• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What was the Impact of....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I have given the Hawks fans food for thought about past moves... so todays.. what was the impact of is...  The Jason Terry trade.

ATLANTA (August 4, 2004) -- The Atlanta Hawks have obtained three-time All-Star Antoine Walker and Tony Delk from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Jason Terry, Alan Henderson and a future first-round draft pick, according to Hawks' General Manager Billy Knight.

The future first was a 2007 first round pick... that did not go to Dallas because it was lottery protected.  They got cash  and Nick Fazekas instead.

Terry, selected by the Hawks 10th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft, finishes his Atlanta career with averages of 16.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg and 3.3 apg in 403 games (341 starts), shooting .427 FG%, .367 3FG% and .827 FT%).

Terry ranks prominently in several Hawks career lists including three-pointers made (2nd), three-pointers attempted (4th), free throw percentage (3rd), assists (8th) and steals (6th). The 6-2 guard was second on the team in scoring last year at 16.8 ppg, and led the club in assists each of the last five seasons.

The trade of Henderson snaps his stretch as the second-longest tenured player with the same team in the NBA currently (behind Indiana's Reggie Miller), having spent his first nine seasons with the Hawks. He was slowed by injury (various back ailments) last season, appearing in six games and averaging 4.0 ppg and 3.5 rpg (.476 FG%, .667 FT%).

Last season, the versatile Walker (right) averaged 14.0 points, 8.3 rebounds and 4.5 assists in 34.6 minutes, as the only Maverick to start all 82 games. He finished second on the talented squad in rebounding as well as assists, in addition to hitting 42.8 percent of his field goals, 26.9 percent from three-point range and 55.4 percent from the foul line. Walker recorded 60 double-figure scoring games, and finished with 20 or more points 18 times.

Delk played in 33 games (11 starts) last season, averaging 6.0 ppg and 1.8 rpg in 15.4 mpg (.380 FG%, .303 3FG%, .841 FT%). He scored in double figures seven times, and missed a total of 59 games due to injury.

That was an era in Hawks basketball I'm sorry to say I missed out on (or maybe not?) but always appreciated the Jet.  Alan Henderson was here 9 years?  Geesh.  I'll always remember Tony Delk because he dropped fiddy and Joe never did.  Never cared much for Antoine Waller either.  I was much more of a Mashburn type of cat.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

That was an era in Hawks basketball I'm sorry to say I missed out on (or maybe not?) but always appreciated the Jet.  Alan Henderson was here 9 years?  Geesh.  I'll always remember Tony Delk because he dropped fiddy and Joe never did.  Never cared much for Antoine Waller either.  I was much more of a Mashburn type of cat.

Yeah.. Who didn't love... Mash... He was the most complete player....

• Moderators

Terry's draft selection came by way of the Mookie trade in 1999. We had three latter first-rounders but it was pretty much disastrous after JET (Cal Bowdler, my dude Dion Glover, and we traded Jumaine Jones on draft night). Terry kept that draft haul from being awful on a Frederic-Weis-over-Artest, tell-your-grandkids legendary scale, but there were some missed opportunities there to build a decent young core together.

Hendu (Wikipedia, right now, unabashedly calls him a "defensive stalwart" on the Mavs page) being a part of the deal was somewhat telling. Hawks fans were growing tired of trotting out the same guys for years that weren't winning, weren't advancing, and weren't evolving.

I got the sense that we felt as if we were already at that stage with Terry, soon to be age 27 a few months after the deal. We were getting stale, and Terry will always be what he is now ("now" being in 2004). Some shot-jacking low-percentage shoot-first point guard with a constant green light.

Of course, he gets to Big D and with all eyes on Dirk he becomes a steady 40-plus-percentage gunner, rewarding the Mavs' patience and commitment with a Sixth Man Award, a NBA playoff record nine three-pointers against the Lakers, and a key offensive role in the NBA Finals (the second one, anyway).

Back here, still smarting from the Isaiah Rider fiasco(es) of 1999, I could not have imagined a more inapt addition to the Hawks' roster than the Original Shimmy Man. Horrid shooting, even more horrid shot selection, atrocious on-ball defense, the worst possible free throw shooting, rudderless leadership... and we gave him 40 minutes a night, and more ball-domination than Terry ever had here, because Toine was a three-time All-Star in Boston, don'cha know?

Add in a new coach, maybe a dash of Jon Barry subterfuge, and grant something named Peja Drobnjak ("Yak!" wasn't he, like, the first NBA player-blogger?) the most minutes off the bench, and of course we went 13-69: I assume BK had no playoff plans anytime soon, giving that 2007 conditional pick away. Still, I always get chills envisioning poor rookie Josh Smith looking to his left for helpful teammate guidance and there was Toine. Looks the right, and there was Al Harrington. Talk about a BIG3!

But it wasn't all bad. After all, we were grooming a starting center for the future in Jason Collier! That Josh Childress guy has a broke jumper right now but looks like a keeper. And there's the 2005 Draft coming up. Hey, maybe we'll hit it out of the park with our next lottery pick!...

Tony Delk was a nice small-ball guard off the bench, I liked him.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Still, I always get chills envisioning poor rookie Josh Smith looking to his left for helpful teammate guidance and there was Toine. Looks the right, and there was Al Harrington. Talk about a BIG3!

~lw3

^ This is why I'm not as hard on Smoove as other posters here are. The kid was a blank slate, and these were his 'vets'. How else was he supposed to turn out? That's why I'm glad the Hawks are emphasizing player development now. We wasted too much potential during the previous rebuild. We drafted guys that obviously needed work, but then failed to help them improve. There's no way guys like Smoove, Marv, and even Childress would've turned out the way they did under the current regime.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

^ This is why I'm not as hard on Smoove as other posters here are. The kid was a blank slate, and these were his 'vets'. How else was he supposed to turn out? That's why I'm glad the Hawks are emphasizing player development now. We wasted too much potential during the previous rebuild. We drafted guys that obviously needed work, but then failed to help them improve. There's no way guys like Smoove, Marv, and even Childress would've turned out the way they did under the current regime.

I won't lie.  I like the dynamic we had without Walker.  When we signed Joe.. I thought that Joe and Harrington were a good inside out combination.  Harrington was like an 18/8 guy playing PF and Joe was like a 17/6 guy at the 2.   If we would have had a PG like Bibby then... and some semblence of a defenisve C.. I think that team could have done a lot. 

• Like 2