• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will you sign this guy already?

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Hard to say. Quite possible, though, that he got through waivers after all. On the one hand, the NOP site has the team announcing Cook and the other guy were put on waivers Tuesday, and the first tweets seen came about midday; but if you look at the NBA site's transaction feed, they both were waived as-of Monday.

Here's the other reason that maybe Hawks Command would wait.... there are now two big deals (you-know-who, and then also, the-other-you-know-who) considered by many, if not most, to be highly likely to go down at some point.

It might be thought that there's some wisdom in leaving the roster slot open because we're among those teams who might be a reasonable 3rd team in either one, or who knows, not-likely-but-conceivably-even both...

So why did we grab Brussino if that's the mindset? Perhaps it's thought that Brussino offers some fairly rare qualities found in a 6-8 player, so it made some sense to grab him off the shelf... and that, while Cook's talent might be develop-able into a legit rotation PG, still, in the big picture, his talents are fairly pedestrian.

Just throwing that out there as one possibility.

• Like 2

Somewhat off-topic, but I saw a tweet that Ian Clark has rejected several min salary offers. Wonder if one of those was from us. I agree with Sturt in that teams may be holding their chips until those 2 big-name players get dealt, but it also looks like some of these guys remaining in FAcy are still stuck at those crazy contracts given last off-season. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Personally, I think they're smart to do 1 year contracts--as much as last year's market was off, I think this year's market is (for the most part, not entirely) just as off, but the pendulum swung the other way. The market at some point has to account for, not just the difference at the extremes, but that there is more differentiation in talent in the middle than is being expressed in these 2017 contracts.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Here's the other reason that maybe Hawks Command would wait.... there are now two big deals (you-know-who, and then also, the-other-you-know-who) considered by many, if not most, to be highly likely to go down at some point.

It might be thought that there's some wisdom in leaving the roster slot open because we're among those teams who might be a reasonable 3rd team in either one, or who knows, not-likely-but-conceivably-even both...

Very true.

Well according to real GM the Hawks are not one of the teams looking at trading for Kyrie Irving so they need to go ahead and claim Quinn cook. Do something Schlenk or lose out.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Well according to real GM the Hawks are not one of the teams looking at trading for Kyrie Irving so they need to go ahead and claim Quinn cook. Do something Schlenk or lose out.

Not sure about that.

I for one would be more inclined to think, of the two, we'd be more likely to be become involved in a Melo trade because of his higher salary. Kyrie probably can be acquired w/o any need for a 3rd team (though it remains an open question, regardless).