• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would melo entertain this idea....

JTB

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Baze and Ersan would have to be the 2 feature guys, along with those draft picks.   As much as I like Ersan, he might be the one piece that could entice the Knicks to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

Of course, Hawks fans would overvalue Ersan, and refuse to let him go . . even for an All-Star caliber player.

I like what Ersan brings to the table as well but I think he's expendable if the right deal comes along. I have no problem including him and Baze but I just simply don't want to trade our 2017 first round pick. I wonder if that's a deal breaker. It probably would be as you need to trade quality to get quality back. Therein lies the problem.

19 hours ago, JTB said:

Exactly a ditch championship run is where I was going....his addition may not be a championship run it's just an effort type of move, kinda just high risk possible high reward type of move.

I'm under the impression that the Knicks are going to start over with portzingus after yet another losing season and Melos role recently being reduced...I don't believe it's going to take much of anything to get phil to accept a deal for melo. They have a new franchise player to build around. Melo is just eating up cap for them as well as Rose but he comes off the books this summer.

to me melo is the one you have to convince which is why I titled the thread "would melo entertain this idea...." . Melo don't have many options and though the most recent thing he said about the Hawks was negative, he may take a serious look at the Hawks if the right pieces are in place. Furthermore I believe bud, Sap, Howard can be much influence to reel him to Atlanta if that's the off season plan....again melo is older now and latest NBA reputation isn't a good one right now. Same thing with Howard last summer.

The question is . . . does LaLa ( Melo's wife ) trust him to be in Atlanta, with all of the sharks in this city?  And I'm not talking about ocean sharks.  I'm talking about the type of sharks that smell like flowers, look like models, and have 42 inch booties.

• Like 3

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The question is . . . does LaLa ( Melo's wife ) trust him to be in Atlanta, with all of the sharks in this city?  And I'm not talking about ocean sharks.  I'm talking about the type of sharks that smell like flowers, look like models, and have 42 inch booties.

I don't know about Lala or Melo but you got me looking at southwest for flights to the ATL. Lol.

22 hours ago, macdaddy said:

What are we going to do with Melo that will make it so much more effective than what the Knicks and previously the Nuggets tried to do?     

Well the Nuggets did get to an WC Final with Melo, once they added Billups to the mix.  And the Knicks won 54 games when Woody became the coach, but took the bait when he struggled the next year and got a chance to add Phil Jackson in a managerial role.

But go look at those Melo teams that lost in the 1st round of the playoffs all those years, or his recent Knicks teams.  Those teams weren't talented.  And most star players need multiple guys on the team who can ball, in order to win.

Despite their age, a Melo, Millsap, Howard frontcourt would be ideal.   It would also give us an opportunity to play Melo with the bench, in order to give them a go-to scorer in the half court.

Dennis - Hardaway Jr - Melo - Millsap - Howard . . . I'd take that as a starting lineup

Dennis - Hardaway Jr - Prince - Melo - Millsap . . . I'd take that as a small ball / shooting lineup . . possibly to close games

New PG - Bembry - Prince - Melo - Humphries . . . I'd take that as a bench group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Well the Nuggets did get to an WC Final with Melo, once they added Billups to the mix.  And the Knicks won 54 games when Woody became the coach, but took the bait when he struggled the next year and got a chance to add Phil Jackson in a managerial role.

But go look at those Melo teams that lost in the 1st round of the playoffs all those years, or his recent Knicks teams.  Those teams weren't talented.  And most star players need multiple guys on the team who can ball, in order to win.

Despite their age, a Melo, Millsap, Howard frontcourt would be ideal.   It would also give us an opportunity to play Melo with the bench, in order to give them a go-to scorer in the half court.

Dennis - Hardaway Jr - Melo - Millsap - Howard . . . I'd take that as a starting lineup

Dennis - Hardaway Jr - Prince - Melo - Millsap . . . I'd take that as a small ball / shooting lineup . . possibly to close games

New PG - Bembry - Prince - Melo - Humphries . . . I'd take that as a bench group.

Yeah id take those lineups all day over what's going to probably really happen this off season.

would melo go for a lineuo with himself, millsap, Howard I wonder?....I honestly don't see many teams willing to trade for him this off season. Some are saying he will go to the Clippers and they are probably our only threat .

14 minutes ago, JTB said:

Yeah id take those lineups all day over what's going to probably really happen this off season.

would melo go for a lineuo with himself, millsap, Howard I wonder?....I honestly don't see many teams willing to trade for him this off season. Some are saying he will go to the Clippers and they are probably our only threat .

Ya I'm guessing the Clippers, Heat or Cavs most likely but we have a shot at him if he wants to come here. 

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ya I'm guessing the Clippers, Heat or Cavs most likely but we have a shot at him if he wants to come here. 

Cavs? Maybe ....seem like they could have got him this past deadline but looks like they aren't really interested in him.

but lebrons the GM when he wants to be so you're right...we can't count out the cavs.

heat may have a shot but I don't believe they are a threat to the Hawks for his services.

Edited by JTB

Believe it or not this is a comment not leaning either way, just saying that a starting lineup of Dennis=17, Tim=15, Melo=27, Sap=30 or more and Dwight=23 is at or possibly north of 112 million next year. Our starting five. I could be very wrong but think the luxury was recently reduced from 127 to 122 moving into next year. Someone will surely correct me if wrong but its not just exceeding the cap but also being able to pull it off like you know who up in Ohio. Even Pat Riley from the nineties would be nervous with this. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/1/2017 at 10:16 AM, Spud2Nique said:

I like what Ersan brings to the table as well but I think he's expendable if the right deal comes along. I have no problem including him and Baze but I just simply don't want to trade our 2017 first round pick. I wonder if that's a deal breaker. It probably would be as you need to trade quality to get quality back. Therein lies the problem.

Isn't Ersan an expiring contract meaning that he is not tradeable in any real way for us in a multiplayer deal?

I'd happily accept a deal of Melo for a first and Baze but I have a hard time seeing NY saying "yes" to that.  I would definitely pursue it if I were Budcox, though, given that Phil is a management moron and seems to want Melo gone badly.  Offer Lala a guest role on Walking Dead or a role on Housewives of Atlanta or something to entice her to bless it and have Howard and Sap tell Melo how he can win a ring and how this city is an investment hub for African-Americans and he can be the star on and off the court.

Do I think that is a recipe for beating the Cavs?  Probably not but it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than simply resigning Sap and adding another pick that Bud will bench for the season ala Bembry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Isn't Ersan an expiring contract meaning that he is not tradeable in any real way for us in a multiplayer deal?

You are correct he's an unrestricted free agent. I guess I wouldn't mind Melo but again I'm really looking to hold onto that first rounder this year and even if Bud sits the rook in 2017/18 he might still turn out valuable for us as this draft is pretty good.

Wouldn't mind getting Melo if it meant getting from under the Bazemore contract. Not sure if Melo would come to the ATL though. Sounds like a clipper to me.