's going to get PAID via a 4 year - 150 mill+ deal.   Millsap would be doing him and his family a disservice, if he took a 2 year - 80 mill deal from Atlanta, when he can get double that somewhere else.

Teams like Toronto, Washington, Portland and Houston, who need a very good frontcourt player to add with their All-Star guards, would max out Millsap.  And lottery teams itching to make the playoffs, like Denver, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago .  . and the New York Knicks . . may do the same.

19 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Baze and Ersan would have to be the 2 feature guys, along with those draft picks.   As much as I like Ersan, he might be the one piece that could entice the Knicks to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

Of course, Hawks fans would overvalue Ersan, and refuse to let him go . . even for an All-Star caliber player.

• Like 2