• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks to interview Warriors Exec for GM

GrimeyKidd

• Moderators
On 5/20/2017 at 1:01 PM, sturt said:

My sources from inside Oracle Arena tell me this is the guy primarily responsible for finding and acquiring Kent Bazemore.

Or wait. Maybe they said he was the guy primarily responsible for letting Kent Bazemore go.

Or wait. Maybe both.

I'll have to re-check and get back to you.

;)

More importantly, he isn't the guy who thought paying Baze $18M/year on a longterm deal was a good idea.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

More importantly, he isn't the guy who thought paying Baze $18M/year on a longterm deal was a good idea.

Maybe. We don't actually know that, of course, nor would he probably own up to it in an interview if he did. :)

But you do cause me to think. Before I was just myopic on the trade deadline decisions as having driven the decision to overhaul the decision-making structure, but it may be true that that free agency decision is what, in hindsight, tipped the scale.

On 5/21/2017 at 9:15 AM, Thomas said:

Like I've said a few times before, your really pretty scary cat.

He thinks I'm evil now.  Wait'll he sees where I left the bodies ...

Herman Cain Smile

For legal purposes ... I'm just kidding ...

22 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

a-cat-lover.jpg

Cute portrait, Dolf but I don't see what you and your "girlfriend" have to do with this conversation.

Marc Stein has previously reported that Wizards vice president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard and Warriors assistant GM Travis Schlenk have both been interviewed by the Hawks for the vice president of basketball operations job, meaning that if Billups is successful, it’ll be a wise move pairing some NBA front office veterans with an inexperienced GM.

It’s a busy time for whoever gets the job. Heading into Free Agency, the number one priority is what the Hawks will do when Paul Millsap hits the market, along with Tim Hardaway Jr and a potential Dwight Howard trade.

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

potential Dwight Howard trade.

Lol okaaaayyyyyy....they decided to throw in the last statement...

I have no idea if this was already posted but, let's be honest, half of y'all are either drunk or high so you wouldn't remember anyways ....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19440151/orlando-magic-hire-jeff-weltman-president-basketball-operations

And since the half that's not drunk/high probably can't focus long enough to sift through to the Hawk-related stuff, here ....

The Cavs have also denied permission to the Atlanta Hawks for Griffin to interview for their open general manager position, sources said. Griffin, whose contract expires at the end of July, has recently held talks with Cavs owner Dan Gilbert about his future with the team but nothing had been agreed to as of Monday afternoon, sources said.

The Hawks interviewed Chauncey Billups for their GM job on Monday and have received permission to interview Travis Schlenk of the Golden State Warriors, ESPN has reported. Washington Wizards executive Tommie Sheppard has also interviewed.

You're welcome, b*tches.

From what I've read, seems Griffin is potentially looking to get out because Gilbert devalues the GM position and doesn't pay a market rate.  That makes his apparent looking around make more sense.  Knowing he cheaps-out on the GM, it's pretty bush for Gilbert to forbid the guy from looking around.  Perhaps he prefers they wait til after the season, which I can understand.  However, if that's the case, why not simply state that?

Not sure I'm enamored with Sheppard.  Been around a loooong time with no real results that stand out at all.  WAS has been pretty poor during his tenure so ... I'm kinda meh.

The Wizards have one of the worse front offices in the league. Can't say I like the idea of anybody from that organization leading this team. 

Schlenk and Weaver are the only names I really like so far.  

• Premium Member

Broken record here...

How does anyone actually know anything specifically substantive about any one candidate other than Billups (or, anyone else who's actually received significant media face time)... ?

The most we actually have for those w/o media face time is (a) perception of how a given overall front office operation has succeeded (or not), ie, as-if any Asst GM is a clone of his/her boss... and... (b) a public recommendation by Jerry West.

Of those two, only the second one actually carries some weight, but even that one is just one, and maybe that particular guy hit it off personality-wise with West and/or he's a kiss-up.

Futile though it may be, just hoping the vast majority will appreciate the limits to which any of our opinions can possibly be well-informed from the distance and perspective that we have. Ultimately, what choice do we have but to trust Ressler's judgment. But I do. For now, anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I have no idea if this was already posted but, let's be honest, half of y'all are either drunk or high so you wouldn't remember anyways ....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19440151/orlando-magic-hire-jeff-weltman-president-basketball-operations

And since the half that's not drunk/high probably can't focus long enough to sift through to the Hawk-related stuff, here ....

You're welcome, b*tches.

From what I've read, seems Griffin is potentially looking to get out because Gilbert devalues the GM position and doesn't pay a market rate.  That makes his apparent looking around make more sense.  Knowing he cheaps-out on the GM, it's pretty bush for Gilbert to forbid the guy from looking around.  Perhaps he prefers they wait til after the season, which I can understand.  However, if that's the case, why not simply state that?

Not sure I'm enamored with Sheppard.  Been around a loooong time with no real results that stand out at all.  WAS has been pretty poor during his tenure so ... I'm kinda meh.

Gilbert can afford to do that since LBJ is the real GM.

I was thinking maybe we could give Jonas Jerebko a shot at our GM position. I realize that he's still playing but maybe he could be our player/GM..He has a game plan to shut down Lebron! (The previous is all in green font PUN INTENDED SHMELTS)...

https://www.google.com/amp/us.blastingnews.com/sports/2017/05/jonas-jerebko-says-the-celtics-have-a-gameplan-to-shut-down-lebron-in-game-4-001720381.amp.html

18 minutes ago, sturt said:

Broken record here...

How does anyone actually know anything specifically substantive about any one candidate other than Billups (or, anyone else who's actually received significant media face time)... ?

The most we actually have for those w/o media face time is (a) perception of how a given overall front office operation has succeeded (or not), ie, as-if any Asst GM is a clone of his/her boss... and... (b) a public recommendation by Jerry West.

Of those two, only the second one actually carries some weight, but even that one is just one, and maybe that particular guy hit it off personality-wise with West and/or he's a kiss-up.

Futile though it may be, just hoping the vast majority will appreciate the limits to which any of our opinions can possibly be well-informed from the distance and perspective that we have. Ultimately, what choice do we have but to trust Ressler's judgment. But I do. For now, anyway.

Agreed, we should just fold up the board.  No reason to discuss topics anymore, amirite?

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Gilbert can afford to do that since LBJ is the real GM.

I hear you, however, reportedly that was the case with Gilbert (the Cavs) even before Lebron really took on that role.

ETA: To elaborate, young Lebron hadn't really exercised his muscles in that area (to the extent that he appears to do so now).

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Agreed, we should just fold up the board.  No reason to discuss topics anymore, amirite?

Re-read.

I asked to "appreciate the limits of our opinions"... not "eliminate our opinions"... ;) ... there's a difference.

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Re-read.

I asked to "appreciate the limits of our opinions"... not "eliminate our opinions"... ;) ... there's a difference.

Nah sturt, I'm giving you the silent treatment now.  You hurt my feewings. :happy:

Anyways, Hawks need to put a call in to John Hammond who's apparently deciding between staying in MIL or leaving to be ORL's GM.

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/235210/john-hammond-expected-to-become-the-new-gm-of-orlando-magic.html

Probably sick o' working with Kidd who's always power-hungry (and probably a little drunk).

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Here we go...

IMG_0041.PNG

This is a WoJo report as well, so you can bet he has heard something concrete on this.  I think of the candidates that have been interviewed, Schlenk and Rosas likely have the best balance of traditional scouting and analytics.