• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free agents by teams for Hawks

3 hours ago, CP61 said:

I definitely disagree. I think Vuc is a great fit with Bud and has half the salary of Dwight. I think that the swap would not only make the Hawks better because Vuc is here, but we could also spend another 10 million in free agency. Also, here are their shot charts. Vuc has more of a midrange and long range game. I think he could be Horford-esque with Budball.

IMG_9072.PNG

IMG_9073.PNG

That's fair and I accept your data and correction.

See if you can counter my next objection.  Dude can't guard a push broom.  Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Kudos to Spud for driving a great discussion thread here with his writeups on every team.  Great thread to catch up on today.

indeed-well-played-sir-thumb.jpg

Thanks. It's no lw3 treatment but it's something :-)

36 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That's fair and I accept your data and correction.

See if you can counter my next objection.  Dude can't guard a push broom.  Thoughts? 

Fair point. https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-nikola-vucevic-defense-1206-20161205-story,amp.html

i found a bunch of articles like this one this year that said he was getting better.

11 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Fair point. https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-nikola-vucevic-defense-1206-20161205-story,amp.html

i found a bunch of articles like this one this year that said he was getting better.

Oh and he was 23rd in the league in defensive rating and number one on the Magic that played more than 2 games. Now Dwight was 5th but 23rd isn't terrible. It's above average for a center for sure. 

On 5/22/2017 at 10:05 AM, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Ron baker-he's like a better younger version of Korver

He shot .267 from 3 in 17 minutes as a rookie.  Kyle shot .391 in 12.  How do you  compare them besides the awful hair?

The White Greg Monroe.  Ha.  I've always been a proponent of Vucevic, even when we had Al.  But I'm always defense-first so if he's never a Hawk I won't cry.

I just can't picture Rudy Gay passing the ball.  Has he ever?

Always liked Collison but he's the same size as Dennis ain't he?  Hell naw.

Tyreke is the poster child for no position-having tweeners who can't help you.  He done played 3 poorly. 

I haven't seen enough of McKelmore but that boy advanced numbers look nasty.  I gotta go wash up.

A lot of people hate him but I could see Bud helping Jeff Green to an OKC-like resurgence.  He's inconsistent sure, but his size and athleticism at the 3 can't be denied.

Dont know too much of Galloway except his face was seemingly made for punching:

IMG_6028.JPG

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sometimes...he surprises us with a little knowledge.

Thoughtful and thorough thread focused on topic, dropping knowledge and using almost exclusively restrained and informative images...I'm surprised his account wasn't hacked.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 10:05 AM, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Well since it's been updated I'd take

Shabazz-nice energy player to have as a 7th man

Rush-nice vet to add like a James Jones 

Yes to all of OKC's FAs aside from collison- I've always liked their pieces 

Ron baker-he's like a better younger version of Korver

Derrick Rose-Feel like he'd be a nice addition as long as it's for the right price and he accepts his backup role. 

Ron Baker looks like every player that played before 1960.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

Thoughtful and thorough thread focused on topic, dropping knowledge and using almost exclusively restrained and informative images...I'm surprised his account wasn't hacked.

I have my good days :-)...in this case, two weeks! Lol.

19 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I have my good days :-)...in this case, two weeks! Lol.

Savour it Spud, savour it. Might never happen again.

The Spurs are up next fresh off a 4 game sweep handed to them by the Warriors. Would have been much more interesting to see Kawhi play more than just a part of game 1. This is a team that never rebuilds, only retools. 

Their only restricted free free agent is Jonathan Simmons. I noticed him in the summer league a few years back and he has only gotten better. Is it being in the Spurs system? Is it being around Kawhi? I would definitely be in favor of a guy like Simmons as he's got a nice all around game, can score inside and out, much improved confidence, and he's a young guy entering the prime of his career. If we are to make a play for a restricted free agent, I'm a Simmons fan.

The unrestricted guys start out with Joel Anthony. Great contributor on the Miami teams of the past but I think the window is closing on him quickly. Easy pass for me.

Dwayne Dedmon is an interesting big guy who doesn't mind banging on the paint and setting some nice solid screens. I like his offense rebounding as well. Not a horrible guy to have off the bench. Depending on the price, I'd take a look here.

Paul Gasol is next and I'm guessing he signs a 1 or 2 year deal to remain with the Spurs. I don't think he's even going to be an option for more than two or three teams, most likely he stays.

Manu Ginobili is a hall of famer and again a guy that will wear one jersey his entire career. Hoping that we are grooming our own Manu in Isaia Cordinier overseas.

David Lee is next. I like his rebounding skills and low post activity. He plays hard. I don't love his defense. If we remain a veteran team I can see him as a backup to Sap, although I'm hoping we can do better.

The last guy is Patty Mills. It's tough to gage if he will remain on the Spurs. I feel as though another team is going to throw some money at him and he will end up leaving San Antonio. All I know is that they have 3 point guards in Parker, Mills and Murray and based on the way Murray performs, Mills could be a goner. Do we want him? I would say yes but only at the right price. I think backup point guards are pretty important and he would be an ideal one behind Dennis. Bud is very familiar with him from the past as well so he would know the system for the most part I'm assuming. I don't think Delaney will be our backup and I think no way Jose Calderon won't be a Hawk next season. 

Thoughts on the Spurs?

IMG_0028.PNG

For the next team we go to Toronto. The Raptors seem to be mirroring our success, a pretty good team but not good enough to go all the way. They are in need of a facelift even if it's a minor one. They also have four pretty key free agents to decide the path they will take into the future.

They have no restricted free agents.

We begin the unrestricted free agent list with Sargent Serge Ibaka. A skilled 4 man with good size and a nice outside shot for the new regime NBA known as the stretch 4. Will he get paid? Yes. Do we want to pay him? I would personally say no unless we lost Sap and completely restructured our team but somehow kept it a veteran team. That's a lot of IF's. Honestly, I think if we are going to remain a vet team, we sign Sap. Again I'm gonna say no here but @JTB wanted to be notified and he's going to let you know why Ibaka is a "perfect" fit for us. Hit us with the Ibaka knowledge JTB!!! :-)

Next up, Kyle Lowry. He reminds me of Oprah, in that he keeps fluctuating in weight. He comes out fat, then gets super in shape, then gets fat again and slunk right out of the playoffs. When he's on, he's got a great game. I just don't think I could ever trust him with my franchise or I guess in our particular situation. No for me.

Power forward Patrick Patterson is up next. From the time he was in Houston until now he keeps showing you flashes of what he can do, specially on offense. He's another one of your modern day stretch 4's and a very good capable guy off the bench. Sometimes I question his defense but you gotta take some offensive firepower off the bench. Sometimes I think this guy can be more of a Ryan Anderson or a poor man's Kevin Love but he needs to stay more consistent. Having said that I'd definitely take a flyer on him as Bud would love his outside stroke and he'd be a nice piece as a backup to Sap or even play some spot minutes at center if we go with a super small lineup. A yes for me at the right price. Our resident in our Kentucky guy @AHF knows more about him I'm sure.

Last guy on the list is PJ Tucker. I like this guy a lot, but to be honest with you I liked him more in Phoenix. Lol. Maybe a system thing or maybe the Raptors just had more go to guys. He did show up with 2 double doubles in 4 games against the Cavs. He's a glue guy and every team needs one. We had one in Thabo, perhaps at the right price, he joins us this summer. Also, if I'm not mistaken we were one of four or five teams rumored to be going after him during last trade deadline so you would have to think the interest is there from our end. 

IMG_0029.PNG

IMG_0037.GIF

On the Spurs:

No to Simmons. I think he gets paid a little too much for a guy that has problems shooting. Also, I am always skeptical of taking players that perform well on a team like the Spurs because their play probably had a lot to do with the system and coaching. Plus Bembry and Simmons are pretty similar (granted Simmons is better right now, but we don't need both).

I would like Patty Mills as he would be a good vet to backup Dennis and push him. Plus we could really use his three point shooting. That said, I don't think we will be able to afford to pay him what he will command to be our backup.

Gasol - no and it is likely that he takes that player option and isn't a free agent. Dedmon not a bad option as a backup and someone I would pay attention to.

On the Raptors:

Ibaka - actually think he would be a decent fit next to Howard, but man would we miss Millsap's playmaking. Only way Ibaka is an option is if we lose Sap obviously, and if that is the case I would rather retool a bit without giving large contracts to players like Ibaka.

Patterson - Would rather have Muscala, but would be ok with him as a backup and at a reasonable price.

No to Lowry and Tucker.

Edited by Bankingitbig

Patty is a hell yes from me. I said last offseason we should've made a deal with the Spurs on draft night to get him over here after they selected Murray... however I'm not mad at the Cordinier pick I really would love him backing up dennis. 

Tucker is also a yes from me because he's a scrappy wing defender that could replace Thabo. Either way tho both of these guys need to be at the RIGHT PRICE! 

On a side note however a name that's been thrown around in hawks twitter now that he is technically available is Chris bosh.... What are the thoughts on Dino-Man potentially being brought in to replace Sap? For me it's a definite no because I'd rather pay a guy like Green From Memphis 15mil to come start and join our young core rather than pay someone like Sap or Bosh (who hasn't played in 2 years) somewhere north of 20mil.... that's just me. But a lot of Hawks twitter is on board with the idea. 

What did y'all see from Green (MEM) that told y'all he was starter-material, much less worthy of a $15+mil/year deal?

I know he "started" in MEM but that was more due to default and age than anything as far as I could see.  He's a guy you draft and see if he develops, he's not a guy you overpay to pull from MEM.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What did y'all see from Green (MEM) that told y'all he was starter-material, much less worthy of a $15+mil/year deal?

I know he "started" in MEM but that was more due to default and age than anything as far as I could see.  He's a guy you draft and see if he develops, he's not a guy you overpay to pull from MEM.

I like him because he brings that toughness element into this team more than what Dwight did when he arrived. Plus coming from Memphis you know he'll be active on the defensive end. Plus he fits the mold somewhat of what sap was.... he's just younger and more raw. However with the development team we got here I firmly believe we could turn him into at the least a 15-7 type guy.... I feel the same for Vucevic.... I honestly believe if he's in a hawks uniform he's more than likely an all star caliber center under coach bud and the staff. All things considered I really would love to see a lineup like what I'm saying of...

Schröder

THJ

Prince

Green

Vucevic

6th-Mills

Bembry

Ilyasova

Delaney

Meeks

Tucker

Humph

Preferably keep Dwight as a backup.... but if not sign a guy like Dedmon or Tavares again... 

Patty Mills would be great for us but don't see any way in hell Pop lets him ever leave San Antonio. Who knows whats gonna be the level of play of Tony now after a serious injury at the age of thirty five and a very young Murray is their only other option at the moment.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Patty Mills would be great for us but don't see any way in hell Pop lets him ever leave San Antonio. Who knows whats gonna be the level of play of Tony now after a serious injury at the age of thirty five and a very young Murray is their only other option at the moment.

Well they have been linked to the following PGs so I'm sure they'll be ok....

CP3

Holiday

Rose

Lowry

Galloway

14 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Well they have been linked to the following PGs so I'm sure they'll be ok....

CP3

Holiday

Rose

Lowry

Galloway

Galloway????