• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Diesel Question of the Day... 6-30-2017

Diesel

• Premium Member

As we stand on the eve of Free agency... just about 6 hours left.  Here's the question:

Would you give up everything we have for a Generational Talent?

What player do we have now wouldn't you give for a Generational Talent in Atlanta?

Are there any players in the draft over the next 3 years that look like they will make the Harden, Westbrook, KD, Curry level?  Moreover, would you go into full tank mode to get them (Scourge the earth, get rid of everybody here). 

• Premium Member

Yes.  IN the draft.   Not the Lebron, Duncan Level... but how about the Harden, Curry, KD, and Westbrook Level?

Westbrook was a 4 pick. 

KD was a 2 pick. 

Harden was a 3 pick.

Curry was a 7 pick.

Leonard was a 15 pick.

Are there any guys in the draft or any guys going into their 2nd or 3rd year that you think can be that level guy... KD, Curry, Westrbook. Leonard, or Harden??

Yes I would give up everything the Hawks have for a generational talent.  Considering the Hawks have very little it wouldn't sting at all.  Not a single player on this team would make upset about losing.  Miles Bridges will make a big push to become the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft.  He's an insane talent and can do everything on the court.  Would I do everything in my power to get him?  Really tough to say right now...if he has the type of Sophomore season I think he can have then there is a discussion to have.  As it stands right now my answer would be no.

14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Yes.  IN the draft.   Not the Lebron, Duncan Level... but how about the Harden, Curry, KD, and Westbrook Level?

Westbrook was a 4 pick. 

KD was a 2 pick. 

Harden was a 3 pick.

Curry was a 7 pick.

Leonard was a 15 pick.

Are there any guys in the draft or any guys going into their 2nd or 3rd year that you think can be that level guy... KD, Curry, Westrbook. Leonard, or Harden??

It's very hard to say, particularly when you look at the most recent drafts.  It's hard to find freshman college players who produced to the level of Kevin Durant during their first year of college.  Westbrook, Harden, and Leonard were all 2 year guys in college while Curry was a 3 year guy.  The thing is, most prospects are leaving too early now, so the majority of the 3rd year guys coming in are not going to be at the level of Curry unless it is actually someone who is a standout from a smaller school.  

I think what you are more than likely going to get these days with higher draft picks are guys like Andrew Wiggins, D'Angelo Russel, and Brandon Ingram who very clearly have not lived up to their draft status, and this is one reason why I'm against dipping into the lottery because once you do, it will be MULTIPLE years before you get out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think what you are more than likely going to get these days with higher draft picks are guys like Andrew Wiggins, D'Angelo Russel, and Brandon Ingram who very clearly have not lived up to their draft status, and this is one reason why I'm against dipping into the lottery because once you do, it will be MULTIPLE years before you get out.

This.

This is why I'm against tanking for the most part. Especially when teams like Philly try to build their entire starting lineup from the draft, not only do you have to hope that all of those picks pan out, but if they do it becomes expensive to keep them all because their contracts would be only a few years apart. I like what Minnesota did, pairing their up and coming star with an already established one and getting a veteran presence in Teague instead of waiting for Dunn to catch up. 

Edited by aali34

24 minutes ago, aali34 said:

This.

This is why I'm against tanking for the most part. Especially when teams like Philly try to build their entire starting lineup from the draft, not only do you have to hope that all of those picks pan out, but if they do it becomes expensive to keep them all because their contracts would be only a few years apart. I like what Minnesota did, pairing their up and coming star with an already established one and getting a veteran presence in Teague instead of waiting for Dunn to catch up. 

The thing with the Timberwolves is even though they got Towns in 2015, they have been in the lottery for 10+ years.  This is one of the big problems with the idea of "well, we will just lose a bunch of games and get a star player with a top 3 pick".  It doesn't work out that well.  It's a lot easier said than done.  Minnesota hasn't made the playoffs since 2005.  

• Like 1