• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The off-season according to Travis Schlenk

NBASupes

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

No doubt, before 2016 kicked off, many of us Falcons fans were like, "Reigning league MVP; Up-and-coming Second season Heisman winner off an All-Rookie season; Super Bowl winner... hmmm... is Matty Ice (Past age 30, career-worst 21/16 TD/INT ratio, career-high 12 fumbles, career-low QBR, no winning seasons and no playoffs since 2012) now the 4th best QB in his own division?"

Fortunately for us, the NFL Trade Machines aren't so flexible (and fortunately for Matt, his O-Line became much less of a sieve). I wasn't looking to dump Matt, but I was a torch-carrying proponent of dumping "Dimwitroff" and going the Schlenk route, letting some new Falcons honcho decide what to do with a guy who was looking more and more like Matty Melt.

Usually, when GMs preach about "flexibility" without being fans of 'blowing it all up", moves like Bembry's are what they have in mind. I'm a fan of DeAccent' for several semi-biased reasons. But this is one of those where Sausage would kick the can down the road (to 2020), rather than holding out for a guard's jumpshot to come around through player development, a first-round guard he personally didn't pick. He's seen enough to wait-and-see on Prince, who he also inherited, but unfortunately not Bembry (that's more Bud's fault than DeAndre''s).

In so doing, Schlenk would be hoping he'd get a chance to pick his own developmental first-rounder, while getting a playable second-stringer (that can already shoot a little, and is less than a year older) at another position on a more flexible deal than Bembry's (and the guy they'd otherwise pick from the Dump Baze deal's) rookie scale contracts. Philly would have the same grumbles about "just giving away" Holmes that we'd have about Bembry. Of course, it's Philly, so grumbling is the default position.

~lw3

I understand but it wasn't just Matt. People didn't want to resign Robert Alford, wanted Tyson Jackson, Ricardo Allen, Brooks Reid, Ra'Shede Hageman cut. Wanted to Trade Trufant while declaring Vic Beasley and Jalen Collins a bust.  In other words, the board was calling for a total revamping of the roster and organization but all it took was changing the culture by changing the head coach.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think that is time that we re-examine things from a different perspective.  The majority of posters continue to focus on players and to a certain extent I agree, you need certain types of players to be consistently successful in this league and the funny thing about this is certain teams seem to acquire these types of players more frequently than others and nobody ask why.  Specific player acquisition is not the only thing necessary obviously otherwise Lebron would be more successful in the finals.  As it stand now, he will probably finish his career well under .500 in finals even though he is arguably the best player ever. 

I will concede that it is much more enjoyable to contend for championships than being an also rans year in and year out and maybe to some degree, we all are tired of the treadmill but I just don't agree that the treadmill is totally due to not having any given player or players. We have changed players over and over only to get to the same level.  

To me, the treadmill starts with the head coach.  Many of you have already concluded that Bud is not the problem but part of the solution.  Many Falcon fans shared the same sentiment regarding Mike Smith.  Now we know he was the problem while Quinn is the solution.  Is Bud an above average coach? Sure he is just like Mike Smith but are they Belichick or Greg Popovich?  Absolutely not.  So if you want a championship, you must obtain a championship quality coach and so far Budenhoizer has not demonstrated to me that he is that kind of coach.

46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think that is time that we re-examine things from a different perspective.  The majority of posters continue to focus on players and to a certain extent I agree, you need certain types of players to be consistently successful in this league and the funny thing about this is certain teams seem to acquire these types of players more frequently than others and nobody ask why.  Specific player acquisition is not the only thing necessary obviously otherwise Lebron would be more successful in the finals.  As it stand now, he will probably finish his career well under .500 in finals even though he is arguably the best player ever. 

I will concede that it is much more enjoyable to contend for championships than being an also rans year in and year out and maybe to some degree, we all are tired of the treadmill but I just don't agree that the treadmill is totally due to not having any given player or players. We have changed players over and over only to get to the same level.  

To me, the treadmill starts with the head coach.  Many of you have already concluded that Bud is not the problem but part of the solution.  Many Falcon fans shared the same sentiment regarding Mike Smith.  Now we know he was the problem while Quinn is the solution.  Is Bud an above average coach? Sure he is just like Mike Smith but are they Belichick or Greg Popovich?  Absolutely not.  So if you want a championship, you must obtain a championship quality coach and so far Budenhoizer has not demonstrated to me that he is that kind of coach.

Bud is superior to Mike Smith. Bud is not my problem, it's the lack of personnel 

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What's the evidence?

If you can't name a viable replacement who's better, I will not accept your criticism as anything more than nonsensical ramblings.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

If you can't name a viable replacement who's better, I will not accept your criticism as anything more than nonsensical ramblings.

Its not about replacing him, Its about having realistic expectation about a Budenhoizer coached team.  When you have a treadmill coach, you can't expect a championship contender.  That's all

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its not about replacing him, Its about having realistic expectation about a Budenhoizer coached team.  When you have a treadmill coach, you can't expect a championship contender.  That's all

Cop-out alert!

oprah-won-t-accept-it

If he's a 'treadmill' coach then who isn't?

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Viable, attainable, realistic candidates only please.  We'll wait ...

waiting

How would I know the answer to that question?  I'm not a GM.  I am limited to observation after someone has been on the job not predicting who will be good at a job without a historical reference.  Sorry, I'll leave that up to the super star GM's

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

How would I know the answer to that question?  I'm not a GM.  I am limited to observation after someone has been on the job not predicting who will be good at a job without a historical reference.  Sorry, I'll leave that up to the super star GM's

#CopOut

Don't give us problems, give us solutions.  C'mon, Peo.  You're better than that (Mark Jackson voice)

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

#CopOut

Don't give us problems, give us solutions.  C'mon, Peo.  You're better than that (Mark Jackson voice)

Speaking of Mark Jackson, he was in that category of good coach like Bud but Kerr was a championship coach that took his team to the finals and should have won 2 title with his team had injuries not derailed them last year

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Speaking of Mark Jackson, he was in that category of good coach like Bud but Kerr was a championship coach that took his team to the finals and should have won 2 title with his team had injuries not derailed them last year

How do we know he wasn't a championship coach?  Mind you, I don't think he is.  However, how do we know that team wasn't poised to get to this level had he remained?

I'll answer that for you ... we don't know.  We can only assume and make hindsight-20/20 statements after the fact.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

How do we know he wasn't a championship coach?  Mind you, I don't think he is.  However, how do we know that team wasn't poised to get to this level had he remained?

I'll answer that for you ... we don't know.  We can only assume and make hindsight-20/20 statements after the fact.

Is he coaching now?  I guess the rest of the league kinda answered that question for us!

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Is he coaching now?  I guess the rest of the league kinda answered that question for us!

There you go goal-post movin'.  That's another discussion entirely.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

There you go goal-post movin'.  That's another discussion entirely.

No moving the goal post but just letting you know that I and the Warrior are not the only ones who thinks he isn't a championship coach

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

No moving the goal post but just letting you know that I and the Warrior are not the only ones who thinks he isn't a championship coach

Not necessarily.  His coaching prowess (of lack thereof) isn't the reason he's unemployed if you believe the reports.

We need to slow TF down. I have often said that there are coaching 2nd year jumps with teams. Too early to evaluate Quinn, will be too early to evaluate Kirby Smart if Georgia heads to the SECCG later this year.

Slow TF down.