Will Joe Johnson Get Into the Basketball Hall of Fame?

Most people would say NO, but consider this.   There have only been 43 players in NBA history that have scored 20,000 points in their NBA career.  33 of those guys are in the Hall of Fame.   7 other active players, plus JJ, have done it.  

- Lebron

- Dirk

- Paul Pierce

- Pau Gasol

- Vince Carter

- Dwyane Wade

- Carmelo Anthony

The above players have all scored over 24,000 points and are virtual locks to be Hall of Famers.   Why?  Because the 33 previous players that have scored at least 24,000 points, are in the Hall.  I see no reason why the above 7 players won't get in either.  5 of them have NBA Titles on their resume.  The other 2 may be two of the most exciting ( Vince Carter ) and prolific scorers ( Carmelo Anthony ) of all time.

The only 2 players who have scored at least 20,000, but are not in the Hall of Fame?

- Antwan Jamison

- Tom Chambers

Right now, Joe Johnson ( points wise ) is in that bottom tier with Chambers and Jamison, with 20,033 regular season points.  And like those 2, neither has a championship to put on their resume.  And he's never been considered to be a top 15 player.

But the one thing that may get him in, is his ability to perform in the clutch.

In the past 10 years, no one has made more game winning shots ( 8 ) at the buzzer than JJ.   And that's not including game tying clutch shots or shots made to put the team up in the last 20 seconds of the game.

What may get JJ in, is the reputation that he will be known as one of the most clutch players in NBA history, and not all of his NBA accolades.

But the 20,000 mark is an important milestone for a Hall of Fame player.

• Like 2

Since his game is not based on athleticism and he has a role that doesn't require a ton of minutes seems he could play for a good while longer really, adding to his points total. At third five he played in seventy eight games this regular season. 

• Like 1

It's a fascinating study.  The Reference is my Bible, they say he has a .5056 chance, in a percentage range all by himself (Love just below him at .42, then the active group skies to Harden, locking himself in after this year at .92). 

Last I remember, maybe 2 years ago, his total stat profile will be most similar to Paul Pierce with likely a lot more assists.  Voters will look at the sheets and tilt towards "yay."  Looking at Intangibles and commentary from peers and media, they'd probably lean "nay."  When I think Joe the first name that comes to mind is Mitch Richmond.  I didn't think he deserved to get in, nor Chris Mullin, another comparable player.  With Webber not getting in on the first ballot I don't know what to predict.

I had nuff arguments on this board over Joe but never questioned his beautiful skill set and prototypical body type.  If he gets in on a late ballot I'd be happy for him.  I've long forgiven him for not endearing himself to Atlanta fans: Joe don't care about nothing but Arkansas, counting dough, and getting buckets, how can I knock that.  He and his agent mapped out his career like mob bosses.

I'll never forget back in the day a chick told me her friend who danced for the Hawks told her she got herpes from Joe and was blackmailing him.  I was like "girl shut up."

Another HOF resume building performance tonight.   No Gordon Hayward.  Clippers up 7 with Jamal Crawford cooking.   And the old man steps up AGAIN.

28 points. 5 rebounds.  5 assists.   

Straight ISO in the 4th quarter ( giving the middle finger to "ball movement" ).   Made ALL of the right plays.  Scored 11 straight points.  Then dished 3 assists for another 9 points, when the Clippers tried to double him.   He was literally responsible for 22 of the Jazz' last 26 points in the game.  And all in a span of about 7 minutes.   Just took the life out of the Clips.

Incredible performance by Old Man Joe.

• Like 3

Glad he is aging so well. Would not have predicted that type of performance and also that many minutes at this stage. Been averaging over thirty minutes in these playoffs though, compared to a lot less in the regular season. Impressive post season.

• Like 1

He is killing shit.  By not starting but being the closer, he's exploiting matchups all over the place.  F&@k a Hakeem, Dwight need to pay Joe for some post lessons.  Probably charge twice as much as The Dream but hey.  

It's no coincidence he's playing this well under Quinn, arguably the best all-around coach he's had for a full-season.

The harder he goes this postseason, the more he'll ingratiate himself to HOF voters with a fresh memory of how good he is.  Seeing him and Jamal go ham at 35 and 37 respectively is pretty damn dope.

6 hours ago, Dnice said:

Classic.  Ironically I've seen less of this face and more smiles and snarls on his mug this postseason than I've seen his whole career.  

This is the role I think he's wanted his whole life.  He can concentrate solely on scoring without having to be the top dog, lead facilitator, or defend the best wing and still contend.

On 4/24/2017 at 4:51 PM, benhillboy said:

This is the role I think he's wanted his whole life.  He can concentrate solely on scoring without having to be the top dog, lead facilitator, or defend the best wing and still contend.

Yeah but... he did sign that 123.7 million dollar contract which requires more from the signee. Still like the guy a lot and all but that is what we ponied up for, a number one option to carry us on to a championship series. Happy though that he still matters a lot at the mature NBA age of thirty five and is with a playoff team.

http://thebrooklyngame.com/joe-johnson-contract-breakdown-brooklyn-nets/

I would've loved to have had JJ here when Bud got a firm hold of this team. I still have fond memories of him putting the entire franchise on his back in the closing minutes of that Game 4 against Boston's Big 3.

Will he get into the Hall? IDK, he's been to All-Star Games, led his teams in scoring on numerous occasions, and didn't try to kill Osh when he would chuck up a 22-footer with 15 on the shot clock, which to me warrants sainthood. A lot of folks in the national media nowadays require guys not only to be great players to be considered (his career PER is lower than Jamison's and Chambers') but also for them to have won a title as well. And while he's well known for his clutch moments, the national folks aren't going to think of them nearly as much unless they occurred deep into May or June...

He's making a damn good case in these playoffs.  Doc said Mbah-Moute was his best perimeter defender.  Sounds like a fried African delicacy the way Joe eating.  

That Jazz squad is solid.  Quinn trying to reproduce what we had in the 60 win season but with a whole lot more size and toughness, notably at 1 and 5.  I never cared for George Hill but I'm loving his game now.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1