• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jonathan Jeanne

KB21

There has been a lot of talk about the Hawks going big with their pick, and many fans are wanting a guy who brings upside to the table.  The name Justin Patton keeps getting thrown out there, but if you want someone who has the highest upside of all the big men in this draft, then it is Jonathan Jeanne.  He's a string bean physically right now, but his skill level and athleticism is off the charts.  Really, his ability is high enough that I wonder if someone in the mid teens will take him before the 19th pick.  Here is a video reel of his highlights:

That is a 7'2" athlete that is stealing passes and running the court like a gazelle.   Obviously, he needs strength work, and that's something he will get with Atlanta's new set up and their dedicated practice facility at Emory.  This guy may be a Rudy Gobert type with a better jump shot. 

I think I have a new favorite for the 19th pick. 

• Like 1

He's definitely got a top 10 ceiling in this draft I would say. I wanted him at 31 but his combine was so good that he will probably go in the first now, as he should. He's the same height and a similar wingspan as Rudy Gobert but is 30 lbs lighter than Rudy when he was drafted. He definitely needs to put on a bunch of muscle before he is a real Threat in the NBA. He'd probably be a draft and stash player, and hopefully could take over when Dwight becomes a free agent.

I have no idea how you can like a guy like this but hate the 1-and-done guys?

Give me Harry Giles over this guy (and I don't even like Giles).  

49 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I have no idea how you can like a guy like this but hate the 1-and-done guys?

Give me Harry Giles over this guy (and I don't even like Giles).  

Watch the video.  The comparison from a skill level and athleticism level is like night and day.  Watch video of Justin Patton and his long, looping shot vs this guy.  Watch video of Harry Giles, who did absolutely zilch when he was on the floor for Duke.  The Allen kid at Texas isn't at this guy's level either. 

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Watch the video.  The comparison from a skill level and athleticism level is like night and day.  Watch video of Justin Patton and his long, looping shot vs this guy.  Watch video of Harry Giles, who did absolutely zilch when he was on the floor for Duke.  The Allen kid at Texas isn't at this guy's level either. 

The video looks basically like every other Euro-big video.  Yawn.

Why not just sign Alex Ajinca now and get it over with?

I should say, though, I don't like Patton or the TX guy either.  Give me them over this Jeanne dude.

I guess the main premise I don't understand is, why do the 1-and-done guys not get the benefit of the doubt but this equally unproven dude does even as he's competing against (arguably) lesser talent and not looking all that great?

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

The video looks basically like every other Euro-big video.  Yawn.

Why not just sign Alex Ajinca now and get it over with?

I should say, though, I don't like Patton or the TX guy either.  Give me them over this Jeanne dude.

I guess the main premise I don't understand is, why do the 1-and-done guys not get the benefit of the doubt but this equally unproven dude does even as he's competing against (arguably) lesser talent and not looking all that great?

He's been in the French Pro A league, which is not competing against lesser talent.  He also hasn't been brought up in the AAU culture, and his skill level is like night and day when compared to the one and done candidates in this draft.  This guy has the base to be a legitimate starter in the NBA.  None of the one and done centers do, IMO. 

Also, that film is not like any other Euro-Big.  You don't see many international guys that can run the floor like this guy. 

There is a one and done guy that I would be all for drafting, and that is Lauri Markkanen.  He may be a one skill guy in the long run, but that skill is elite. 

My draft board is forming, and right now, I have Lauri Markkanen, Jonathan Jeane, Anzejs Pasecniks, and Isaiah Hartenstein rated pretty high for the Hawks.  A guy I'm going to look more at is DJ Wilson as well.

Jeanne is not starting for any team with any designs on being a high-level team.  The Euro leagues are littered with guys who run the floor like a gazelle and just because he didn't go through 'AAU culture' doesn't mean he's a better basketball player.

KB, you're becoming what you hate.  A guy touting unproven dudes as if they're sure things.  Consider this an intervention, KB.

I like Hartenstein so much more than Jeanne.  He's not a toothpick, plays with an edge, appears to have a good shot out to the 3 and appears to be mobile on D while being 'girthy' enough to rebound at a high level.  I see none of those things in Jeanne.

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The Euro leagues are littered with guys who run the floor like a gazelle and just because he didn't go through 'AAU culture' doesn't mean he's a better basketball player.

Sh**, Dennis went through "Euro culture" and his life outside of basketball is often heavily questioned. It doesn't matter. Older teens to young adults are going to be older teens to young adults, even if its over in Europe.

Edited by Lurker

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sh**, Dennis went through "Euro culture" and his life outside of basketball is often heavily questioned. It doesn't matter. Older teens to young adults are going to be older teens to young adults, even if its over in Europe.

He's referring to skill-level from a basketball standpoint, not necessarily the 'hype' or w/e.  Dennis is a weird combination of the (supposed) good of Euro basketball grassroots and the (supposed) bad of US AAU culture in some ways.

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He's referring to skill-level from a basketball standpoint, not necessarily the 'hype' or w/e.  Dennis is a weird combination of the (supposed) good of Euro basketball grassroots and the (supposed) bad of US AAU culture in some ways.

I mean, outside of the being a Muslim and the like, if you took away the ability of knowing what country someone is from and ignored his accent, you'd never be able to tell that he wasn't a typical US young adult that sometimes does bad things and gets into bad things and I honestly don't think he has too many Euro like tendencies. I mean there's some, but he's adapted a lot of the American like guard stuff into his game (like those aggravating pull up threes).

Point still stands. The age range from about 16 to 24 years old are going to be 16 to 24 years old. It doesn't matter if they're in America. It doesn't matter if they're in Antarctica. It doesn't matter if they have a coach holding their hand, telling them what is right and what is wrong. Just because they're from Europe, doesn't mean they're good in an all around way.

38 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Jeanne is not starting for any team with any designs on being a high-level team.  The Euro leagues are littered with guys who run the floor like a gazelle and just because he didn't go through 'AAU culture' doesn't mean he's a better basketball player.

KB, you're becoming what you hate.  A guy touting unproven dudes as if they're sure things.  Consider this an intervention, KB.

I like Hartenstein so much more than Jeanne.  He's not a toothpick, plays with an edge, appears to have a good shot out to the 3 and appears to be mobile on D while being 'girthy' enough to rebound at a high level.  I see none of those things in Jeanne.

I see. 

So you wouldn't want Rudy Gobert as your starting center. 

The latest SB Nation mock draft has Jeanne going 9th, so discussing him for 19 probably isn't going to be an issue.  He's going to be one of the first big men drafted and will likely be drafted ahead of the more hyped one and done guys that didn't produce.

I really don't see how you can hate the 1 and done guys but like Jeanne. He's a massive project. FIrst you have to get his weight up, then you have to teach him how to play ball. Year away from a year away type of guy IMO. Certainly has great potential but is the most likely to bust.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I see. 

So you wouldn't want Rudy Gobert as your starting center. 

The latest SB Nation mock draft has Jeanne going 9th, so discussing him for 19 probably isn't going to be an issue.  He's going to be one of the first big men drafted and will likely be drafted ahead of the more hyped one and done guys that didn't produce.

He ain't Gobert.  Heck, Gobert wasn't Gobert until a year or so in.  He's a couple years away from being a few years away.

@DBac spells it out as well as I can.  Jeanne is as big a project as Giles.  How can you like one but not the other?

That's the issue I have.

• Premium Member
It's a guessing game as to what these prospects will be.  More often than not - more wrong than right.

That's why I'm content if Schlenk just stays pat at 19 and drafts BPA if he can't clear capspace by making a deal which involves giving up only that one pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DBac said:

I really don't see how you can hate the 1 and done guys but like Jeanne. He's a massive project. FIrst you have to get his weight up, then you have to teach him how to play ball. Year away from a year away type of guy IMO. Certainly has great potential but is the most likely to bust.

He knows how to play ball.  He hasn't been playing in rec leagues like AAU that emphasize one on one isolation.   He's only a project because you have to shape his body, but he's not a guy that you are going to have to teach skill to him.  He's got that already.  He's far more skilled than his similar aged counterparts in this draft. 

• Like 2