• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Evidently nothing is on the front burner

sturt

• Premium Member

Schlenk told everyone to take the weekend off, and that they'll start fresh on Monday thinking about free agency.

Not quite sure how that works, because he also said that his people were on the phone tonight trying to sign undrafted free agents.

But regardless, I suppose all of the reported talking was just that... talking, if it actually occurred at all. No Sap SnT. No possible Baze deal. Not even anything late breaking about that supposed attempt to obtain another 2nd round draftee.

It seems a pace that is consistent with, "Don't expect anything earth-shattering between now and July 1."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Schlenk told everyone to take the weekend off, and that they'll start fresh on Monday thinking about free agency.

Not quite sure how that works, because he also said that his people were on the phone tonight trying to sign undrafted free agents.

But regardless, I suppose all of the reported talking was just that... talking, if it actually occurred at all. No Sap SnT. No possible Baze deal. Not even anything late breaking about that supposed attempt to obtain another 2nd round draftee.

It seems a pace that is consistent with, "Don't expect anything earth-shattering between now and July 1."

And perhaps don't expect anything earth shattering from July 1st until the start of the season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sturt said:

Sap SnT can't be discussed until July 1. Teams aren't allowed to negotiate with players until then. On Baze, it could also be that teams are just waiting for the Moratorium period and for the new 2017-2018 salary cap. That said, I don't expect a Baze trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bankingitbig said:

Sap SnT can't be discussed until July 1. Teams aren't allowed to negotiate with players until then. On Baze, it could also be that teams are just waiting for the Moratorium period and for the new 2017-2018 salary cap. That said, I don't expect a Baze trade.

I do not think Baze is tradeable either. The Rockets were interested last season but they will be chasing after bigger fish this season. We are just going to hope he turns into the player Bud was seeing when he signed him.

as a manager for a complex project, this is smart. There was turmoil in the front office, Schlenk is new and they had to go through a very intense period to get their draft board arranged and agreed upon. I suspect there were a lot of 20 hour days over the past few weeks. Having everyone take a few days fully off recharges, clears heads, and makes things that seemed insurmountable, fixable. I do this with my staff when we've completed one of our big 4 week, overseas trainings. It really helps. 

21 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I do not think Baze is tradeable either. The Rockets were interested last season but they will be chasing after bigger fish this season. We are just going to hope he turns into the player Bud was seeing when he signed him.

I would suppose that if Plumlee is tradeable, then Baze or anyone else is tradeable.

• Like 1

Just now, Watchman said:

I would suppose that if Plumlee is tradeable, then Baze or anyone else is tradeable.

As long as we send a better pick or picks, you are probably right. Anyone is tradeable if someone is desperate enough. Baze cost a little more than Plumlee......16.9, 18.1, and 19.2. I am being sarcastic with the little more reference. And we thought so much of Baze, his last season at 19.2 is a player option.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

And we thought so much of Baze, his last season at 19.2 is a player option.

Since we all know he'll be worth more than his contract by that year, I think we can safely assume he'll not exercise that option and will sign a deal for 20+.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Since we all know he'll be worth more than his contract by that year, I think we can safely assume he'll not exercise that option and will sign a deal for 20+.

Good one AHF! The Baze contract vs last seasons performance is probably what got ownership moving to getting us a GM.

Bud coaches with his head and heart, When it comes to contracts, the GM/President needs to leave his heart at the door more times than not.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Sap SnT can't be discussed until July 1. Teams aren't allowed to negotiate with players until then.

Ya know, I was thinking about this the other day.... ie, how exactly a SnT would be transacted, and why the heck were we already hearing about possible SnTs before July 1.

My conclusion pending other smarter posters' input is that, indeed, the thought may very well have been, (a) sign Sap to an extension that would pay him max $ (which we can do right here right now if both parties agree b/c he's still under contract with us technically), and (b) trade him to a team under the current CBA rules, which in turn would require less of his new team to send back in return (ie, since his 2016-17 salary is ~$20m), making it easier perhaps to come up with an acceptable trade for both sides.

Am I missing something? I don't think I am, but I might be.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ya know, I was thinking about this the other day.... ie, how exactly a SnT would be transacted, and why the heck were we already hearing about possible SnTs before July 1.

My conclusion pending other smarter posters' input is that, indeed, the thought may very well have been, (a) sign Sap to an extension that would pay him max $ (which we can do right here right now if both parties agree b/c he's still under contract with us technically), and (b) trade him to a team under the current CBA rules, which in turn would require less of his new team to send back in return (ie, since his 2016-17 salary is ~$20m), making it easier perhaps to come up with an acceptable trade for both sides.

If you sign and trade Sap, you aren't going to use his 2016-17 salary to figure out how much we take back.  You really need to find a team that doesn't have the cap room to sign Sap and that Sap wants to sign with and then come up with some token they are willing to give us to make it happen.  It could happen since a lot of competitive teams don't have the room for what he will want in salary.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Dang. It be like...

hqdefault.jpg

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you sign and trade Sap, you aren't going to use his 2016-17 salary to figure out how much we take back.  You really need to find a team that doesn't have the cap room to sign Sap and that Sap wants to sign with and then come up with some token they are willing to give us to make it happen.  It could happen since a lot of competitive teams don't have the room for what he will want in salary.

Right. We'd said as much in another thread.

And again, the sticking point here is that we never hear about SnTs until July even when SnTs have been popular. I was made to think that there's something different this time.

So, best explanation I could come up with, again, is that signing him now and trading him now lowers the complication of getting to the 125% threshold you'd have to get to in order to have a max contract at ~$35k.

It does make some sense if you're not going to sign him anyway, and if a plausible contender (as you suggest) is willing to part with some assets we like.

They can't SnT him now.

This was Windbags speculation (don't trust him). 

Teams with not enough space may have reached out to Saps agents to see if he might be interested in joining (though technically it might be tampering since he's still ours for 2016). Then Saps agents might have checked in with Hawks to see if they were interested in SnT options.

If Millsap had picked up his player option I think (not sure) we could still trade him now before July 1st.

Too convoluted though.

38 minutes ago, sturt said:

As far as I am aware, we can't offer an extension to Paul Millsap until the second anniversary of his contract signing, which would be sometime during this coming free agency (not exactly sure of the date). Plus, he would have to opt into his player option to be eligible for an extension. He has already opted out to become a free agent, which means he is untradeable until he signs a new contract.

Edited by Bankingitbig
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

As far as I am aware, we can't offer an extension to Paul Millsap until the second anniversary of his contract signing, which would be sometime during this coming free agency (not exactly sure of the date). Plus, he would have to opt into his player option to be eligible for an extension. He has already opted out to become a free agent, which means he is untradeable until he signs a new contract.

I thought once the current contract has concluded, a team is able to negotiate freely with its players. But now that you bring it up, I think you're right that we can negotiate, but nothing official can be signed until the official new NBA year begins. And that, indeed, would preempt my working theory.

Just a side note... I had been under the impression that he's informed the team of his plans but... again, a technicality.... the actual player option can't be refused officially until the new year begins. No?

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

I thought once the current contract has concluded, a team is able to negotiate freely with its players. But now that you bring it up, I think you're right that we can negotiate, but nothing official can be signed until the official new NBA year begins. And that, indeed, would preempt my working theory.

Just a side note... I had been under the impression that he's informed the team of his plans but... again, a technicality.... the actual player option can't be refused officially until the new year begins. No?

Not entirely sure of the technicality of teams being able to freely negotiate with players that were on their roster prior to free agency. I know they aren't allowed to begin negotiations with other free agents until the Moratorium period begins. That said, I believe most teams work around it in ways and communicate with player agents. For example, Mozgov basically agreed to his deal last year after only like 5mins into the Moratorium period, so obviously they would have had negotiated previously.

Actually, his deadline on the Player Option is today. I believe he has already officially opted out back on May 22.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

teams being able to freely negotiate with players that were on their roster prior to free agency.

I'm fairly confident he's still on our roster until the official new NBA year begins.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Mozgov basically agreed to his deal last year after only like 5mins into the Moratorium period, so obviously they would have had negotiated previously.

In fairness, that deal was so stupidly overpriced that Mozgov and his agent could have gotten it for the first time and signed on the dotted line within 5 minutes.  They were probably thinking there was a typo with an extra 0 added to the end of the contract and that they would sign before anyone noticed.

• Like 2