• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The off-season according to Travis Schlenk

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

We need to slow TF down. I have often said that there are coaching 2nd year jumps with teams. Too early to evaluate Quinn, will be too early to evaluate Kirby Smart if Georgia heads to the SECCG later this year.

Slow TF down.

Where did you get your personality from? Wow!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Where did you get your personality from? Wow!

What does this mean?  If it is a shot at her, consider this a warning to knock it off immediately.

If not, then elaborate and carry on.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, AHF said:

What does this mean?  If it is a shot at her, consider this a warning to knock it off immediately.

If not, then elaborate and carry on.

When some comes into a discussion and their 1st words are slow the f*** down...I was just curious as to why she would enter a calm discussion using that terminology.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Bud would be scooped up very quickly if he was dropped by the Hawks.

This maybe true but I think the organization that he goes to would turn into another treadmill team based on what I've seen from him with the Hawks

Arthur's a smart man. We can't really play the transitive property game between the two franchises even considering what I said, because let's begin with he'd never push for Dwight Howard.

I don't think he knows much about basketball but he'd learn. He's new to soccer and helped to do something that was quite cool there. Instead of wanting to target older established stars, he targeted young, rising talent in soccer.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, NBASupes said:

You are Travis Schlenk. Predict the off-season. The winner gets nothing but being the winner. +1 for each roster spot you get right. Ready start. 

You are Travis Schlenk.

On the eve of free agency and now that the draft is over, I decided to quickly put in my predictions. I am assuming a salary cap of $99,000,000.

Guaranteed contracts heading into free agency. If we renounce all cap holds, then we would have $37m in cap room.

• Bazemore $16,910,113
  • Schröder $15,500,000
  • Plumlee $12,500,000
  • Belinelli $6,606,060
  • Delaney $2,500,000
  • Prince $2,422,560
  • Collins $1,936,920
  • Bembry $1,567,200
  • Dunleavy's partial contract $1,662,500 (could stretch this, but I don't see the point)

Free agency

1. Let Millsap walk. The most likely Sign-and-Trade scenarios are Houston and Minnesota, but the problem is we would likely be stuck with contracts that we don't want, such as Ryan Anderson ($61.3m/3years) or Gorgui Dieng ($62.8m/4years), without assets to compensate for this. Houston just traded away their 2018 first round pick for Chris Paul, which prevents them from trading their 2019 pick. Minnesota just got a 2018 first round from Utah in the Rubio trade, but I don't think taking on Dieng is worth having that pick. Maybe they also throw in Tyus Jones, but I think I would still prefer the cap space flexibility. Hopefully Denver wants to do a sign-and-trade and Millsap wants to go there. Our return would likely depend on what their plans for free agency are and if they need to shed some salary. The likely player they would want us to take is Faried ($26.7m/2years), which I would be fine with if we got other assets. Maybe they give us a first round pick and also Malik Beasley, who we can put in Hawks University. I would also glady take Arthur, who I think would be good in our system. Overall, I think it would take some real creativity for a SnT to Timberwolves or Rockets and I don't see Denver giving up too many assets since they could have the cap space to sign him.
  2. What to do with Bazemore and Plumlee's contracts? I think it is going to take attaching the CLE or MIN first round picks to move each of these contracts (one first rounder for each). I don't think we move them this offseason. We don't need the cap space. Let them get closer to expiring when they will be easier to move.
  3. Match offers for Hardaway Jr. up until $60m/4years. This comes out to be an average of $15,000,000 per year. Rumors are that Jonathan Simmons is going to get a deal that is equivalent to $9m/year and Reddick is pushing for a $16-18m/year deal. I think Hardaway has some more growth in him and his age fits our timeline. I almost think I would be willing to go higher than this deal, but would want to see how the market is going.
  4. Resign Muscala to $21m/3year deal that is front loaded. If I am Schlenk, I would be trying to make all the deals front loaded this offseason because we don't need the cap space. I think Muscala is a very serviceable big off the bench that can really stretch the court. One of the best Centers shooting the three ball. Still young.
  5. Sign JaMychal Green to $74m/4year deal that is front loaded. Problem with Green is he is a RFA and could be matched by MEM. He doesn't have the offensive/playmaking abilities that Millsap has, but he is cheaper and younger. That said, some will definitely say this is an overpay for him. He can stretch the floor as well as Millsap, if not better. He also has the ability to play some Center if needed. On his last year, he would only be making $17m/year, which should be manageable given cap increases.
  6. Sign Willie Reed to $15m/3year deal that is front loaded. Not that many good Centers out there. Want Dedmon, but I think he takes the MLE and stays with SAS. Baynes is another option, but I think Reed provides more value. Reed gives us good rebounding, defense and toughness.
  7. Sign CJ Miles to $14m/2year deal. Not sure if he would sign a two year deal given his age, which is why its a bit larger per year than he would likely get for a four year deal. Good shooter and gives us a veteran presence. Was thinking maybe go after Ben McLemore instead to bring into Hawks U, but think the veteran presence of Miles will be better. Maybe I just give him a large one year deal also.

Final roster and 2017-2018 salaries

• Green $20,000,000
  • Hardaway $14,000,000 (cap hold at $5,704,013)
  • Bazemore $16,910,113
  • Schröder $15,500,000
  • Plumlee $12,500,000
  • Muscala $7,368,421 (cap hold at $1,471,382)
  • Miles $7,000,000
  • Belinelli $6,606,060
  • Delaney $2,500,000
  • Prince $2,422,560
  • Collins $1,936,920
  • Bembry $1,567,200
  • Dunleavy's partial contract $1,662,500 (could stretch this, but I don't see the point)

Total salary would be $109,973,774, but due to Birds rights on Hardaway and Muscala we would still have $3,219,252 left in cap room if we wanted. I also didn't use the Non-Taxpayer MLE or Bi-Annual Exception, which I believe are worth $8,406,000 and $3,290,000 respectively.

Active roster would be:

• Schröder / Delaney
  • Hardaway / Belinelli / Bembry
  • Prince / Bazemore / Miles
  • Green / Collins
  • Muscala / Reed

I actually think this roster if coached well enough could make the 8th seed in the East, but it would be close. Weak spots would be PG with Delaney still at backup and Center. Would probably start Muscala at Center, but could envision many nights that Reed gets more minutes.

Anyways, I honestly have NO IDEA what Schlenk's plan is this offseason. I honestly don't see too many free agents that are obtainable, young and have upside. I think the Green signing would be heavily criticized, but I just feel that we would have so much cap space and need to use it on something. Why not use it on a guy that has shown great improvement and could still be improving.

1 hour ago, Bankingitbig said:

On the eve of free agency and now that the draft is over, I decided to quickly put in my predictions. I am assuming a salary cap of $99,000,000.

Guaranteed contracts heading into free agency. If we renounce all cap holds, then we would have $37m in cap room.

• Bazemore $16,910,113
  • Schröder $15,500,000
  • Plumlee $12,500,000
  • Belinelli $6,606,060
  • Delaney $2,500,000
  • Prince $2,422,560
  • Collins $1,936,920
  • Bembry $1,567,200

Free agency

1. Let Millsap walk. The most likely Sign-and-Trade scenarios are Houston and Minnesota, but the problem is we would likely be stuck with contracts that we don't want, such as Ryan Anderson ($61.3m/3years) or Gorgui Dieng ($62.8m/4years), without assets to compensate for this. Houston just traded away their 2018 first round pick for Chris Paul, which prevents them from trading their 2019 pick. Minnesota just got a 2018 first round from Utah in the Rubio trade, but I don't think taking on Dieng is worth having that pick. Maybe they also throw in Tyus Jones, but I think I would still prefer the cap space flexibility. Hopefully Denver wants to do a sign-and-trade and Millsap wants to go there. Our return would likely depend on what their plans for free agency are and if they need to shed some salary. The likely player they would want us to take is Faried ($26.7m/2years), which I would be fine with if we got other assets. Maybe they give us a first round pick and also Malik Beasley, who we can put in Hawks University. I would also glady take Arthur, who I think would be good in our system. Overall, I think it would take some real creativity for a SnT to Timberwolves or Rockets and I don't see Denver giving up too many assets since they could have the cap space to sign him.
  2. What to do with Bazemore and Plumlee's contracts? I think it is going to take attaching the CLE or MIN first round picks to move each of these contracts (one first rounder for each). I don't think we move them this offseason. We don't need the cap space. Let them get closer to expiring when they will be easier to move.
  3. Match offers for Hardaway Jr. up until $60m/4years. This comes out to be an average of $15,000,000 per year. Rumors are that Jonathan Simmons is going to get a deal that is equivalent to $9m/year and Reddick is pushing for a $16-18m/year deal. I think Hardaway has some more growth in him and his age fits our timeline. I almost think I would be willing to go higher than this deal, but would want to see how the market is going.
  4. Resign Muscala to $21m/3year deal that is front loaded. If I am Schlenk, I would be trying to make all the deals front loaded this offseason because we don't need the cap space. I think Muscala is a very serviceable big off the bench that can really stretch the court. One of the best Centers shooting the three ball. Still young.
  5. Sign JaMychal Green to $74m/4year deal that is front loaded. Problem with Green is he is a RFA and could be matched by MEM. He doesn't have the offensive/playmaking abilities that Millsap has, but he is cheaper and younger. That said, some will definitely say this is an overpay for him. He can stretch the floor as well as Millsap, if not better. He also has the ability to play some Center if needed. On his last year, he would only be making $17m/year, which should be manageable given cap increases.
  6. Sign Willie Reed to $15m/3year deal that is front loaded. Not that many good Centers out there. Want Dedmon, but I think he takes the MLE and stays with SAS. Baynes is another option, but I think Reed provides more value. Reed gives us good rebounding, defense and toughness.
  7. Sign CJ Miles to $14m/2year deal. Not sure if he would sign a two year deal given his age, which is why its a bit larger per year than he would likely get for a four year deal. Good shooter and gives us a veteran presence. Was thinking maybe go after Ben McLemore instead to bring into Hawks U, but think the veteran presence of Miles will be better. Maybe I just give him a large one year deal also.

Final roster and 2017-2018 salaries

• Green $20,000,000
  • Hardaway $14,000,000 (cap hold at $5,704,013)
  • Bazemore $16,910,113
  • Schröder $15,500,000
  • Plumlee $12,500,000
  • Muscala $7,368,421 (cap hold at $1,471,382)
  • Miles $7,000,000
  • Belinelli $6,606,060
  • Delaney $2,500,000
  • Prince $2,422,560
  • Collins $1,936,920
  • Bembry $1,567,200

Total salary would be $109,973,774, but due to Birds rights on Hardaway and Muscala we would still have $3,219,252 left in cap room if we wanted. I also didn't use the Non-Taxpayer MLE or Bi-Annual Exception, which I believe are worth $8,406,000 and $3,290,000 respectively.

Active roster would be:

• Schröder / Delaney
  • Hardaway / Belinelli / Bembry
  • Prince / Bazemore / Miles
  • Green / Collins
  • Muscala / Reed

I actually think this roster if coached well enough could make the 8th seed in the East, but it would be close. Weak spots would be PG with Delaney still at backup and Center. Would probably start Muscala at Center, but could envision many nights that Reed gets more minutes.

Anyways, I honestly have NO IDEA what Schlenk's plan is this offseason. I honestly don't see too many free agents that are obtainable, young and have upside. I think the Green signing would be heavily criticized, but I just feel that we would have so much cap space and need to use it on something. Why not use it on a guy that has shown great improvement and could still be improving.

That roster wins 20-25 games. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

That roster wins 20-25 games. 

If the goal is to win games next year, then we should just sign Millsap to the 5-year max right? Have to be realistic about where our current roster is at while not hurting our future.

Edited by Bankingitbig

2 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

If the goal is to win games next year, then we should just sign Millsap to the 5-year max right? Have to be realistic about where are current roster is at while not hurting our future.

I'm just pointing out that if that was the roster it wouldn't be competitive no matter what Bud does.