• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lauri Markkanen

KB21

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Apparently, Detroit would like to deal the 12th pick for a veteran that can help them compete now.

I think we could move up to there if we relieved them of some salary using Dunleavy's contract (I think that's possible?). Dunleavy + 19 for Boban and 12 or something.

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Seriously? You gotta play both ends though...can he defend? And I don't want to see videos of chairs defending him in an open gym lol.

He's not gonna be a defensive stopper but ... that jumper is pure money. We're talking Curry/Dirk level money. He's draining jumpers from all over the court with hands in his face. He ain't a perfect prospect (inconsistent motor, thin, defensive/board question marks), but I'd take the risk for this kid. He'd give Dennis all kinds of space.

Guess I should clarify, I'm not saying he'll be a Curry/Dirk level player, but his jumper is that good. He'll be the forward version of Korver at least IMO. He's got the percentages AND the stroke. For comparisons sake, Dougie McBuckets had the percentages, but honestly his stroke never looked that great and so he's been inconsistent. Every time Markannen lets it fly it looks like it's going in.

42 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Guess I should clarify, I'm not saying he'll be a Curry/Dirk level player, but his jumper is that good. He'll be the forward version of Korver at least IMO. He's got the percentages AND the stroke. For comparisons sake, Dougie McBuckets had the percentages, but honestly his stroke never looked that great and so he's been inconsistent. Every time Markannen lets it fly it looks like it's going in.

True. Worst case he's a 7 ft Korver. That's a high floor for prospect, and it means he'll be making money no matter what after his rookie deal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

True. Worst case he's a 7 ft Korver. That's a high floor for prospect, and it means he'll be making money no matter what after his rookie deal. 

Yep.

I would love to add this guy and add Joe Ingles as a RFA.

19 minutes ago, CP61 said:

So we've established that he has a high floor. What's his ceiling. Not like a player comp, but can he be the best player on a championship team? Can he be the second best? 

I think he can be a supporting star on a championship team.  He's not Dirk, but that jumper is high level and he has some secondary skills that would allow him to be a legitimate star player in a supporting role.  

I don't see any superstars in this draft.  There may be 2-3 legit star players at the most and maybe 2-3 supporting stars.  Everyone else is going to be either a role player or a rotational guy.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I think he can be a supporting star on a championship team.  He's not Dirk, but that jumper is high level and he has some secondary skills that would allow him to be a legitimate star player in a supporting role.  

I don't see any superstars in this draft.  There may be 2-3 legit star players at the most and maybe 2-3 supporting stars.  Everyone else is going to be either a role player or a rotational guy.

Yeah I think Fultz could be a real superstar but that's about it. There's a bunch of guys I think can go to allstar games if everything goes right for them, but no #1 guy for the franchise except for Fultz. I do think Markkanen can average 20 ppg though so he could be part of a big 3.  That's better than what the Hawks have now if Millsap leaves. I think Dennis and Taurean could be starters on a contender, but they would probably have to be the two worst starters with the super teams in the NBA now.

I don't think Fultz is a superstar level player.  A second tier star maybe, but not superstar.  If he were a superstar caliber player, he would have lead his team to the NCAA tournament.

I'd say that Fultz's ceiling is as a 2nd tier star.  I like Ntilikina somewhere between a 2nd tier star and a supporting star.  Josh Jackson, I'm just not convinced on the jump shot.  I'm not sure he becomes more than a role player.  I'm the same on Lonzo Ball.  I think Jonathan Isaac is a role player.  Markkanen is somewhere between a supporting star and a role player.  If Jayson Tatum's jumper develops, he could be a supporting star.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

I don't think Fultz is a superstar level player.  A second tier star maybe, but not superstar.  If he were a superstar caliber player, he would have lead his team to the NCAA tournament.

Hmmmm...I don't know about this. I think Fultz could be the real deal. As a Celtic hater for life, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'd say that Fultz's ceiling is as a 2nd tier star.  I like Ntilikina somewhere between a 2nd tier star and a supporting star.  Josh Jackson, I'm just not convinced on the jump shot.  I'm not sure he becomes more than a role player.  I'm the same on Lonzo Ball.  I think Jonathan Isaac is a role player.  Markkanen is somewhere between a supporting star and a role player.  If Jayson Tatum's jumper develops, he could be a supporting star.

I'm not as 'down' on all them guys as you are, however, I sense a lack of real star power as years go by.  Most eggsperts look at guys like Simmons (last year) and Fultz and say they can be superstars and the reason they didn't make the NCAA's because their games translate better to the NBA than college.  That's bullshat.  Put 17yo Lebron on that WAS team or on that LSU team and they make the Final 4.

For some reason, no one wants to spell that out.  They just want to look at guys like Fultz in open gym or w/e and ooh and aah at his supposed "skill level" then extrapolate that to in-game situations and come to the conclusion that he's gonna be a star.

For all the warts, I can see Ball being more of a 'star' than Fultz.  Greg Anthony put it well.  He said for Fultz, you look at him.  For Ball, you look at them.  Basically saying Ball did things that resulted in his teammates all having career years and his team won.  On the other hand, Fultz had a career year individually but it didn't translate to wins.

6 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Hmmmm...I don't know about this. I think Fultz could be the real deal. As a Celtic hater for life, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Don't worry, Fultz to BOS just muddies the waters there.  No way they can keep Thomas and draft a ball-dominant PG with the #1 pick.  I have no idea why no eggsperts are willing to broach that subject.

37 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm not as 'down' on all them guys as you are, however, I sense a lack of real star power as years go by.  Most eggsperts look at guys like Simmons (last year) and Fultz and say they can be superstars and the reason they didn't make the NCAA's because their games translate better to the NBA than college.  That's bullshat.  Put 17yo Lebron on that WAS team or on that LSU team and they make the Final 4.

For some reason, no one wants to spell that out.  They just want to look at guys like Fultz in open gym or w/e and ooh and aah at his supposed "skill level" then extrapolate that to in-game situations and come to the conclusion that he's gonna be a star.

For all the warts, I can see Ball being more of a 'star' than Fultz.  Greg Anthony put it well.  He said for Fultz, you look at him.  For Ball, you look at them.  Basically saying Ball did things that resulted in his teammates all having career years and his team won.  On the other hand, Fultz had a career year individually but it didn't translate to wins.

Don't worry, Fultz to BOS just muddies the waters there.  No way they can keep Thomas and draft a ball-dominant PG with the #1 pick.  I have no idea why no eggsperts are willing to broach that subject.

I can see that.  I'm not convinced on him yet because I have concerns about the intangibles and how he lets his father make a mockery of him, but there was clearly a tremendous team impact that Lonzo had on UCLA.  Think about this.  A year ago, UCLA was 15-17 on the year.  This year, with Lonzo Ball and TJ Leaf as two true freshmen who were their most impactful players along with Aaron Holiday, a sophomore, they were 31-5. 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

People talk about the Isiah Argo as and Fultz sitauation all the time. Fultz is 6'5 and can play shooting guard. The consensus is, trade Isiah and keep Fultz. Build for when the Cavs aren't unbeatable.

32 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I can see that.  I'm not convinced on him yet because I have concerns about the intangibles and how he lets his father make a mockery of him, but there was clearly a tremendous team impact that Lonzo had on UCLA.  Think about this.  A year ago, UCLA was 15-17 on the year.  This year, with Lonzo Ball and TJ Leaf as two true freshmen who were their most impactful players along with Aaron Holiday, a sophomore, they were 31-5. 

"Impactful" is a great word.  Ball was, Fultz really wasn't.  Can you imagine saying that about an NBA superstar?

5 minutes ago, CP61 said:

People talk about the Isiah Argo as and Fultz sitauation all the time. Fultz is 6'5 and can play shooting guard. The consensus is, trade Isiah and keep Fultz. Build for when the Cavs aren't unbeatable.

See I reject the notion that, simply because he's 6'5", he can play 2guard.  That's not his game.  He's a scoring, lead guard.  He doesn't defend and isn't really a catch 'n shoot guy.  Could you see John Wall playing 2guard?

And yeah the 'build for when Lebron's old' strategy seems to be the Sees fallback excuse.  If that were true, why in the actual fack did they sign Alice?  Exactly, because it's not true.  It's just what they say now that they realize their build has failed.

Also, I don't know who this Isiah Argo cat is but I bet he's a beast. (hehe)

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

"Impactful" is a great word.  Ball was, Fultz really wasn't.  Can you imagine saying that about an NBA superstar?

See I reject the notion that, simply because he's 6'5", he can play 2guard.  That's not his game.  He's a scoring, lead guard.  He doesn't defend and isn't really a catch 'n shoot guy.  Could you see John Wall playing 2guard?

And yeah the 'build for when Lebron's old' strategy seems to be the Sees fallback excuse.  If that were true, why in the actual fack did they sign Alice?  Exactly, because it's not true.  It's just what they say now that they realize their build has failed.

Also, I don't know who this Isiah Argo cat is but I bet he's a beast. (hehe)

James Harden, the player Fultz is most often compared to, missed the tournament as well when he was a freshman. Wins in college as an 18 and 19 year old don't mean anything. 

5 minutes ago, CP61 said:

James Harden, the player Fultz is most often compared to, missed the tournament as well when he was a freshman. Wins in college as an 18 and 19 year old don't mean anything. 

I accept that they're not the end-all/be-all.  However, if we're talking about torpedoing a franchise to try to obtain a guy, I'd prefer they be able to impact winning more.

I should also say that I'm of the opinion that Har_en is a stat-compiler who will never actually win anything in the NBA as the lead guy so TIFWIW.

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I accept that they're not the end-all/be-all.  However, if we're talking about torpedoing a franchise to try to obtain a guy, I'd prefer they be able to impact winning more.

I should also say that I'm of the opinion that Har_en is a stat-compiler who will never actually win anything in the NBA as the lead guy so TIFWIW.

Well if we disagree that Harden is a superstar, then I see why you would say Fultz won't be.