• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lauri Markkanen

KB21

11 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Well if we disagree that Harden is a superstar, then I see why you would say Fultz won't be.

I think we disagree on the definition of 'superstar'.  Har_en is a superstar in terms of attention-getting, not in terms of winning.

20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think we disagree on the definition of 'superstar'.  Har_en is a superstar in terms of attention-getting, not in terms of winning.

They just won 55 games. With who as their second best player?

Just now, CP61 said:

They just won 55 games. With who as their second best player?

Don't you do that.  We won 60 games and got to the ECF a coupla years ago and we were never a real contender.

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Don't you do that.  We won 60 games and got to the ECF a coupla years ago and we were never a real contender.

Fair. I just think they could be if they got him another star to play with. There are only two real contenders in th nba right now.

3 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Fair. I just think they could be if they got him another star to play with. There are only two real contenders in th nba right now.

Sigh.  Sadly true.

Now back to this Lauri chick ...

1 minute ago, CP61 said:

I think if Lauri pans out and pairs with a Harden type they could be part of a contending core.

They'd have to win games 155-152

• 9 months later...
On 5/30/2017 at 10:59 PM, thecampster said:

I've been advocating for him since the tourney. He is only going to get stronger. He has small forward skills attacking the rim and shooting outside and elite length as a PF. IMHO, he is going to be the player look back to and say, how was he not drafted in the top 3.  I would happily let Sap walk, trade baze plus the 2 future 1sts and one of our own to move up and take him at 5-8.  Then use the money created by trading away Baze and letting Sap walk to fill out the roster. Let Lauri learn on the job and trot out Dennis, THj, Prince, Markannen, Howard next year (building unit cohesion). Take our top 10-20 pick and build from there. Markannen is going to be a 20 ppg scorer in this league one day. He is the one player I can say is going to be worth the pick. He reminds me of Kyle Korver shooting with Chris Crawford Athleticism in Dirk Nowitski's body. The kid was only 19 this past season.

Audible sigh....I love Collins but oh what could have been.  15ppg, 7.5 rpg rookie year.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Audible sigh....I love Collins but oh what could have been.  15ppg, 7.5 rpg rookie year.

He looks like a nice get but we didn't pick until 10 slots later so not like we were just a pick off or anything.  We were no closer to him than Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell.  All gone well before us.  This is why we need to be high this year - you have to be on the board when these guys are available in order to take them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He looks like a nice get but we didn't pick until 10 slots later so not like we were just a pick off or anything.  We were no closer to him than Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell.  All gone well before us.  This is why we need to be high this year - you have to be on the board when these guys are available in order to take them.

You forgot to bring them into a losing culture where they will have no impact on winning.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You forgot to bring them into a losing culture where they will have no impact on winning.

You've cited your admiration of Charlotte and Memphis.  Will they win as many games this year as Philly?  Philly has the most losing culture in NBA history -- the most blatant tanking ever. 

How about if you give Charlotte and Memphis a break and go back a few years?  Philly already has won more games this season than Memphis has in 3 years and is on track to win more than Charlotte has won in 3 years.  How much is that culture worth?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

You've cited your admiration of Charlotte and Memphis.  Will they win as many games this year than Philly? How about if you give Charlotte and Memphis a break and go back a few years?

Philly already has won more games this season than Memphis has in 3 years and is on track to win more than Charlotte has won in 3 years.

Yeah.  After 5 lottery picks and tons of losses, they are finally able to feast on the doormats of the Eastern Conference.  Taking 5-6 years to get to this point is unacceptable.

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

Yeah.  After 5 lottery picks and tons of losses, they are finally able to feast on the doormats of the Eastern Conference.  Taking 5-6 years to get to this point is unacceptable.

Atlanta and Charlotte were basically the same team last year but for luck of a few games.  Both hovered near .500 and Charlotte had a positive point differential but a few more losses and Atlanta had a negative point differential and a few more wins.  If they were a doormat, so were we.  Memphis was right were you want us to be with 7 straight playoff seasons.  Their culture was so strong they prematurely shut down their best guard's season when he was close to a return and then proceeded to tank it up instead of actually competing.  The subsequent moves shutting down other players like Tyreke Evans and benching healthy multiple All-Star, multiple All-NBA, DPOY Marc Gasol so they can lose by 60 points and tank it up speaks to how they value that culture.  Basically it is worth pissing on to them compared to the chance to get a high impact player in the draft.

But for the Hawks' one magical season, Philly is on pace to finish with a better record than every Hawks playoff team over the prior 7 years except their key players are on cost controlled contracts and are 19, 21 and 23.  They also have room to add a max free agent.  But I'm sure they will be on a downward trend again next season because of their losing culture, right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Atlanta and Charlotte were basically the same team last year but for luck of a few games.  Both hovered near .500 and Charlotte had a positive point differential but a few more losses and Atlanta had a negative point differential and a few more wins.  If they were a doormat, so were we.  Memphis was right were you want us to be with 7 straight playoff seasons.  Their culture was so strong they prematurely shut down their best guard's season when he was close to a return and then proceeded to tank it up instead of actually competing.  The subsequent moves shutting down other players like Tyreke Evans and benching healthy multiple All-Star, multiple All-NBA, DPOY Marc Gasol so they can lose by 60 points and tank it up speaks to how they value that culture.  Basically it is worth pissing on to them compared to the chance to get a high impact player in the draft.

But for the Hawks' one magical season, Philly is on pace to finish with a better record than every Hawks playoff team over the prior 7 years except their key players are on cost controlled contracts and are 19, 21 and 23.  They also have room to add a max free agent.  But I'm sure they will be on a downward trend again next season because of their losing culture, right?

Cost controlled?  No.  Embiid has a massive contract now despite not even playing a full season of games to this point.  Robert Covington also has a big contract now as well.  So, they had to pay up before they ever got to the point that there could compete for a playoff spot.  Again, it is unacceptable, because they no longer have the advantage of having players on their rookie deals.

Hey, but if you are fine with years upon years of losing, then the Hawks have chosen the right path.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, DBac said:

Sixers can offer a max contract this offseason.

Seriously.  They have a lot of cap room and lots of good young players, including Covington and Daric who I didn't even mention above.

Covington's salary drops from $17M this year to a really nice looking $10M next year and increases to $11M, $12M and $13M in the following seasons.  Not bad.

The Sixers will have roughly $31M in space this offseason in a market where there won't be many teams trying to contend that have space.

2 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Sixers are one Klay Thompson (or Kawhi Leonard) away from being a real deal contender. Probably don’t even need that much just time to let their young guys grow.

The 76ers will never contend for a championship.